The State of Short-term Expectation
The claim that Keynes makes a tacit assumption in Chapter 3 of The General Theory , that short-term expectations are fulfilled, is unwarranted and unnecessary. Kregel's seminal 1976 paper and its subsequent development by Chick and others have contributed to the general acceptance of this claim; these contributions are critically evaluated in the present paper. This critique clears the ground for a recognition that Keynes instead adopted the assumption of judicious foresight, which would now be called short-term rational expectations. That recognition in turn should encourage a reappraisal of Keynes's thought, by mainstream economists and others.
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Volume (Year): 25 (2013)
Issue (Month): 2 (April)
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.tandfonline.com/CRPE20|
|Order Information:||Web: http://www.tandfonline.com/pricing/journal/CRPE20|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- M. G. Hayes, 2006. "The Economics of Keynes," Books, Edward Elgar Publishing, number 12601.
- Jochen Hartwig, 2007. "Keynes vs. the Post Keynesians on the Principle of Effective Demand," The European Journal of the History of Economic Thought, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 14(4), pages 725-739.
- Mark Hayes, 2007. "The Point of Effective Demand," Review of Political Economy, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 19(1), pages 55-80.
- M. G. Hayes, 2013.
"The State of Short-term Expectation,"
Review of Political Economy,
Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 25(2), pages 205-224, April.
- Mark Hayes, 2006. "The Economics of Keynes: A New Guide to The General Theory," Books, Post Keynesian Economics Study Group (PKSG), number nggt.
- Tony Lawson, 2005. "The (confused) state of equilibrium analysis in modern economics: an explanation," Journal of Post Keynesian Economics, M.E. Sharpe, Inc., vol. 27(3), pages 423-444, April.
- Olivier Allain, 2009.
"Effective Demand and Short-term Adjustments in the General Theory,"
Review of Political Economy,
Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 21(1), pages 1-22.
- Olivier Allain, 2006. "Effective demand and short-term adjustments in the General Theory," Cahiers de la Maison des Sciences Economiques bla06018, Université Panthéon-Sorbonne (Paris 1).
- Dany Lang & Mark Setterfield, 2007.
"History versus equilibrium? on the possibility and realist basis of a general critique of traditional equilibrium analysis,"
Journal of Post Keynesian Economics,
M.E. Sharpe, Inc., vol. 29(2), pages 191-209, January.
- Dany Lang & Setterfield Mark, 2008. "History versus equilibrium? on the possibility and realist basis of a general critique of traditional equilibrium analysis," Post-Print hal-01366019, HAL.
- M. G. Hayes, 2008. "Keynes's degree of competition," The European Journal of the History of Economic Thought, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 15(2), pages 275-291.
- John King, 1993.
"Aggregate Supply and Demand Analysis Since Keynes: A Partial History,"
1993.16, School of Economics, La Trobe University.
- John King, 1993. "Aggregate Supply and Demand Analysis Since Keynes: A Partial History," Working Papers 1993.16, School of Economics, La Trobe University.
- Claudio Sardoni, 2008. "Some considerations on equilibrium and realism," Journal of Post Keynesian Economics, M.E. Sharpe, Inc., vol. 30(3), pages 485-490, April.
- Eleonora Sanfilippo, 2011. "The Short Period and the Long Period in Macroeconomics: An Awkward Distinction," Review of Political Economy, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 23(3), pages 371-388.
- Gary Mongiovi, 2000. "Shackle on Equilibrium: A Critique," Review of Social Economy, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 58(1), pages 108-124.
- Kregel, J A, 1976. "Economic Methodology in the Face of Uncertainty: The Modelling Methods of Keynes and the Post-Keynesians," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 86(342), pages 209-225, June.
- Roger Backhouse, 2004. "History and equilibrium: A partial defense of equilibrium economics," Journal of Economic Methodology, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 11(3), pages 291-305.
- Vercelli,Allessandro, 1991. "Methodological Foundations of Macroeconomics," Cambridge Books, Cambridge University Press, number 9780521392945, May.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:taf:revpoe:v:25:y:2013:i:2:p:205-224. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Michael McNulty)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.