Cost of entrepreneurial capital and under-diversification: A Euro-Mediterranean perspective
We assess how owner's commitment to a firm influences the firm cost of capital, and whether the relation between the former and the latter is the consequence of the owner's higher opportunity cost of capital resulting from under-diversification. Using data on private Mediterranean firms and clustering projects by country, industry, and Initial Public Offering-year, we show that the cost of capital is magnified by entrepreneur's commitment, project total risk, and correlation between project and market return.
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Alan G. Ahearne & William L. Griever & Francis E. Warnock, 2000.
"Information costs and home bias: an analysis of U.S. holdings of foreign equities,"
International Finance Discussion Papers
691, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- Ahearne, Alan G. & Griever, William L. & Warnock, Francis E., 2004. "Information costs and home bias: an analysis of US holdings of foreign equities," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 62(2), pages 313-336, March.
- Tobias J. Moskowitz & Annette Vissing-Jorgensen, 2002. "The Returns to Entrepreneurial Investment: A Private Equity Premium Puzzle?," NBER Working Papers 8876, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Buchanan, Bonnie & Yang, Tina, 2005. "The benefits and costs of controlling shareholders: the rise and fall of Parmalat," Research in International Business and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 19(1), pages 27-52, March.
- Tobias J. Moskowitz & Annette Vissing-Jørgensen, 2002. "The Returns to Entrepreneurial Investment: A Private Equity Premium Puzzle?," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 92(4), pages 745-778, September.
- Urbonavicius, Sigitas, 2005. "ISO system implementation in small and medium companies from new EU member countries: A tool of managerial and marketing benefits development," Research in International Business and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 19(3), pages 412-426, September.
- Kenneth R. French & James M. Poterba, 1991.
"Investor Diversification and International Equity Markets,"
NBER Working Papers
3609, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- French, Kenneth R & Poterba, James M, 1991. "Investor Diversification and International Equity Markets," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 81(2), pages 222-26, May.
- Colm Kearney & Valerio Poti, 2005.
"Correlation Dynamics in European Equity Markets,"
- Gerald T. Garvey, 2001. "What is a Reasonable Rate of Return for an Undiversified Investor?," Claremont Colleges Working Papers 2001-20, Claremont Colleges.
- Joshua D. Coval & Tobias J. Moskowitz, 1999. "Home Bias at Home: Local Equity Preference in Domestic Portfolios," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 54(6), pages 2045-2073, December.
- Kerins, Frank & Smith, Janet Kiholm & Smith, Richard, 2004. "Opportunity Cost of Capital for Venture Capital Investors and Entrepreneurs," Journal of Financial and Quantitative Analysis, Cambridge University Press, vol. 39(02), pages 385-405, June.
- Wagner, Niklas, 2004. "Time-varying moments, idiosyncratic risk, and an application to hot-issue IPO aftermarket returns," Research in International Business and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 18(1), pages 59-72, April.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:riibaf:v:27:y:2013:i:1:p:12-27. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.