Determinants of a Digital Divide in Sub-Saharan Africa: A Spatial Econometric Analysis of Cell Phone Coverage
Summary This paper investigates the determinants of disparities in coverage by cell telephone systems in Sub-Saharan Africa. It uses a spatially disaggregated probit for over 990,000 grid cells with adjustments for spatial autocorrelation. Determinants include potential market size (population); cost factors related to accessibility (elevation, slope, distance from a main road, and distance from the nearest large city); and competition policy. Estimates indicate significant results for the supply-demand variables, and very strong results for the competition policy index. Simulations suggest that a generalized improvement in competition policy could lead to huge improvements in cell phone area coverage, and to an overall coverage increase of nearly 100%.
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Frempong, G. K. & Atubra, W. H., 2001. "Liberalisation of telecoms: the Ghanaian experience," Telecommunications Policy, Elsevier, vol. 25(3), pages 197-210, April.
- Varoudakis, Aristomene & Rossotto, Carlo Maria, 2004. "Regulatory reform and performance in telecommunications: unrealized potential in the MENA countries," Telecommunications Policy, Elsevier, vol. 28(1), pages 59-78, February.
- Elbadawi, Ibrahim A., 1999. "Can Africa export manufactures? The role of endowment, exchange rates, and transaction costs," Policy Research Working Paper Series 2120, The World Bank.
- Anselin, Luc, 2002. "Under the hood : Issues in the specification and interpretation of spatial regression models," Agricultural Economics, Blackwell, vol. 27(3), pages 247-267, November.
- Newman, Eugene, 1993. "The challenge of international value-added network services : Agreements in the Asia-Pacific area," Telecommunications Policy, Elsevier, vol. 17(5), pages 370-375, July.
- Srivastava, Lara & Sinha, Sidharth, 2001. "TP case study: fixed-mobile interconnection in India," Telecommunications Policy, Elsevier, vol. 25(1-2), pages 21-38, February.
- Minges, Michael, 1999. "Mobile cellular communications in the Southern African region," Telecommunications Policy, Elsevier, vol. 23(7-8), pages 585-593, August.
- Dasgupta, Susmita & Lall, Somik & Wheeler, David, 2001. "Policy reform, economic growth, and the digital divide - an econometric analysis," Policy Research Working Paper Series 2567, The World Bank.
- Anselin, Luc, 2002. "Under the hood Issues in the specification and interpretation of spatial regression models," Agricultural Economics of Agricultural Economists, International Association of Agricultural Economists, vol. 27(3), November.
- Yan, Xu, 2001. "The impact of the regulatory framework on fixed-mobile interconnection settlements: the case of China and Hong Kong," Telecommunications Policy, Elsevier, vol. 25(7), pages 515-532, August.
- Ibarguen, Giancarlo, 2003. "Liberating the radio spectrum in Guatemala," Telecommunications Policy, Elsevier, vol. 27(7), pages 543-554, August.
- Banerjee, Aniruddha & Ros, Agustin J., 2004. "Patterns in global fixed and mobile telecommunications development: a cluster analysis," Telecommunications Policy, Elsevier, vol. 28(2), pages 107-132, March.
- Elbers, Chris & Lanjouw, Peter, 2001. "Intersectoral Transfer, Growth, and Inequality in Rural Ecuador," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 29(3), pages 481-496, March.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:wdevel:v:37:y:2009:i:9:p:1494-1505. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.