Attribution of changes in Divisia real energy intensity index — An extension to index decomposition analysis
In this paper we extend the methodology of index decomposition analysis (IDA) in energy studies by quantifying the contribution of individual attributes to the percent change of factors such as the real energy intensity index and structural change index. We apply the proposed method to the real energy intensity index in the multiplicative Logarithmic Mean Divisia Index (M-LMDI) approach, a major IDA technique. Since the M-LMDI is based on geometric mean type indices and chain computation, we need some appropriate method to cope with the difficulties that arise. We present a numerical illustration of the proposed method using the energy consumption and real value added data of the US manufacturing industry, and compare the results obtained by the Fisher real energy intensity index.
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- de Boer, Paul, 2009. "Generalized Fisher index or Siegel-Shapley decomposition?," Energy Economics, Elsevier, vol. 31(5), pages 810-814, September.
- Ang, B.W. & Mu, A.R. & Zhou, P., 2010. "Accounting frameworks for tracking energy efficiency trends," Energy Economics, Elsevier, vol. 32(5), pages 1209-1219, September.
- Paul De Boer, 2009. "Multiplicative Decomposition And Index Number Theory: An Empirical Application Of The Sato-Vartia Decomposition," Economic Systems Research, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 21(2), pages 163-174.
- Dumagan, Jesus C., 2002. "Comparing the superlative Tornqvist and Fisher ideal indexes," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 76(2), pages 251-258, July.
- B. W. Ang & Ki-Hong Choi, 1997. "Decomposition of Aggregate Energy and Gas Emission Intensities for Industry: A Refined Divisia Index Method," The Energy Journal, International Association for Energy Economics, vol. 0(Number 3), pages 59-73.
- Hallerbach, Winfried G., 2005.
"An alternative decomposition of the Fisher index,"
Elsevier, vol. 86(2), pages 147-152, February.
- Hallerbach, W.G.P.M., 2004. "An Alternative Decomposition Of The Fisher Index," ERIM Report Series Research in Management ERS-2004-022-F&A, Erasmus Research Institute of Management (ERIM), ERIM is the joint research institute of the Rotterdam School of Management, Erasmus University and the Erasmus School of Economics (ESE) at Erasmus University Rotterdam.
- Ang, B.W., 2006. "Monitoring changes in economy-wide energy efficiency: From energy-GDP ratio to composite efficiency index," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 34(5), pages 574-582, March.
- Ang, B. W., 2004. "Decomposition analysis for policymaking in energy:: which is the preferred method?," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 32(9), pages 1131-1139, June.
- Ang, B.W. & Zhang, F.Q., 2000. "A survey of index decomposition analysis in energy and environmental studies," Energy, Elsevier, vol. 25(12), pages 1149-1176.
- Weber, Christopher L., 2009. "Measuring structural change and energy use: Decomposition of the US economy from 1997 to 2002," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 37(4), pages 1561-1570, April.
- Liu, Na & Ang, B.W., 2007. "Factors shaping aggregate energy intensity trend for industry: Energy intensity versus product mix," Energy Economics, Elsevier, vol. 29(4), pages 609-635, July.
- Paul De Boer, 2008. "Additive Structural Decomposition Analysis and Index Number Theory: An Empirical Application of the Montgomery Decomposition," Economic Systems Research, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 20(1), pages 97-109.
- Sato, Kazuo, 1976. "The Ideal Log-Change Index Number," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 58(2), pages 223-28, May.
- Ang, BW, 1994. "Decomposition of industrial energy consumption : The energy intensity approach," Energy Economics, Elsevier, vol. 16(3), pages 163-174, July.
- Wood, Richard, 2009. "Structural decomposition analysis of Australia's greenhouse gas emissions," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 37(11), pages 4943-4948, November.
- Gale A. Boyd and Joseph M. Roop, 2004. "A Note on the Fisher Ideal Index Decomposition for Structural Change in Energy Intensity," The Energy Journal, International Association for Energy Economics, vol. 0(Number 1), pages 87-102.
- Diewert, W Erwin, 1978. "Superlative Index Numbers and Consistency in Aggregation," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 46(4), pages 883-900, July.
- Choi, Ki-Hong & Ang, B. W., 2003. "Decomposition of aggregate energy intensity changes in two measures: ratio and difference," Energy Economics, Elsevier, vol. 25(6), pages 615-624, November.
- Wachsmann, Ulrike & Wood, Richard & Lenzen, Manfred & Schaeffer, Roberto, 2009. "Structural decomposition of energy use in Brazil from 1970 to 1996," Applied Energy, Elsevier, vol. 86(4), pages 578-587, April.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:eneeco:v:34:y:2012:i:1:p:171-176. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Shamier, Wendy)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.