A barrier option framework for bank interest margin management under anticipatory regret aversion
This paper proposes a framework for bank equity valuation based on a path-dependent, barrier option model. A direct implication of this framework is that bank equity will be priced as a down-and-out call option. Using this approach, we examine how bank interest margin, i.e., the spread between the loan rate and the deposit rate, is determined when a bank is regret-averse. Regret-averse preferences are characterized by a down-and-in call, which is specified as the difference between a standard call and a down-and-out call. The model demonstrates how anticipatory regret aversion and the default barrier jointly determine an optimal bank interest margin decision. We find that a bank interest margin with a low level of default barrier is negatively related to anticipatory regret aversion and to the default barrier. Regret aversion and default barriers make a bank less prudent and more prone to risk-taking, thereby adversely affecting the stability of the banking system.
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Hawtrey, Kim & Liang, Hanyu, 2008. "Bank interest margins in OECD countries," The North American Journal of Economics and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 19(3), pages 249-260, December.
- Wong, Kit Pong, 2012. "Production and insurance under regret aversion," Economic Modelling, Elsevier, vol. 29(4), pages 1154-1160.
- Saunders, Anthony & Schumacher, Liliana, 2000. "The determinants of bank interest rate margins: an international study," Journal of International Money and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 19(6), pages 813-832, December.
- David E. Bell, 1983. "Risk Premiums for Decision Regret," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 29(10), pages 1156-1166, October.
- Merton, Robert C, 1974.
"On the Pricing of Corporate Debt: The Risk Structure of Interest Rates,"
Journal of Finance,
American Finance Association, vol. 29(2), pages 449-70, May.
- Merton, Robert C., 1973. "On the pricing of corporate debt: the risk structure of interest rates," Working papers 684-73., Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), Sloan School of Management.
- Sugden Robert, 1993. "An Axiomatic Foundation for Regret Theory," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 60(1), pages 159-180, June.
- Kasman, Adnan & Tunc, Gokce & Vardar, Gulin & Okan, Berna, 2010. "Consolidation and commercial bank net interest margins: Evidence from the old and new European Union members and candidate countries," Economic Modelling, Elsevier, vol. 27(3), pages 648-655, May.
- Young Ho Eom, 2004. "Structural Models of Corporate Bond Pricing: An Empirical Analysis," Review of Financial Studies, Society for Financial Studies, vol. 17(2), pages 499-544.
- Wong, Kit Pong, 2011. "Regret theory and the banking firm: The optimal bank interest margin," Economic Modelling, Elsevier, vol. 28(6), pages 2483-2487.
- VanHoose, David, 2007. "Theories of bank behavior under capital regulation," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 31(12), pages 3680-3697, December.
- Anil K. Kashyap & Raghuram Rajan & Jeremy C. Stein, 2002.
"Banks as Liquidity Providers: An Explanation for the Coexistence of Lending and Deposit-Taking,"
Journal of Finance,
American Finance Association, vol. 57(1), pages 33-73, 02.
- Anil K. Kashyap & Raghuram G. Rajan & Jeremy C. Stein, 1998. "Banks as liquidity providers: an explanation for the co-existence of lending and deposit-taking," Proceedings 582, Federal Reserve Bank of Chicago.
- Anil K. Kashyap & Raghuram Rajan & Jeremy C. Stein, 1999. "Banks as Liquidity Providers: An Explanation for the Co-Existence of Lending and Deposit-Taking," NBER Working Papers 6962, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Loomes, Graham & Sugden, Robert, 1982. "Regret Theory: An Alternative Theory of Rational Choice under Uncertainty," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 92(368), pages 805-24, December.
- Bhattacharya, Sudipto & Plank, Manfred & Strobl, Gunter & Zechner, Josef, 2002.
"Bank capital regulation with random audits,"
Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control,
Elsevier, vol. 26(7-8), pages 1301-1321, July.
