Research Note: Economic Structural Change Over Time: Brazil and the United States Compared
Using input-output tables for the economies of Brazil and the United States, this comparative study focuses on changes in the economic structure of two large countries with different levels of development over time (1958-77 for the United States and 1959-80 for Brazil). The change in the economic structure is decomposed into three initial components (final demand, technology, and their synergistic interaction) and thereafter these components are further divided into change initiated within the sector and outside the sector. The results indicate a rather remarkable degree of commonality in the patterns of growth processes in both countries,with more significant differences between sectors than between countries. The analysis confirmed earlier findings about the role of demand changes but was able to capture important differences in internal-to-sector versus external-to-sector sources of demand change.
|Date of creation:||2001|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Web page: https://mpra.ub.uni-muenchen.de
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Feldman, Stanley J & McClain, David & Palmer, Karen, 1987. "Sources of Structural Change in the United States, 1963-78: An Input-Output Perspective," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 69(3), pages 503-10, August.
- Skolka, Jiri, 1989. "Input-output structural decomposition analysis for Austria," Journal of Policy Modeling, Elsevier, vol. 11(1), pages 45-66.
- Hewings, Geoffrey J.D. & Fonseca, Miguel A. & Guilhoto, Joaquim José Martins & Sonis, Michael, 1989.
"Key sectors and structural change in the Brazilian economy: a comparsion of alternative approaches and their policy implications,"
54761, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Hewings, Geoffrey J. D. & Fonseca, Manuel & Guilhoto, Joaquim & Sonis, Michael, 1989. "Key sectors and structural change in the Brazilian economy: A comparison of alternative approaches and their policy implications," Journal of Policy Modeling, Elsevier, vol. 11(1), pages 67-90.
- Sonis, Michael & Hewings, Geoffrey J.D., 1993. "Hierarchies of Regional Sub-Structures and Their Multipliers within Input-output Systems Miyazawa Revisited," Hitotsubashi Journal of Economics, Hitotsubashi University, vol. 34(1), pages 33-44, June.
- Bezdek, Roger H & Wendling, Robert M, 1976. "Disaggregation of Structural Change in the American Economy: 1947-1966," Review of Income and Wealth, International Association for Research in Income and Wealth, vol. 22(2), pages 167-85, June.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:pra:mprapa:42539. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Ekkehart Schlicht)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.