Determinants of a Digital Divide in Sub-Saharan Africa: A Spatial Econometric Analysis of Cell Phone Coverage
Summary This paper investigates the determinants of disparities in coverage by cell telephone systems in Sub-Saharan Africa. It uses a spatially disaggregated probit for over 990,000 grid cells with adjustments for spatial autocorrelation. Determinants include potential market size (population); cost factors related to accessibility (elevation, slope, distance from a main road, and distance from the nearest large city); and competition policy. Estimates indicate significant results for the supply-demand variables, and very strong results for the competition policy index. Simulations suggest that a generalized improvement in competition policy could lead to huge improvements in cell phone area coverage, and to an overall coverage increase of nearly 100%.
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Srivastava, Lara & Sinha, Sidharth, 2001. "TP case study: fixed-mobile interconnection in India," Telecommunications Policy, Elsevier, vol. 25(1-2), pages 21-38, February.
- Newman, Eugene, 1993. "The challenge of international value-added network services : Agreements in the Asia-Pacific area," Telecommunications Policy, Elsevier, vol. 17(5), pages 370-375, July.
- Elbadawi, Ibrahim A., 1999. "Can Africa export manufactures? The role of endowment, exchange rates, and transaction costs," Policy Research Working Paper Series 2120, The World Bank.
- Elbers, Chris & Lanjouw, Peter, 2001. "Intersectoral Transfer, Growth, and Inequality in Rural Ecuador," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 29(3), pages 481-496, March.
- Frempong, G. K. & Atubra, W. H., 2001. "Liberalisation of telecoms: the Ghanaian experience," Telecommunications Policy, Elsevier, vol. 25(3), pages 197-210, April.
- Dasgupta, Susmita & Lall, Somik & Wheeler, David, 2001. "Policy reform, economic growth, and the digital divide - an econometric analysis," Policy Research Working Paper Series 2567, The World Bank.
- Anselin, Luc, 2002. "Under the hood : Issues in the specification and interpretation of spatial regression models," Agricultural Economics, Blackwell, vol. 27(3), pages 247-267, November.
- Anselin, Luc, 2002. "Under the hood Issues in the specification and interpretation of spatial regression models," Agricultural Economics of Agricultural Economists, International Association of Agricultural Economists, vol. 27(3), November.
- Varoudakis, Aristomene & Rossotto, Carlo Maria, 2004. "Regulatory reform and performance in telecommunications: unrealized potential in the MENA countries," Telecommunications Policy, Elsevier, vol. 28(1), pages 59-78, February.
- Yan, Xu, 2001. "The impact of the regulatory framework on fixed-mobile interconnection settlements: the case of China and Hong Kong," Telecommunications Policy, Elsevier, vol. 25(7), pages 515-532, August.
- Minges, Michael, 1999. "Mobile cellular communications in the Southern African region," Telecommunications Policy, Elsevier, vol. 23(7-8), pages 585-593, August.
- Ibarguen, Giancarlo, 2003. "Liberating the radio spectrum in Guatemala," Telecommunications Policy, Elsevier, vol. 27(7), pages 543-554, August.
- Banerjee, Aniruddha & Ros, Agustin J., 2004. "Patterns in global fixed and mobile telecommunications development: a cluster analysis," Telecommunications Policy, Elsevier, vol. 28(2), pages 107-132, March.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:wdevel:v:37:y:2009:i:9:p:1494-1505. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.