- Bhattacharya, Sudipto & Plank, Manfred & Strobl, Günter & Zechner, Josef, 2000. "Bank Capital Regulation with Random Audits," CEPR Discussion Papers 2597, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Sudipto Bhattacharya & Manfred Plank & Josef Zechner & Gunter Strobl, 2000. "Bank Capital Regulation With Random Audits," FMG Discussion Papers dp354, Financial Markets Group.
- Maudos, Joaquin & Fernandez de Guevara, Juan, 2003.
"Factors Explaining the Interest Margin in the Banking Sectors of the European Union,"
15252, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Maudos, Joaquin & Fernandez de Guevara, Juan, 2004. "Factors explaining the interest margin in the banking sectors of the European Union," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 28(9), pages 2259-2281, September.
- Quiggin, John, 1994. "Regret Theory with General Choice Sets," Journal of Risk and Uncertainty, Springer, vol. 8(2), pages 153-65, March.
- Tsai, Jeng-Yan, 2012. "Risk and regret aversions on optimal bank interest margin under capital regulation," Economic Modelling, Elsevier, vol. 29(6), pages 2190-2197.
- Angbazo, Lazarus, 1997. "Commercial bank net interest margins, default risk, interest-rate risk, and off-balance sheet banking," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 21(1), pages 55-87, January.
- Michael Braun & Alexander Muermann, 2004. "The Impact of Regret on the Demand for Insurance," Journal of Risk & Insurance, The American Risk and Insurance Association, vol. 71(4), pages 737-767.
- Mazumdar, Sumon C, 1997. "Regulatory Monitoring, Closure Costs and Bank Moral Hazard Behavior," Journal of Regulatory Economics, Springer, vol. 12(3), pages 267-89, November.
- Heid, Frank & Krüger, Ulrich, 2011. "Do capital buffers mitigate volatility of bank lending? A simulation study," Discussion Paper Series 2: Banking and Financial Studies 2011,03, Deutsche Bundesbank, Research Centre.
- Ho, Thomas S. Y. & Saunders, Anthony, 1981. "The Determinants of Bank Interest Margins: Theory and Empirical Evidence," Journal of Financial and Quantitative Analysis, Cambridge University Press, vol. 16(04), pages 581-600, November.
- Zarruk, Emilio R., 1989. "Bank spread with uncertain deposit level and risk aversion," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 13(6), pages 797-810, December.
- Simonson, Itamar, 1992. " The Influence of Anticipating Regret and Responsibility on Purchase Decisions," Journal of Consumer Research, Oxford University Press, vol. 19(1), pages 105-18, June.
- Robert C. Merton, 1973. "Theory of Rational Option Pricing," Bell Journal of Economics, The RAND Corporation, vol. 4(1), pages 141-183, Spring.
- Zarruk, Emilio R. & Madura, Jeff, 1992. "Optimal Bank Interest Margin under Capital Regulation and Deposit Insurance," Journal of Financial and Quantitative Analysis, Cambridge University Press, vol. 27(01), pages 143-149, March.
- Mullins, Helena M. & Pyle, David H., 1994. "Liquidation costs and risk-based bank capital," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 18(1), pages 113-138, January.
- Ronn, Ehud I & Verma, Avinash K, 1986. " Pricing Risk-Adjusted Deposit Insurance: An Option-Based Model," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 41(4), pages 871-95, September.
- Chou, Heng-Chih & Wang, David, 2007. "Performance of default risk model with barrier option framework and maximum likelihood estimation: Evidence from Taiwan," Physica A: Statistical Mechanics and its Applications, Elsevier, vol. 385(1), pages 270-280.
- Benjamin E. Hermalin, 2005. "Trends in Corporate Governance," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 60(5), pages 2351-2384, October.
- Episcopos, Athanasios, 2008. "Bank capital regulation in a barrier option framework," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 32(8), pages 1677-1686, August.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:ecmode:v:33:y:2013:i:c:p:794-801. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Shamier, Wendy)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.