Axiomatic measurement of multidimensional well-being inequality: Some distributional questions
This paper focuses on two main issues which are crucial for improving on the analysis of multidimensional inequality: the effect of both the dispersion of well-being attributes across individuals and the interaction among attributes on the measurement of multidimensional well-being. To approach these distributional questions we rely on the Atkinson, Kolm, Sen (hereafter AKS) methodology, which defines a multidimensional inequality index consistent with the Pigou–Dalton principle. This index can be decomposed into univariate indexes belonging to the class of AKS indexes, and a residual term accounting for the interaction across dimensions. The empirical application investigates the evolution of inequality in well-being across some EU countries between 1994 and 2001.
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Volume (Year): 41 (2012)
Issue (Month): 5 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/locate/inca/620175 |
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Marco Giovanni Brambilla & Alessandra Michelangeli & Eugenio Peluso, 2011.
"Equity in the City: On Measuring Urban (Ine)Quality of Life,"
DISCE - Quaderni dell'Istituto di Economia e Finanza
ief0101, Università Cattolica del Sacro Cuore, Dipartimenti e Istituti di Scienze Economiche (DISCE).
- Marco Brambilla & Alessandra Michelangeli & Eugenio Peluso, 2013. "Equity in the City: On Measuring Urban (Ine)quality of Life," Urban Studies, Urban Studies Journal Limited, vol. 50(16), pages 3205-3224, December.
- François Bourguignon & Satya Chakravarty, 2003.
"The Measurement of Multidimensional Poverty,"
Journal of Economic Inequality,
Springer, vol. 1(1), pages 25-49, April.
- Dutta, Bhaskar, 2002. "Chapter 12 Inequality, poverty and welfare," Handbook of Social Choice and Welfare, in: K. J. Arrow & A. K. Sen & K. Suzumura (ed.), Handbook of Social Choice and Welfare, edition 1, volume 1, chapter 12, pages 597-633 Elsevier.
- Boland, Philip J. & Proschan, Frank, 1988. "Multivariate arrangement increasing functions with applications in probability and statistics," Journal of Multivariate Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 25(2), pages 286-298, May.
- Koen Decancq & María Ana Lugo, 2009.
"Measuring inequality of well-being with a correlation-sensitive multidimensional Gini index,"
124, ECINEQ, Society for the Study of Economic Inequality.
- Maria Ana Lugo & Koen Decancq, 2009. "Measuring Inequality of Well-Being with a Correlation-Sensitive Multidimensional Gini Index," Economics Series Working Papers 459, University of Oxford, Department of Economics.
- Antonio Di Paolo, 2010.
"Parental education and family characteristics: educational opportunities across cohorts in Italy and Spain,"
XREAP2010-05, Xarxa de Referència en Economia Aplicada (XREAP), revised May 2010.
- Antonio Di Paolo, 2012. "Parental Education And Family Characteristics: Educational Opportunities Across Cohorts In Italy And Spain," Revista de Economia Aplicada, Universidad de Zaragoza, Departamento de Estructura Economica y Economia Publica, vol. 20(1), pages 119-146, Spring.
- Sen, Amartya, 1973. "On Economic Inequality," OUP Catalogue, Oxford University Press, number 9780198281931, March.
- Decancq, Koen & Decoster, André & Schokkaert, Erik, 2009.
"The Evolution of World Inequality in Well-being,"
Elsevier, vol. 37(1), pages 11-25, January.
- Koen Decancq & André Decoster & Erik Schokkaert, 2007. "The evolution of World inequality in Well-being," Center for Economic Studies - Discussion papers ces0704, Katholieke Universiteit Leuven, Centrum voor Economische Studiën.
- DECANCK, Koen & DECOSTER, André & SCHOOKAERT, Erik, . "The evolution of world inequality in well-being," CORE Discussion Papers RP -2140, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- A. Atkinson, 2003. "Multidimensional Deprivation: Contrasting Social Welfare and Counting Approaches," Journal of Economic Inequality, Springer, vol. 1(1), pages 51-65, April.
- Dirk Krüger, 2009.
"Inequality Trends for Germany in the Last Two Decades: A Tale of Two Countries,"
MEA discussion paper series
09184, Munich Center for the Economics of Aging (MEA) at the Max Planck Institute for Social Law and Social Policy.
- Nicola Fuchs-Schuendeln & Dirk Krueger & Mathias Sommer, 2010. "Inequality Trends for Germany in the Last Two Decades: A Tale of Two Countries," Review of Economic Dynamics, Elsevier for the Society for Economic Dynamics, vol. 13(1), pages 103-132, January.
