Competition and Innovation in Telecom Sector: Empirical Evidence from OECD Countries
The paper aims to analyze the effect of competition and innovation in OECD next-generation mobile phones (as a proxy for telecom sector) by examining factors affecting the diffusion pattern. A rigorous econometric model is estimated using the mobile telecommunications panel dataset comprised with the 19 OECD countries where at least 80% data are covered. The econometric model categorizes the variables as: (1) GDP per capita income and mobile user cost, (2) competition policies (3) telecom infrastructure (4) technological innovations (5) others such as role of MVNO (mobile virtual network operators), multiple standards for 3G as for the appropriateness of the outcome. The study represents country specific influence in terms of mobile contents and technological innovations. A new and important empirical finding is that there are still many opportunities available for mobile network operators (MNO) in this region by providing better telecom infrastructure to support technological innovations and to upheaval decreasing trend of average revenue per user (ARPU). Besides, the most important factors are identified as high speeds and necessary time require for porting mobile number.
Volume (Year): 18 (2014)
Issue (Month): 1 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: 6 ROMANA PLACE, 70167 - BUCHAREST|
Web page: http://revistaie.ase.ro/
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Rouvinen, Petri, 2006.
"Diffusion of digital mobile telephony: Are developing countries different?,"
Elsevier, vol. 30(1), pages 46-63, February.
- Rouvinen, Petri, 2004. "Diffusion of Digital Mobile Telephony: Are Developing Countries Different?," WIDER Working Paper Series 013, World Institute for Development Economic Research (UNU-WIDER).
- Rouvinen, Petri, 2004. "Diffusion of Digital Mobile Telephony - Are Devoloping Countries Different?," Discussion Papers 901, The Research Institute of the Finnish Economy.
- Fuentelsaz, Lucio & Maícas, Juan Pablo & Polo, Yolanda, 2008. "The evolution of mobile communications in Europe: The transition from the second to the third generation," Telecommunications Policy, Elsevier, vol. 32(6), pages 436-449, July.
- Madden, Gary G & Coble-Neal, Grant, 2004.
"Economic determinants of global mobile telephony growth,"
10828, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Madden, Gary & Coble-Neal, Grant, 2004. "Economic determinants of global mobile telephony growth," Information Economics and Policy, Elsevier, vol. 16(4), pages 519-534, December.
- Funk, Jeffrey L., 2007. "Solving the startup problem in Western mobile Internet markets," Telecommunications Policy, Elsevier, vol. 31(1), pages 14-30, February.
- Gary Madden & Ismail Saglam & Aaron Morey, 2010.
"Auction Design and the Success of National 3G Spectrum Auctions,"
1002, TOBB University of Economics and Technology, Department of Economics.
- Gary Madden & Ismail Saglam & Aaron Morey, 2010. "Auction Design and the Success of National 3G Spectrum Auctions," Koç University-TUSIAD Economic Research Forum Working Papers 1007, Koc University-TUSIAD Economic Research Forum.
- Bohlin, Anders & Gruber, Harald & Koutroumpis, Pantelis, 2010. "Diffusion of new technology generations in mobile communications," Information Economics and Policy, Elsevier, vol. 22(1), pages 51-60, March.
- Sheikh Taher ABU & Masatsugu TSUJI, 2010. "The Determinants of the Global Mobile Telephone Deployment: An Empirical Analysis," Informatica Economica, Academy of Economic Studies - Bucharest, Romania, vol. 14(3), pages 21-33.
- Banerjee, Aniruddha & Ros, Agustin J., 2004. "Patterns in global fixed and mobile telecommunications development: a cluster analysis," Telecommunications Policy, Elsevier, vol. 28(2), pages 107-132, March.
- Minges, Michael, 1999. "Mobile cellular communications in the Southern African region," Telecommunications Policy, Elsevier, vol. 23(7-8), pages 585-593, August.
- Ahn, Hyungtaik & Lee, Myeong-Ho, 1999. "An econometric analysis of the demand for access to mobile telephone networks," Information Economics and Policy, Elsevier, vol. 11(3), pages 297-305, September.
- Garbacz, Christopher & Thompson Jr, Herbert G., 2007. "Demand for telecommunication services in developing countries," Telecommunications Policy, Elsevier, vol. 31(5), pages 276-289, June.
- Gruber, Harald, 2001. "Competition and innovation: The diffusion of mobile telecommunications in Central and Eastern Europe," Information Economics and Policy, Elsevier, vol. 13(1), pages 19-34, March.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:aes:infoec:v:18:y:2014:i:1:p:27-39. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Paul Pocatilu)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.