Structural decomposition of energy use in Brazil from 1970 to 1996
This paper examines the sources of changes in energy use of the Brazilian economy of industries and households from 1970 to 1996, using structural decomposition analysis based on the logarithmic mean divisia index technique. Energy use can be decomposed into eight factors that explain changes in overall energy use over the entire time period, and within five sub-periods. The growth of energy use between 1970 and 1996 was mainly influenced by changes in affluence, population and intersectoral dependencies, while changes in direct energy intensity and per capita residential energy use had a retarding impact on energy use. The novel contributions of the paper are the alignment of a previously disparate data set, the use of supply-use tables for SDA, and the application of such an SDA to a developing country. Both contributions involve solving a range of methodological issues pertaining to handling of large data sets.
Volume (Year): 86 (2009)
Issue (Month): 4 (April)
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/wps/find/journaldescription.cws_home/405891/description#description|
|Order Information:|| Postal: http://www.elsevier.com/wps/find/journaldescription.cws_home/405891/bibliographic|
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Cohen, Claude & Lenzen, Manfred & Schaeffer, Roberto, 2005. "Energy requirements of households in Brazil," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 33(4), pages 555-562, March.
- Ang, B.W & Zhang, F.Q & Choi, Ki-Hong, 1998. "Factorizing changes in energy and environmental indicators through decomposition," Energy, Elsevier, vol. 23(6), pages 489-495.
- Manfred Lenzen & Lise-Lotte Pade & Jesper Munksgaard, 2004. "CO2 Multipliers in Multi-region Input-Output Models," Economic Systems Research, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 16(4), pages 391-412.
- Mette Wier, 1998. "Sources of Changes in Emissions from Energy: A Structural Decomposition Analysis," Economic Systems Research, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 10(2), pages 99-112.
- B. W. Ang & Ki-Hong Choi, 1997. "Decomposition of Aggregate Energy and Gas Emission Intensities for Industry: A Refined Divisia Index Method," The Energy Journal, International Association for Energy Economics, vol. 0(Number 3), pages 59-73.
- Mielnik, Otavio & Goldemberg, Jose, 2000. "Converging to a common pattern of energy use in developing and industrialized countries," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 28(8), pages 503-508, July.
- Kakali Mukhopadhyay & Debesh Chakraborty, 1999. "India's Energy Consumption Changes during 1973/74 to 1991/92," Economic Systems Research, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 11(4), pages 423-438.
- Machado, Giovani & Schaeffer, Roberto & Worrell, Ernst, 2001. "Energy and carbon embodied in the international trade of Brazil: an input-output approach," Ecological Economics, Elsevier, vol. 39(3), pages 409-424, December.
- Guilhoto, Joaquim J.M. & Hewings, Geoffrey J.D. & Sonis, Michael & Jiemin, Guo, 2001. "Research Note: Economic Structural Change Over Time: Brazil and the United States Compared," MPRA Paper 42539, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Lenzen, Manfred, 2006. "Decomposition analysis and the mean-rate-of-change index," Applied Energy, Elsevier, vol. 83(3), pages 185-198, March.
- Wood, Richard & Lenzen, Manfred, 2006. "Zero-value problems of the logarithmic mean divisia index decomposition method," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 34(12), pages 1326-1331, August.
- Rosa, Luiz Pinguelli & Tolmasquim, Mauricio Tiomno, 1993. "An analytical model to compare energy-efficiency indices and CO2 emissions in developed and developing countries," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 21(3), pages 276-283, March.
- Guilhoto, Joaquim J. M. & Hewings, Geoffrey J. D. & Sonis, Michael & Guo, Jiemin, 2001. "Economic structural change over time: Brazil and the United States compared," Journal of Policy Modeling, Elsevier, vol. 23(6), pages 703-711, August.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:appene:v:86:y:2009:i:4:p:578-587. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Dana Niculescu)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.