Bank equity risk under bailout programs of loan guarantee and/or equity capital injection
We analyze the implication of a bailout package including a loan guarantee and a direct equity capital injection on the equity risk of a distressed bank at the taxpayer costs. The lending function with a loan guarantee of the bank creates the need to model equity as a down-and-out call (DOC) option with a capital injection due to the bank in distress. We provide validation of the DOC model by showing that the values of down-and-out call at various levels of bailout are economically significant for the distressed bank. We show that a loan guarantee, a capital injection, or a combination of the two tends to be successful in improving bank equity return. From an equity-return perspective, the bank prefers the combined package to either the solo bailout. Alternatively, from an equity-risk perspective, the government (and thus the taxpayers) prefers either the solo bailout to the combined package. The results may cast doubt on the effectiveness of the combined rescue program to simultaneously exert equity return-increasing and equity risk-reducing effects on the distressed bank.
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Robert C. Merton, 1973. "Theory of Rational Option Pricing," Bell Journal of Economics, The RAND Corporation, vol. 4(1), pages 141-183, Spring.
- Gary Gorton & Lixin Huang, 2002.
"Liquidity, Efficiency and Bank Bailouts,"
NBER Working Papers
9158, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Merton, Robert C., 1973.
"On the pricing of corporate debt: the risk structure of interest rates,"
684-73., Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), Sloan School of Management.
- Merton, Robert C, 1974. "On the Pricing of Corporate Debt: The Risk Structure of Interest Rates," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 29(2), pages 449-70, May.
- Tsai, Jeng-Yan & Hung, Wei-Ming, 2013. "Bank capital regulation in a cap option framework," International Review of Economics & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 25(C), pages 66-74.
- Lin, Jyh-Horng & Jou, Rosemary, 2005. "Financial e-commerce under capital regulation and deposit insurance," International Review of Economics & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 14(2), pages 115-128.
- Saunders, Anthony & Schumacher, Liliana, 2000. "The determinants of bank interest rate margins: an international study," Journal of International Money and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 19(6), pages 813-832, December.
- Tsai, Jeng-Yan & Chang, Chuen-Ping, 2012. "Call-pricing equity returns and default risks of entry mode with brand perception in retail banking," International Review of Economics & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 21(1), pages 29-41.
- Anil K. Kashyap & Raghuram G. Rajan & Jeremy C. Stein, 1998.
"Banks as liquidity providers: an explanation for the co-existence of lending and deposit-taking,"
582, Federal Reserve Bank of Chicago.
- Anil K. Kashyap & Raghuram Rajan & Jeremy C. Stein, 2002. "Banks as Liquidity Providers: An Explanation for the Coexistence of Lending and Deposit-Taking," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 57(1), pages 33-73, 02.
- Anil K. Kashyap & Raghuram Rajan & Jeremy C. Stein, 1999. "Banks as Liquidity Providers: An Explanation for the Co-Existence of Lending and Deposit-Taking," NBER Working Papers 6962, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Veronesi, Pietro & Zingales, Luigi, 2010.
Journal of Financial Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 97(3), pages 339-368, September.
- Tigran Poghosyan & Martin Čihak, 2011. "Determinants of Bank Distress in Europe: Evidence from a New Data Set," Journal of Financial Services Research, Springer;Western Finance Association, vol. 40(3), pages 163-184, December.
- Episcopos, Athanasios, 2008. "Bank capital regulation in a barrier option framework," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 32(8), pages 1677-1686, August.
- Hoshi, Takeo & Kashyap, Anil K, 2010.
"Will the U.S. bank recapitalization succeed? Eight lessons from Japan,"
Journal of Financial Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 97(3), pages 398-417, September.
- Takeo Hoshi & Anil K Kashyap, 2008. "Will the U.S. Bank Recapitalization Succeed? Eight Lessons from Japan," NBER Working Papers 14401, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Douglas W Diamond, 2010.
"Fear of fire sales and the credit freeze,"
BIS Working Papers
305, Bank for International Settlements.
- Ronn, Ehud I & Verma, Avinash K, 1986. " Pricing Risk-Adjusted Deposit Insurance: An Option-Based Model," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 41(4), pages 871-95, September.
- Lamont K. Black & Lieu N. Hazelwood, 2012. "The effect of TARP on bank risk-taking," International Finance Discussion Papers 1043, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- Kasman, Adnan & Tunc, Gokce & Vardar, Gulin & Okan, Berna, 2010. "Consolidation and commercial bank net interest margins: Evidence from the old and new European Union members and candidate countries," Economic Modelling, Elsevier, vol. 27(3), pages 648-655, May.
- Breitenfellner, Bastian & Wagner, Niklas, 2010. "Government intervention in response to the subprime financial crisis: The good into the pot, the bad into the crop," International Review of Financial Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 19(4), pages 289-297, September.
- Vallascas, Francesco & Hagendorff, Jens, 2011. "The impact of European bank mergers on bidder default risk," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 35(4), pages 902-915, April.
- Chou, Heng-Chih & Wang, David, 2007. "Performance of default risk model with barrier option framework and maximum likelihood estimation: Evidence from Taiwan," Physica A: Statistical Mechanics and its Applications, Elsevier, vol. 385(1), pages 270-280.
- Slovin, Myron B & Sushka, Marie Elizabeth, 1983. " A Model of the Commercial Loan Rate," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 38(5), pages 1583-96, December.
- Dinara Bayazitova & Anil Shivdasani, 2012. "Assessing TARP," Review of Financial Studies, Society for Financial Studies, vol. 25(2), pages 377-407.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:reveco:v:31:y:2014:i:c:p:263-274. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.