Foreign banks and the export performance of emerging market firms: Evidence from India
This paper assesses the case for foreign banks as part of a program of institutional reform geared toward export promotion in emerging market economies. It does so by empirically evaluating the impact of foreign bank participation on the export performance of emerging market firms. It hypothesizes that foreign bank participation will not have a statistically significant moderating effect on the anticipated positive relationship between firm size and export sales. Using an unbalanced panel of 930 firm-year observations for Indian chemical firms over the period 1997–2005, it employs the two-stage least squares (2SLS) method with fixed effects to estimate a simultaneous equations model. The empirical evidence suggests that higher foreign bank participation in the domestic banking sector may attenuate the positive firm size–export sales relationship; however, this mediating effect is not significant in both statistical and economic terms. The main policy implication is discussed.
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Pla-Barber, José & Alegre, Joaquín, 2007. "Analysing the link between export intensity, innovation and firm size in a science-based industry," International Business Review, Elsevier, vol. 16(3), pages 275-293, June.
- Hasan, Iftekhar & Marton, Katherin, 2000.
"Development and Efficiency of the Banking Sector in a Transitional Economy: Hungarian Experience,"
BOFIT Discussion Papers
7/2000, Bank of Finland, Institute for Economies in Transition.
- Hasan, Iftekhar & Marton, Katherin, 2003. "Development and efficiency of the banking sector in a transitional economy: Hungarian experience," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 27(12), pages 2249-2271, December.
- Klapper, Leora, 2005.
"The role of factoring for financing small and medium enterprises,"
Policy Research Working Paper Series
3593, The World Bank.
- Klapper, Leora, 2006. "The role of factoring for financing small and medium enterprises," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 30(11), pages 3111-3130, November.
- Majocchi, Antonio & Bacchiocchi, Emanuele & Mayrhofer, Ulrike, 2005. "Firm size, business experience and export intensity in SMEs: A longitudinal approach to complex relationships," International Business Review, Elsevier, vol. 14(6), pages 719-738, December.
- Kevin C. Murdock & Thomas F. Hellmann & Joseph E. Stiglitz, 2000. "Liberalization, Moral Hazard in Banking, and Prudential Regulation: Are Capital Requirements Enough?," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 90(1), pages 147-165, March.
- Andrew B Bernard & J Bradford Jensen, 2001.
"Entry, Expansion, and Intensity in the U.S. Export Boom, 1987-1992,"
01-09, Center for Economic Studies, U.S. Census Bureau.
- Andrew B. Bernard & J. Bradford Jensen, 2004. "Entry, Expansion, and Intensity in the US Export Boom, 1987-1992," Review of International Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 12(4), pages 662-675, 09.
- Jennifer S. Crystal & B. Gerard Dages & Linda S. Goldberg, 2001. "Does foreign ownership contribute to sounder banks in emerging markets? the Latin American experience," Staff Reports 137, Federal Reserve Bank of New York.
- Sengupta, Rajdeep, 2007.
"Foreign entry and bank competition,"
Journal of Financial Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 84(2), pages 502-528, May.
- Petersen, Mitchell A & Rajan, Raghuram G, 1995.
"The Effect of Credit Market Competition on Lending Relationships,"
The Quarterly Journal of Economics,
MIT Press, vol. 110(2), pages 407-43, May.
- Mitchell A. Petersen & Raghuram G. Rajan, 1994. "The Effect of Credit Market Competition on Lending Relationships," NBER Working Papers 4921, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Ramon Moreno & Agustin Villar, 2005. "The increased role of foreign bank entry in emerging markets," BIS Papers chapters, in: Bank for International Settlements (ed.), Globalisation and monetary policy in emerging markets, volume 23, pages 9-16 Bank for International Settlements.
- Pierre-Richard AgÈnor, 2003.
"Benefits and Costs of International Financial Integration: Theory and Facts,"
The World Economy,
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 26(8), pages 1089-1118, 08.
- Agenor, Pierre-Richard, 2001. "Benefits and costs of international financial integration : theory and facts," Policy Research Working Paper Series 2699, The World Bank.
- Andrea Bonaccorsi, 1992. "On the Relationship Between Firm Size and Export Intensity," Journal of International Business Studies, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 23(4), pages 605-635, December.
- North, Douglass C., 1993.
"Economic Performance through Time,"
Nobel Prize in Economics documents
1993-2, Nobel Prize Committee.
- Singh, Deeksha A., 2009. "Export performance of emerging market firms," International Business Review, Elsevier, vol. 18(4), pages 321-330, August.
- Claessens, Stijn & Demirguc-Kunt, Asl[iota] & Huizinga, Harry, 2001. "How does foreign entry affect domestic banking markets?," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 25(5), pages 891-911, May.
- Campa, Jose M., 2000.
"Exchange rates and trade: How important is hysteresis in trade?,"
IESE Research Papers
D/427, IESE Business School.
- Campa, Jose Manuel, 2004. "Exchange rates and trade: How important is hysteresis in trade?," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 48(3), pages 527-548, June.
- Campa, José Manuel, 2000. "Exchange Rates and Trade: How Important is Hysteresis in Trade?," CEPR Discussion Papers 2606, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- The World Bank,, 2010. "India's Employment Challenge: Creating Jobs, Helping Workers," OUP Catalogue, Oxford University Press, number 9780198063513, March.
- Bayraktar, Nihal & Yan Wang, 2004. "Foreign bank entry, performance of domestic banks, and sequence of financial liberalization," Policy Research Working Paper Series 3416, The World Bank.
- López Rodríguez, José & García Rodríguez, Rafael M., 2005. "Technology and export behaviour: A resource-based view approach," International Business Review, Elsevier, vol. 14(5), pages 539-557, October.
- Gormley, Todd A., 2010. "The impact of foreign bank entry in emerging markets: Evidence from India," Journal of Financial Intermediation, Elsevier, vol. 19(1), pages 26-51, January.
- Robert G Cooper & Elko J Kleinschmidt, 1985. "The Impact of Export Strategy on Export Sales Performance," Journal of International Business Studies, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 16(1), pages 37-55, March.
- repec:aei:rpbook:24315 is not listed on IDEAS
- Santiago Carbó-Valverde & Francisco Rodríguez-Fernández & Gregory F. Udell, 2009.
"Bank Market Power and SME Financing Constraints,"
Review of Finance,
European Finance Association, vol. 13(2), pages 309-340.
- Beck, Thorsten & Demirguc-Kunt, Asli, 2006. "Small and medium-size enterprises: Access to finance as a growth constraint," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 30(11), pages 2931-2943, November.
- Dell'Ariccia, Giovanni & Marquez, Robert, 2004. "Information and bank credit allocation," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 72(1), pages 185-214, April.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:riibaf:v:29:y:2013:i:c:p:52-60. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.