Linking corporate entrepreneurship and human resource management in SMEs
Purpose - This article seeks to analyse the human resource management (HRM) practices adopted in small and medium-sized enterprises (SMEs) for promoting corporate entrepreneurship (CE) in the Spanish context. The specific objectives of the inquiry revolve around two main research questions: What HRM practices are most beneficial for promoting CE in SMEs? How do HRM practices promote an appropriate working environment for CE in SMEs? Design/methodology/approach - The idea of human resource practices as a key resource is analyzed in the framework of a broader perspective of strategic management known as the resource-based view of the firm. Additionally, literatures concerning CE and HRM in small firms are integrated and reviewed. The empirical study is carried out by adopting a multiple-case study approach. Findings - Evidence shows that the creation of personal relationships and the development of an open communication between owner-managers and employees, and among employees themselves, can help to explain the dynamics of entrepreneurial behaviors within small firms. The openness in the communication is important, not only for promoting CE activities, but also for creating the most appropriate work environment to carry out other resource management practices that stimulate entrepreneurial behaviors. Originality/value - This study integrates the research on CE and HRM practices in a field of study rarely analyzed, such as Spanish SMEs. The approach shows that there is sound evidence supporting the importance of analyzing the factors leading to the emergence of CE, including intangible resources such as the human resource practices that increase the employees' entrepreneurial attitudes.
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Volume (Year): 32 (2011)
Issue (Month): 1 (March)
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.emeraldinsight.com|
|Order Information:|| Postal: Emerald Group Publishing, Howard House, Wagon Lane, Bingley, BD16 1WA, UK|
Web: http://www.emeraldinsight.com/ijm.htm Email:
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Zahra, Shaker A., 1991. "Predictors and financial outcomes of corporate entrepreneurship: An exploratory study," Journal of Business Venturing, Elsevier, vol. 6(4), pages 259-285, July.
- Zahra, Shaker A., 1995. "Corporate entrepreneurship and financial performance: The case of management leveraged buyouts," Journal of Business Venturing, Elsevier, vol. 10(3), pages 225-247, May.
- Gartner, William B. & Birley, Sue, 2002. "Introduction to the special issue on qualitative methods in entrepreneurship research," Journal of Business Venturing, Elsevier, vol. 17(5), pages 387-395, September.
- Veneta Andonova & Hernando Zuleta, 2007. "The effect of enforcement on human resources practices: A case study in rural Colombia," International Journal of Manpower, Emerald Group Publishing, vol. 28(1), pages 344 - 353, April.
- Lew Perren & Geoff Stevens, 2008. "My life as a service-worker," Service Business, Springer;Pan-Pacific Business Association, vol. 2(2), pages 147-152, June.
- David Urbano & Desislava Yordanova, 2008. "Determinants of the adoption of HRM practices in tourism SMEs in Spain: an exploratory study," Service Business, Springer;Pan-Pacific Business Association, vol. 2(3), pages 167-185, September.
- Robert A. Burgelman, 1983. "Corporate Entrepreneurship and Strategic Management: Insights from a Process Study," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 29(12), pages 1349-1364, December.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eme:ijmpps:v:32:y:2011:i:1:p:34-47. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Virginia Chapman)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.