"Fighting the Tide: Alternative Trade Organizations in the Era of Global Free Trade"--A Comment
Summary LeClair [LeClair, M. S. (2002). Fighting the tide: alternative trade organizations in the era of global free trade. World Development, 30(6), 949-958] concludes that in theory Fair Trade is a second-best alternative to aid, may impose losses on non-Fair Trade producers and prolongs dependence on unsustainable modes of production. This paper shows how these conclusions depend upon a particular definition of subsidy and upon the assumptions of full employment and that Fair Trade goods face price-inelastic demand. An adverse impact on non-Fair Trade producers is possible but not intrinsic, and the claim of economic inefficiency cannot be sustained within a more general analysis.
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Leonardo Becchetti & Furio Camillo Rosati, 2007.
"Global Social Preferences and the Demand for Socially Responsible Products: Empirical Evidence from a Pilot Study on Fair Trade Consumers,"
The World Economy,
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 30(5), pages 807-836, May.
- Leonardo Becchetti & Furio Rosati, 2007. "Global social preferences and the demand for socially responsible products: empirical evidence from a pilot study on fair trade consumers," CEIS Research Paper 90, Tor Vergata University, CEIS.
- Mark Hayes, 2006. "On the efficiency of fair trade," Review of Social Economy, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 64(4), pages 447-468.
- Mark Hayes, 2007. "The Point of Effective Demand," Review of Political Economy, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 19(1), pages 55-80.
- Becchetti, Leonardo & Costantino, Marco, 2008. "The Effects of Fair Trade on Affiliated Producers: An Impact Analysis on Kenyan Farmers," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 36(5), pages 823-842, May.
- Philip Booth & Linda Whetstone, 2007. "Half A Cheer For Fair Trade," Economic Affairs, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 27(2), pages 29-36, June.
- Mark Hayes, 2006. "The Economics of Keynes: A New Guide to The General Theory," Books, Post Keynesian Economics Study Group (PKSG), number nggt.
- LeClair, Mark S., 2002. "Fighting the Tide: Alternative Trade Organizations in the Era of Global Free Trade," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 30(6), pages 949-958, June. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)