Algorithmic complexity of financial motions
We survey the main applications of algorithmic (Kolmogorov) complexity to the problem of price dynamics in financial markets. We stress the differences between these works and put forward a general algorithmic framework in order to highlight its potential for financial data analysis. This framework is “general” in the sense that it is not constructed on the common assumption that price variations are predominantly stochastic in nature.
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Volume (Year): 30 (2014)
Issue (Month): C ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/locate/ribaf|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Jing Chen, 2005. "Information Theory and Market Behavior," Finance 0503009, EconWPA.
- Yael Alon- Brimer & Armin Shmilovici & Shmuel Hauser, 2002.
"Using a Stochastic Complexity Measure to Check the Efficient Market Hypothesis,"
Computing in Economics and Finance 2002
272, Society for Computational Economics.
- Armin Shmilovici & Yael Alon-Brimer & Shmuel Hauser, 2003. "Using a Stochastic Complexity Measure to Check the Efficient Market Hypothesis," Computational Economics, Springer;Society for Computational Economics, vol. 22(2), pages 273-284, October.
- Paul A. Samuelson, 1973. "Proof That Properly Discounted Present Values of Assets Vibrate Randomly," Bell Journal of Economics, The RAND Corporation, vol. 4(2), pages 369-374, Autumn.
- Mansilla, R., 2001. "Algorithmic complexity of real financial markets," Physica A: Statistical Mechanics and its Applications, Elsevier, vol. 301(1), pages 483-492.
- Eugene F. Fama, "undated".
"Market Efficiency, Long-term Returns, and Behavioral Finance,"
CRSP working papers
340, Center for Research in Security Prices, Graduate School of Business, University of Chicago.
- Fama, Eugene F., 1998. "Market efficiency, long-term returns, and behavioral finance," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 49(3), pages 283-306, September.
- Eugene F Fama, "undated". "Market Efficiency, Long-Term Returns, and Behavioral Finance," CRSP working papers 448, Center for Research in Security Prices, Graduate School of Business, University of Chicago.
- repec:ebl:ecbull:v:7:y:2008:i:6:p:1-12 is not listed on IDEAS
- repec:cdl:ucsbec:13-89 is not listed on IDEAS
- Andreia Dionisio & Rui Menezes & Diana A. Mendes, 2005.
"An econophysics approach to analyse uncertainty in financial markets: an application to the Portuguese stock market,"
physics/0509250, arXiv.org, revised Sep 2005.
- A. Dionisio & R. Menezes & D. A. Mendes, 2006. "An econophysics approach to analyse uncertainty in financial markets: an application to the Portuguese stock market," The European Physical Journal B: Condensed Matter and Complex Systems, Springer;EDP Sciences, vol. 50(1), pages 161-164, 03.
- Jean-Michel Courtault & Yuri Kabanov & Bernard Bru & Pierre Crépel & Isabelle Lebon & Arnaud Le Marchand, 2000.
"Louis Bachelier on the Centenary of "Théorie de la Spéculation","
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 10(3), pages 339-353.
- Jean-Michel Courtault & Youri Kabanov & Bernard Bru & Pierre Crepel & Isabelle Lebon & Arnaud Le Marchand, 2000. "Louis Bachelier On the centenary of Théorie de la Spéculation," Post-Print halshs-00447592, HAL.
- LeRoy, Stephen F, 1989. "Efficient Capital Markets and Martingales," Journal of Economic Literature, American Economic Association, vol. 27(4), pages 1583-1621, December.
- Ching-Wei Tan, 1999. "Estimating the Complexity Function of Financial Time Series: An Estimation Based on Predictive Stochastic Complexity," Computing in Economics and Finance 1999 1143, Society for Computational Economics.
- Armin Shmilovici & Yoav Kahiri & Irad Ben-Gal & Shmuel Hauser, 2009.
"Measuring the Efficiency of the Intraday Forex Market with a Universal Data Compression Algorithm,"
Springer;Society for Computational Economics, vol. 33(2), pages 131-154, March.
- Y. Kahiri & A. Shmilovici & S. Hauser, 2006. "Measuring the Efficiency of the Intraday Forex Market with a Universal Data Compression Algorithm," Computing in Economics and Finance 2006 256, Society for Computational Economics.
- Timmermann, Allan & Granger, Clive W. J., 2004.
"Efficient market hypothesis and forecasting,"
International Journal of Forecasting,
Elsevier, vol. 20(1), pages 15-27.
- Fama, Eugene F, 1970. "Efficient Capital Markets: A Review of Theory and Empirical Work," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 25(2), pages 383-417, May.
- Bates, David S., 2000. "Post-'87 crash fears in the S&P 500 futures option market," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 94(1-2), pages 181-238.
- O. Brandouy & Lin Ma & Hector Zenil & Jean-Paul Delahaye, 2012.
"Algorithmic complexity of financial motions,"
- R. Mansilla, 2001. "Algorithmic Complexity in Real Financial Markets," Papers cond-mat/0104472, arXiv.org.
- David H. Cutler & James M. Poterba & Lawrence H. Summers, 1988.
"What Moves Stock Prices?,"
487, Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), Department of Economics.
- Fama, Eugene F, 1991. " Efficient Capital Markets: II," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 46(5), pages 1575-1617, December.
- Black, Fischer & Scholes, Myron S, 1973. "The Pricing of Options and Corporate Liabilities," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 81(3), pages 637-654, May-June.
- Andreia Dionisio & Rui Menezes & Diana A. Mendes, 2007. "Entropy and Uncertainty Analysis in Financial Markets," Papers 0709.0668, arXiv.org.
- Giglio, Ricardo & Matsushita, Raul & Figueiredo, Annibal & Gleria, Iram & Da Silva, Sergio, 2008. "Algorithmic complexity theory and the relative efficiency of financial markets," MPRA Paper 8704, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Sergio Da Silva & Raul Matsushita & Ricardo Giglio, 2008. "The relative efficiency of stockmarkets," Economics Bulletin, AccessEcon, vol. 7(6), pages 1-12.
- Hector Zenil & Jean‐Paul Delahaye, 2011. "An Algorithmic Information Theoretic Approach To The Behaviour Of Financial Markets," Journal of Economic Surveys, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 25(3), pages 431-463, 07.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:riibaf:v:30:y:2014:i:c:p:336-347. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Shamier, Wendy)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.