- Nicola Fuchs-Schündeln & Dirk Krueger & Mathias Sommer, 2009. "Inequality Trends for Germany in the Last Two Decades: A Tale of Two Countries," NBER Working Papers 15059, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Qizilbash, Mozaffar, 2004.
"On the Arbitrariness and Robustness of Multi-Dimensional Poverty Rankings,"
Working Paper Series
UNU-WIDER Research Paper , World Institute for Development Economic Research (UNU-WIDER).
- Mozaffar Qizilbash, 2004. "On the Arbitrariness and Robustness of Multi-Dimensional Poverty Rankings," Journal of Human Development and Capabilities, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 5(3), pages 355-375.
- Atkinson, Anthony B., 1970. "On the measurement of inequality," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 2(3), pages 244-263, September.
- Kolm, Serge-Christophe, 1977. "Multidimensional Egalitarianisms," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, MIT Press, vol. 91(1), pages 1-13, February.
- Bosmans, Kristof & Lauwers, Luc & Ooghe, Erwin, 2009.
"A consistent multidimensional Pigou-Dalton transfer principle,"
Journal of Economic Theory,
Elsevier, vol. 144(3), pages 1358-1371, May.
- Kristof Bismans & Luc Lauwers & Erwin Ooghe, 2006. "A consistent multidimensional Pigou-Dalton transfer principle," Center for Economic Studies - Discussion papers ces0620, Katholieke Universiteit Leuven, Centrum voor Economische Studiën.
- Ramses H. Abul Naga & Pierre-Yves Geoffard, 2006.
"Decomposition of Bivariate Inequality Indicesby Attributes,"
STICERD - Distributional Analysis Research Programme Papers
83, Suntory and Toyota International Centres for Economics and Related Disciplines, LSE.
- Abul Naga, Ramses H. & Geoffard, Pierre-Yves, 2006. "Decomposition of bivariate inequality indices by attributes," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 90(3), pages 362-367, March.
- Ramses H. Abul Naga & Pierre-Yves Geoffard, 2006. "Decomposition of bivariate inequality indices by attributes," LSE Research Online Documents on Economics 6541, London School of Economics and Political Science, LSE Library.
- Thibault Gajdos & John Weymark, 2005.
"Multidimensional generalized Gini indices,"
Springer, vol. 26(3), pages 471-496, October.
- Thibault Gajdos & John Weymark, 2005. "Multidimensional Generalized Gini Indices," Université Paris1 Panthéon-Sorbonne (Post-Print and Working Papers) halshs-00085881, HAL.
- Thibault Gajdos & John A. Weymark, 2003. "Multidimensional generalized Gini indices," ICER Working Papers - Applied Mathematics Series 16-2003, ICER - International Centre for Economic Research.
- Thibault Gadjos & John A, Weymark, 2003. "Multidimensional Generalized Gini Indices," Working Papers 2003-16, Centre de Recherche en Economie et Statistique.
- Sami Bibi, 2004. "Comparing Multidimensional Poverty between Egypt and Tunisia," Cahiers de recherche 0416, CIRPEE.
- Pestieau, Pierre, 2005. "The Welfare State in the European Union: Economic and Social Perspectives," OUP Catalogue, Oxford University Press, number 9780199261024, March.
- Atkinson, Anthony B & Bourguignon, Francois, 1982. "The Comparison of Multi-Dimensioned Distributions of Economic Status," Review of Economic Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 49(2), pages 183-201, April.
- Gary S. Becker & Tomas J. Philipson & Rodrigo R. Soares, 2005.
"The Quantity and Quality of Life and the Evolution of World Inequality,"
American Economic Review,
American Economic Association, vol. 95(1), pages 277-291, March.
- Gary S. Becker & Tomas J. Philipson & Rodrigo R. Soares, 2003. "The Quantity and Quality of Life and the Evolution of World Inequality," NBER Working Papers 9765, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Tsui Kai-Yuen, 1995. "Multidimensional Generalizations of the Relative and Absolute Inequality Indices: The Atkinson-Kolm-Sen Approach," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 67(1), pages 251-265, October.
- Larry G. Epstein & Stephen M. Tanny, 1980. "Increasing Generalized Correlation: A Definition and Some Economic Consequences," Canadian Journal of Economics, Canadian Economics Association, vol. 13(1), pages 16-34, February.
- Cheti Nicoletti & Franco Peracchi, 2005. "Survey response and survey characteristics: microlevel evidence from the European Community Household Panel," Journal of the Royal Statistical Society Series A, Royal Statistical Society, vol. 168(4), pages 763-781.
- Maria Ana Lugo, 2005. "Comparing Multidimensional Indices of Inequality: methods and application," Working Papers 14, ECINEQ, Society for the Study of Economic Inequality.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:soceco:v:41:y:2012:i:5:p:548-557. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.