Diffusion of digital mobile telephony: Are developing countries different?
Factors determining the diffusion of digital mobile telephony across developed and developing countries are studied with the aid of a Gompertz model. After controlling for other factors, the speed of diffusion per se is not significantly different between the two groups of countries. Standards competition hinders and market competition promotes diffusion in both groups. Various factors are, however, more important in a developing country context: having a large potential user base, accumulating network effects, being open, commanding a high (non-telecom) technological level, and introducing innovation(s) complementing mobile telephony. Late entrants experience faster diffusion promoting cross-country convergence.
Volume (Year): 30 (2006)
Issue (Month): 1 (February)
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/wps/find/journaldescription.cws_home/30471/description#description|
|Order Information:|| Postal: http://www.elsevier.com/wps/find/journaldescription.cws_home/30471/bibliographic|
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Kiiski, Sampsa & Pohjola, Matti, 2002.
"Cross-country diffusion of the Internet,"
Information Economics and Policy,
Elsevier, vol. 14(2), pages 297-310, June.
- Kiiski, Sampsa & Pohjola, Matti, 2001. "Cross-country Diffusion of the Internet," Working Paper Series UNU-WIDER Research Paper , World Institute for Development Economic Research (UNU-WIDER).
- Sampsa Kiiski & Matti Pohjola, 2010. "Cross-country Diffusion of the Internet," Working Papers id:3204, eSocialSciences.
- White, Halbert, 1980. "A Heteroskedasticity-Consistent Covariance Matrix Estimator and a Direct Test for Heteroskedasticity," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 48(4), pages 817-38, May.
- Liikanen, Jukka & Stoneman, Paul & Toivanen, Otto, 2004. "Intergenerational effects in the diffusion of new technology: the case of mobile phones," International Journal of Industrial Organization, Elsevier, vol. 22(8-9), pages 1137-1154, November.
- Gruber, H. & Verboven, F.L., 1998.
"The Diffusion of Mobile Telecommunications Services in the European Union,"
1998-138, Tilburg University, Center for Economic Research.
- Gruber, Harald & Verboven, Frank, 2001. "The diffusion of mobile telecommunications services in the European Union," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 45(3), pages 577-588, March.
- Gruber, Harald & Verboven, Frank, 1999. "The Diffusion of Mobile Telecommunications Services in the European Union," CEPR Discussion Papers 2054, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Koski, Heli & Kretschmer, Tobias, 2002.
"Entry, Standards and Competition : Firm Strategies and the Diffusion of Mobile Telephony,"
824, The Research Institute of the Finnish Economy.
- Heli Koski & Tobias Kretschmer, 2004. "Entry, Standards and Competition: Firm Strategies and the Diffusion of Mobile Telephony," Review of Industrial Organization, Springer, vol. 26(1), pages 89-113, November.
- Heli Koski & Tobias Kretschmer, 2005. "Entry, standards and competition : firm strategies and the diffusion of mobile telephony," LSE Research Online Documents on Economics 801, London School of Economics and Political Science, LSE Library.
- Abid A. Burki & Shirin Aslam, 2000. "The Role of Digital Technology and Regulations in the Diffusion of Mobile Phones in Asia," The Pakistan Development Review, Pakistan Institute of Development Economics, vol. 39(4), pages 741-750.
- Gruber, Harald, 2001. "Competition and innovation: The diffusion of mobile telecommunications in Central and Eastern Europe," Information Economics and Policy, Elsevier, vol. 13(1), pages 19-34, March.
- Madden, Gary & Coble-Neal, Grant & Dalzell, Brian, 2004.
"A dynamic model of mobile telephony subscription incorporating a network effect,"
Elsevier, vol. 28(2), pages 133-144, March.
- Madden, Gary G & Coble-Neal, Grant & Dalzell, Brian, 2004. "A dynamic model of mobile telephony subscription incorporating a network effect," MPRA Paper 10829, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Ahn, Hyungtaik & Lee, Myeong-Ho, 1999. "An econometric analysis of the demand for access to mobile telephone networks," Information Economics and Policy, Elsevier, vol. 11(3), pages 297-305, September.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:telpol:v:30:y:2006:i:1:p:46-63. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.