Modelling the effects of road pricing on traffic using ERP traffic data
Singapore's Electronic Road Pricing (ERP) system involves time-variable charges which are intended to spread the morning traffic peak. The charges are revised every three months and thus induce regular motorists to re-think their travel decisions. ERP traffic data, captured by the system, provides a valuable source of information for studying motorists' travel behaviour. This paper proposes a new modelling methodology for using these data to forecast short-term impacts of rate adjustment on peak period traffic volumes. Separate models are developed for different categories of vehicles which are segmented according to their demand elasticity with respect to road pricing. A method is proposed for estimating the maximum likelihood value of preferred arrival time (PAT) for each vehicle's arrivals at a particular ERP gantry under different charging conditions. Iterative procedures are used in both model calibration and application. The proposed approach was tested using traffic datasets recorded in 2003 at a gantry located on Singapore's Central Expressway (CTE). The model calibration and validation show satisfactory results.
Volume (Year): 45 (2011)
Issue (Month): 6 (July)
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/wps/find/journaldescription.cws_home/547/description#description|
|Order Information:|| Postal: http://www.elsevier.com/wps/find/supportfaq.cws_home/regional|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Hensher, David A. & Puckett, Sean M., 2007. "Congestion and variable user charging as an effective travel demand management instrument," Transportation Research Part A: Policy and Practice, Elsevier, vol. 41(7), pages 615-626, August.
- Bates, John, 2007. "Practical modelling of trip re-scheduling under congested conditions," Transportation Research Part A: Policy and Practice, Elsevier, vol. 41(9), pages 788-801, November.
- Jones, Peter & Hervik, Arild, 1992. "Restraining car traffic in European cities: An emerging role for road pricing," Transportation Research Part A: Policy and Practice, Elsevier, vol. 26(2), pages 133-145, March.
- Eliasson, Jonas & Hultkrantz, Lars & Nerhagen, Lena & Rosqvist, Lena Smidfelt, 2009. "The Stockholm congestion - charging trial 2006: Overview of effects," Transportation Research Part A: Policy and Practice, Elsevier, vol. 43(3), pages 240-250, March.
- Ieromonachou, P. & Potter, S. & Warren, J.P., 2006. "Norway's urban toll rings: Evolving towards congestion charging?," Transport Policy, Elsevier, vol. 13(5), pages 367-378, September.
- McFadden, Daniel, 2007. "The behavioral science of transportation," Transport Policy, Elsevier, vol. 14(4), pages 269-274, July.
- Brownstone, David & Small, Kenneth A., 2005.
"Valuing time and reliability: assessing the evidence from road pricing demonstrations,"
Transportation Research Part A: Policy and Practice,
Elsevier, vol. 39(4), pages 279-293, May.
- Brownstone, David & Small, Kenneth A., 2003. "Valuing Time and Reliability: Assessing the Evidence from Road Pricing Demonstrations," University of California Transportation Center, Working Papers qt95z0p35k, University of California Transportation Center.
- de Palma, André & Lindsey, Robin & Niskanen, Esko, 2006. "Policy insights from the urban road pricing case studies," Transport Policy, Elsevier, vol. 13(2), pages 149-161, March.
- DE PALMA, André & LINDSEY, Robin & NISKANEN, Esko, "undated". "Policy insights from the urban road pricing case sudies," CORE Discussion Papers RP 1881, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Stephane Hess & John Polak & Andrew Daly & Geoffrey Hyman, 2007. "Flexible substitution patterns in models of mode and time of day choice: new evidence from the UK and the Netherlands," Transportation, Springer, vol. 34(2), pages 213-238, March.
- Rouwendal, Jan & Verhoef, Erik T., 2006. "Basic economic principles of road pricing: From theory to applications," Transport Policy, Elsevier, vol. 13(2), pages 106-114, March.
- Mahmassani, Hani S. & Chang, Gang-Len, 1986. "Experiments with departure time choice dynamics of urban commuters," Transportation Research Part B: Methodological, Elsevier, vol. 20(4), pages 297-320, August.
- Georgina Santos & Laurent Rojey, 2004. "Distributional impacts of road pricing: The truth behind the myth," Transportation, Springer, vol. 31(1), pages 21-42, February.
- Olszewski, Piotr & Xie, Litian, 2005. "Modelling the effects of road pricing on traffic in Singapore," Transportation Research Part A: Policy and Practice, Elsevier, vol. 39(7-9), pages 755-772.
- Kevin Washbrook & Wolfgang Haider & Mark Jaccard, 2006. "Estimating commuter mode choice: A discrete choice analysis of the impact of road pricing and parking charges," Transportation, Springer, vol. 33(6), pages 621-639, November.
- Bonsall, Peter & Shires, Jeremy & Maule, John & Matthews, Bryan & Beale, Jo, 2007. "Responses to complex pricing signals: Theory, evidence and implications for road pricing," Transportation Research Part A: Policy and Practice, Elsevier, vol. 41(7), pages 672-683, August.
- Burris, Mark W. & Pendyala, Ram M., 2002. "Discrete choice models of traveler participation in differential time of day pricing programs," Transport Policy, Elsevier, vol. 9(3), pages 241-251, July.
- Small, Kenneth A, 1982. "The Scheduling of Consumer Activities: Work Trips," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 72(3), pages 467-479, June.
- Santos, Georgina & Bhakar, Jasvinder, 2006. "The impact of the London congestion charging scheme on the generalised cost of car commuters to the city of London from a value of travel time savings perspective," Transport Policy, Elsevier, vol. 13(1), pages 22-33, January.
- Holguin-Veras, Jose & Cetin, Mecit & Xia, Shuwen, 2006. "A comparative analysis of US toll policy," Transportation Research Part A: Policy and Practice, Elsevier, vol. 40(10), pages 852-871, December.
- Piotr Olszewski, 2007. "Singapore motorisation restraint and its implications on travel behaviour and urban sustainability," Transportation, Springer, vol. 34(3), pages 319-335, May. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:transa:v:45:y:2011:i:6:p:512-522. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Dana Niculescu)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.