The residential parking rent price elasticity of car ownership in Japan
By using household-level micro data captured through the National Survey of Family Income and Expenditure for 2004, this study evaluates the residential parking rent price elasticity of car ownership in Japan. It analyzes the number of cars owned by a household, using various attributes including expenditure for renting a parking space on a monthly basis. The estimation results derived from the IV-ordered probit model show that the absolute value of parking rent price elasticity of car ownership is, at most, 0.48, which is fairly small (i.e., inelastic). The elasticity value varies depending on city size; for megacities, elasticity is always negative for car ownership, whereas for middle-sized or small cities, towns, and villages, elasticity is positive for one-car ownership and negative for the ownership of more than one car. Hence, when the price of parking increases, some people may switch from more than one car to one car and some people in megacities may switch from one to zero cars. Indeed, the net effect of a price increase may be that non-car ownership increases in megacities and one-car ownership increases in other cities.
Volume (Year): 85 (2016)
Issue (Month): C ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/wps/find/journaldescription.cws_home/547/description#description|
|Order Information:|| Postal: http://www.elsevier.com/wps/find/supportfaq.cws_home/regional|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- James J. Heckman, 1976. "The Common Structure of Statistical Models of Truncation, Sample Selection and Limited Dependent Variables and a Simple Estimator for Such Models," NBER Chapters,in: Annals of Economic and Social Measurement, Volume 5, number 4, pages 475-492 National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- repec:adr:anecst:y:2007:i:87-88:p:03 is not listed on IDEAS
- Damien Rousselière & Samira Rousselière, 2010.
"On the impact of trust on consumer willingness to purchase GM food:Evidence from a European survey,"
Review of Agricultural and Environmental Studies - Revue d'Etudes en Agriculture et Environnement,
INRA Department of Economics, vol. 91(1), pages 5-26.
- Rousselière, D. & Rousselière, S., 2009. "On the impact of trust on consumer willingness to purchase GM food : evidence from a European survey," Working Papers 200901, Grenoble Applied Economics Laboratory (GAEL).
- David Roodman, 2011. "Fitting fully observed recursive mixed-process models with cmp," Stata Journal, StataCorp LP, vol. 11(2), pages 159-206, June.
- van Ommeren, Jos & de Groote, Jesper & Mingardo, Giuliano, 2014. "Residential parking permits and parking supply," Regional Science and Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 45(C), pages 33-44.
- Jos van Ommeren & Jesper de Groote & Giuliano Mingardo, 2013. "Residential Parking Permits and Parking Supply," Tinbergen Institute Discussion Papers 13-059/VIII, Tinbergen Institute.
- Chesher, Andrew & Smolinski, Konrad, 2012. "IV models of ordered choice," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 166(1), pages 33-48.
- Andrew Chesher & Konrad Smolinski, 2009. "IV models of ordered choice," CeMMAP working papers CWP37/09, Centre for Microdata Methods and Practice, Institute for Fiscal Studies.
- Jeffrey M Wooldridge, 2010. "Econometric Analysis of Cross Section and Panel Data," MIT Press Books, The MIT Press, edition 2, volume 1, number 0262232588, January.
- Jeffrey M. Wooldridge, 2001. "Econometric Analysis of Cross Section and Panel Data," MIT Press Books, The MIT Press, edition 1, volume 1, number 0262232197, January.
- Luc Anselin, 2001. "Spatial Effects in Econometric Practice in Environmental and Resource Economics," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 83(3), pages 705-710.
- Delbosc, Alexa, 2013. "Household composition and within-household car saturation in Melbourne," Transport Policy, Elsevier, vol. 25(C), pages 94-100.
- Salon, Deborah, 2009. "Neighborhoods, cars, and commuting in New York City: A discrete choice approach," Transportation Research Part A: Policy and Practice, Elsevier, vol. 43(2), pages 180-196, February.
- Mintesnot Woldeamanuel & Rita Cyganski & Angelika Schulz & Andreas Justen, 2009. "Variation of households ’ car ownership across time: application of a panel data model," Transportation, Springer, vol. 36(4), pages 371-387, July.
- Bernard Fingleton & Julie Le Gallo, 2007. "Finite Sample Properties of Estimators of Spatial Models with Autoregressive, or Moving Average, Disturbances and System Feedback," Annals of Economics and Statistics, GENES, issue 87-88, pages 39-62.
- Bernard Fingleton & Julie Le Gallo, 2008. "Finite sample properties of estimators of spatial models with autoregressive, or moving average, disturbances and system feedback," Post-Print hal-00485037, HAL.
- Hiroyuki Kawakatsu & Ann G. Largey, 2009. "EM algorithms for ordered probit models with endogenous regressors," Econometrics Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 12(1), pages 164-186, March.
- Justin Doran & Bernard Fingleton, 2015. "Resilience from the micro perspective," Cambridge Journal of Regions, Economy and Society, Cambridge Political Economy Society, vol. 8(2), pages 205-223.
- Bhat, Chandra R. & Pulugurta, Vamsi, 1998. "A comparison of two alternative behavioral choice mechanisms for household auto ownership decisions," Transportation Research Part B: Methodological, Elsevier, vol. 32(1), pages 61-75, January.
- Paul A. Barter, 2015. "A parking policy typology for clearer thinking on parking reform," International Journal of Urban Sciences, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 19(2), pages 136-156, July.
- Matas, Anna & Raymond, José-Luis & Roig, José-Luis, 2009. "Car ownership and access to jobs in Spain," Transportation Research Part A: Policy and Practice, Elsevier, vol. 43(6), pages 607-617, July.
- Anna Matas & José-Luís Raymond & José-Luís Roig, 2008. "Car ownership and access to jobs in Spain," Working Papers XREAP2008-03, Xarxa de Referència en Economia Aplicada (XREAP), revised Apr 2008.
- repec:ucp:bkecon:9781884829987 is not listed on IDEAS
- repec:adr:anecst:y:2007:i:87-88 is not listed on IDEAS
- Franco Chingcuanco & Eric Miller, 2014. "A meta-model of vehicle ownership choice parameters," Transportation, Springer, vol. 41(5), pages 923-945, September.
- Sabreena Anowar & Naveen Eluru & Luis F. Miranda-Moreno, 2014. "Alternative Modeling Approaches Used for Examining Automobile Ownership: A Comprehensive Review," Transport Reviews, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 34(4), pages 441-473, July.
- Marsden, Greg, 2006. "The evidence base for parking policies--a review," Transport Policy, Elsevier, vol. 13(6), pages 447-457, November.
- Michael Wegener & Franz Fuerst, 2004. "Land-Use Transport Interaction: State of the Art," Urban/Regional 0409005, EconWPA. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:transa:v:85:y:2016:i:c:p:123-134. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Dana Niculescu)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.