Entrepreneurial Under-Diversification: Over Optimism and Overconfidence
Our model wants to explain how overconfidence and over optimism lead entrepreneurs to overinvest in their companies, underestimating risks and overestimating expected returns. The entrepreneur has to choose which part of her wealth to invest in her private company and which one in the stock market. Overconfidence and over optimism are parameters in our model, and they bias the entrepreneurâ€™s portfolio allocation. With a simulation analysis, we calculate overconfidence and over optimism levels implicit in the entrepreneurs' observable portfolio, instead of using proxies or indirect measures. Our explicit measure of entrepreneurial under-diversification could be used in empirical analyses.
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Harry Markowitz, 1952. "Portfolio Selection," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 7(1), pages 77-91, March.
- Kerins, Frank & Smith, Janet Kiholm & Smith, Richard, 2004. "Opportunity Cost of Capital for Venture Capital Investors and Entrepreneurs," Journal of Financial and Quantitative Analysis, Cambridge University Press, vol. 39(02), pages 385-405, June.
- Kahneman, Daniel & Tversky, Amos, 1979.
"Prospect Theory: An Analysis of Decision under Risk,"
Econometric Society, vol. 47(2), pages 263-291, March.
- Amos Tversky & Daniel Kahneman, 1979. "Prospect Theory: An Analysis of Decision under Risk," Levine's Working Paper Archive 7656, David K. Levine.
- Shefrin, Hersh, 2008. "A Behavioral Approach to Asset Pricing," Elsevier Monographs, Elsevier, edition 2, number 9780123743565.
- Tobias J. Moskowitz & Annette Vissing-Jørgensen, 2002. "The Returns to Entrepreneurial Investment: A Private Equity Premium Puzzle?," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 92(4), pages 745-778, September.
- Pattitoni, Pierpaolo & Petracci, Barbara & Potì, Valerio & Spisni, Massimo, 2013. "Cost of entrepreneurial capital and under-diversification: A Euro-Mediterranean perspective," Research in International Business and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 27(1), pages 12-27.
- Tobias J. Moskowitz & Annette Vissing-Jorgensen, 2002. "The Returns to Entrepreneurial Investment: A Private Equity Premium Puzzle?," NBER Working Papers 8876, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Pierpaolo Pattitoni & Marco Savioli, 2011. "Investment Choices: Indivisible non-Marketable Assets and Bounded Rationality," Working Paper Series 07_11, The Rimini Centre for Economic Analysis.
- John Heaton & Deborah Lucas, 2000. "Portfolio Choice and Asset Prices: The Importance of Entrepreneurial Risk," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 55(3), pages 1163-1198, June.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:rim:rimwps:09_13. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Marco Savioli)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.