A Note on the Two-Input Arc Elasticity of Substitution
This note suggests a measure for the two-input arc elasticity of substitution that comes up naturally and preserves the salient characteristic of the Hicks-Robinson original concept. In particular, (i) it gives the average value of point substitution elasticities over the logarithmic arc of the input price ratio, and leads therefore to the exact estimation of the CES production function family, and (ii) its relationships with the discrete change in factor shares are formally parallel to those well known for the point elasticity assumption.
Volume (Year): 23 (2008)
Issue (Month): 2 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.colmex.mx/centros/cee/|
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Andres Vazquez, 1998. "An alternative definition of the arc elasticity of demand," Journal of Economic Studies, Emerald Group Publishing, vol. 25(6), pages 553-562, October.
- Blackorby, Charles & Russell, R Robert, 1989. "Will the Real Elasticity of Substitution Please Stand Up? (A Comparison of the Allen/Uzawa and Morishima Elasticities)," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 79(4), pages 882-88, September.
- M. Bronfenbrenner, 1960. "A Note on Relative Shares and the Elasticity of Substitution," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 68, pages 284.
- Samuelson, Paul A, 1973. "Relative Shares and Elasticities Simplified: Comment," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 63(4), pages 770-71, September.
- Bigman, David, 1978. "Derived Demand and Distributive Shares in a Multifactor Multisector Model," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 68(5), pages 923-28, December.
- Anderson, R. K. & Moroney, J. R., 1993. "Morishima elasticities of substitution with nested production functions," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 42(2-3), pages 159-166.
- Diewert, W Erwin, 1978. "Superlative Index Numbers and Consistency in Aggregation," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 46(4), pages 883-900, July.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:emx:esteco:v:23:y:2008:i:2:p:313-322. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Rocío Contreras)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.