A Monetary Model of Exchange Rate and Balance of Payments Adjustment
This article proposes an alternative monetary model for examining the effects of domestic monetary shocks on the exchange rate and the balance of payments. Using an output-expenditure framework, it shows that domestic monetary shocks can drive a wedge between national expenditure and production and generate incipient current account imbalances with exchange rate and balance of payments implications. Contrary to previous monetary approaches, the model suggests a new chain of causality that runs from domestic money to the exchange rate to the price level, rather than from money to the price level to the exchange rate. It also shows that under fixed rates external adjustment is consistent with money market equilibrium and price level stability.
Volume (Year): 10 (2005)
Issue (Month): 1 (March)
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Web page: http://www.economicissues.org.uk
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Frenkel, Jacob A, 1976. " A Monetary Approach to the Exchange Rate: Doctrinal Aspects and Empirical Evidence," Scandinavian Journal of Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 78(2), pages 200-224.
- Bruce, Neil & Purvis, Douglas D., 1985.
"The specification and influence of goods and factor markets in open-economy macroeconomic models,"
Handbook of International Economics,
in: R. W. Jones & P. B. Kenen (ed.), Handbook of International Economics, edition 1, volume 2, chapter 16, pages 807-857
- Neil Bruce & Douglas D. Purvis, 1982. "The Specification and Influence of Goods and Factor Markets in Open Economy Macroeconomic Models," Working Papers 499, Queen's University, Department of Economics.
- Maurice Obstfeld & Kenneth S. Rogoff, 1996. "Foundations of International Macroeconomics," MIT Press Books, The MIT Press, edition 1, volume 1, number 0262150476, June.
- Sarno,Lucio & Taylor,Mark P., 2003. "The Economics of Exchange Rates," Cambridge Books, Cambridge University Press, number 9780521485845.
- V. V. Chari & Patrick J. Kehoe & Ellen R. McGrattan, 1998.
"Sticky price models of the business cycle: can the contract multiplier solve the persistence problem?,"
217, Federal Reserve Bank of Minneapolis.
- V. V. Chari & Patrick J. Kehoe & Ellen R. McGrattan, 2000. "Sticky Price Models of the Business Cycle: Can the Contract Multiplier Solve the Persistence Problem?," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 68(5), pages 1151-1180, September.
- V. V. Chari & Patrick J. Kehoe & Ellen R. McGrattan, 1996. "Sticky Price Models of the Business Cycle: Can the Contract Multiplier Solve the Persistence Problem?," NBER Working Papers 5809, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- MacDonald, Ronald, 1999. "Exchange Rate Behaviour: Are Fundamentals Important?," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 109(459), pages F673-91, November.
- Sidney S. Alexander, 1952. "Effects of a Devaluation on a Trade Balance," IMF Staff Papers, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 2(2), pages 263-278, April.
- J. J. Polak, 1957. "Monetary Analysis of Income Formation and Payments Problems," IMF Staff Papers, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 6(1), pages 1-50, November.
- Rogoff, Kenneth, 1999. "Monetary Models of Dollar/Yen/Euro Nominal Exchange Rates: Dead or Undead?," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 109(459), pages F655-59, November.
- Sachs, Jeffrey, 1982. " The Current Account in the Macroeconomic Adjustment Process," Scandinavian Journal of Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 84(2), pages 147-59.
- Anthony J. Makin, 2004. "The Current Account, Fiscal Policy, and Medium-Run Income Determination," Contemporary Economic Policy, Western Economic Association International, vol. 22(3), pages 309-317, 07.
- Giancarlo Corsetti & Paolo Pesenti, 2001. "Welfare and Macroeconomic Interdependence," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 116(2), pages 421-445.
- Johnson, Harry G., 1977. "The monetary approach to the balance of payments : A nontechnical guide," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 7(3), pages 251-268, August.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eis:articl:105makin. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Dan Wheatley)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.