A measure of regional influence with the analytic network process
The metropolitan region is commonly defined by a socio-spatial network of urban nodes that are linked in territory and function. Such a network is differentiated by size and dominance of the linked nodes, characterized by physical or virtual flows of a wide-ranging variety. The analytic network process (ANP) is a multi-criteria analytic method that measures the influence or dominance of the nodes in a network with feedback. We illustrate how ANP determines county rank as a measure of influence in a metropolitan statistical area (MSA) defined by its interrelated socio-economic and spatial elements qualitatively and quantitatively. We compare the ANP results to similar measures of regional influence in the literature.
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- J T Diamond & J R Wright, 1988. "Design of an integrated spatial information system for multiobjective land-use planning," Environment and Planning B: Planning and Design, Pion Ltd, London, vol. 15(2), pages 205-214, March.
- Nick Malleson & Andrew Evans & Tony Jenkins, 2009. "An agent-based model of burglary," Environment and Planning B: Planning and Design, Pion Ltd, London, vol. 36(6), pages 1103-1123, November.
- Gutiérrez Puebla, Javier, 1987. "Spatial structures of network flows: A graph theoretical approach," Transportation Research Part B: Methodological, Elsevier, vol. 21(6), pages 489-502, December.
- Azis, Iwan J., 2010. "Predicting a recovery date from the economic crisis of 2008," Socio-Economic Planning Sciences, Elsevier, vol. 44(3), pages 122-129, September.
- Banai, Reza, 2010. "Evaluation of land use-transportation systems with the Analytic Network Process," The Journal of Transport and Land Use, Center for Transportation Studies, University of Minnesota, vol. 3(1), pages 85-112.
- Blair, Andrew R. & Nachtmann, Robert & Olson, Josephine E. & Saaty, Thomas L., 1987. "Forecasting foreign exchange rates: an expert judgment approach," Socio-Economic Planning Sciences, Elsevier, vol. 21(6), pages 363-369.
- Reza Banai-Kashani, 1988. "A Note on the Subregional Employment Impact of Urban Revitalization," The Review of Regional Studies, Southern Regional Science Association, vol. 18(3), pages 41-46, Fall.
- Patsy Healey, 2004. "The Treatment of Space and Place in the New Strategic Spatial Planning in Europe," International Journal of Urban and Regional Research, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 28(1), pages 45-67, 03.
- Saaty, Thomas L., 1994. "Highlights and critical points in the theory and application of the Analytic Hierarchy Process," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 74(3), pages 426-447, May.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:soceps:v:45:y:2011:i:4:p:165-173. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.