A barrier option framework for bank interest margin management under anticipatory regret aversion
This paper proposes a framework for bank equity valuation based on a path-dependent, barrier option model. A direct implication of this framework is that bank equity will be priced as a down-and-out call option. Using this approach, we examine how bank interest margin, i.e., the spread between the loan rate and the deposit rate, is determined when a bank is regret-averse. Regret-averse preferences are characterized by a down-and-in call, which is specified as the difference between a standard call and a down-and-out call. The model demonstrates how anticipatory regret aversion and the default barrier jointly determine an optimal bank interest margin decision. We find that a bank interest margin with a low level of default barrier is negatively related to anticipatory regret aversion and to the default barrier. Regret aversion and default barriers make a bank less prudent and more prone to risk-taking, thereby adversely affecting the stability of the banking system.
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Hawtrey, Kim & Liang, Hanyu, 2008. "Bank interest margins in OECD countries," The North American Journal of Economics and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 19(3), pages 249-260, December.
- Sudipto Bhattacharya & Manfred Plank & Josef Zechner & Gunter Strobl, 2000.
"Bank Capital Regulation With Random Audits,"
FMG Discussion Papers
dp354, Financial Markets Group.
- Angbazo, Lazarus, 1997. "Commercial bank net interest margins, default risk, interest-rate risk, and off-balance sheet banking," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 21(1), pages 55-87, January.
- Quiggin, John, 1994. "Regret Theory with General Choice Sets," Journal of Risk and Uncertainty, Springer, vol. 8(2), pages 153-65, March.
- VanHoose, David, 2007. "Theories of bank behavior under capital regulation," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 31(12), pages 3680-3697, December.
- Zarruk, Emilio R., 1989. "Bank spread with uncertain deposit level and risk aversion," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 13(6), pages 797-810, December.
- Ronn, Ehud I & Verma, Avinash K, 1986. " Pricing Risk-Adjusted Deposit Insurance: An Option-Based Model," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 41(4), pages 871-95, September.
- Young Ho Eom, 2004. "Structural Models of Corporate Bond Pricing: An Empirical Analysis," Review of Financial Studies, Society for Financial Studies, vol. 17(2), pages 499-544.
- Anil K. Kashyap & Raghuram G. Rajan & Jeremy C. Stein, 1998.
"Banks as liquidity providers: an explanation for the co-existence of lending and deposit-taking,"
582, Federal Reserve Bank of Chicago.
- Anil K. Kashyap & Raghuram Rajan & Jeremy C. Stein, 2002. "Banks as Liquidity Providers: An Explanation for the Coexistence of Lending and Deposit-Taking," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 57(1), pages 33-73, 02.
- Anil K. Kashyap & Raghuram Rajan & Jeremy C. Stein, 1999. "Banks as Liquidity Providers: An Explanation for the Co-Existence of Lending and Deposit-Taking," NBER Working Papers 6962, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Merton, Robert C, 1974.
"On the Pricing of Corporate Debt: The Risk Structure of Interest Rates,"
Journal of Finance,
American Finance Association, vol. 29(2), pages 449-70, May.
- Merton, Robert C., 1973. "On the pricing of corporate debt: the risk structure of interest rates," Working papers 684-73., Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), Sloan School of Management.
- David E. Bell, 1983. "Risk Premiums for Decision Regret," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 29(10), pages 1156-1166, October.
- Tsai, Jeng-Yan, 2012. "Risk and regret aversions on optimal bank interest margin under capital regulation," Economic Modelling, Elsevier, vol. 29(6), pages 2190-2197.
- Heid, Frank & Krüger, Ulrich, 2011. "Do capital buffers mitigate volatility of bank lending? A simulation study," Discussion Paper Series 2: Banking and Financial Studies 2011,03, Deutsche Bundesbank, Research Centre.
- Zarruk, Emilio R. & Madura, Jeff, 1992. "Optimal Bank Interest Margin under Capital Regulation and Deposit Insurance," Journal of Financial and Quantitative Analysis, Cambridge University Press, vol. 27(01), pages 143-149, March.
- Wong, Kit Pong, 2011. "Regret theory and the banking firm: The optimal bank interest margin," Economic Modelling, Elsevier, vol. 28(6), pages 2483-2487.
- Wong, Kit Pong, 2012. "Production and insurance under regret aversion," Economic Modelling, Elsevier, vol. 29(4), pages 1154-1160.
- Maudos, Joaquin & Fernandez de Guevara, Juan, 2003.
"Factors Explaining the Interest Margin in the Banking Sectors of the European Union,"
15252, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Maudos, Joaquin & Fernandez de Guevara, Juan, 2004. "Factors explaining the interest margin in the banking sectors of the European Union," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 28(9), pages 2259-2281, September.
- Episcopos, Athanasios, 2008. "Bank capital regulation in a barrier option framework," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 32(8), pages 1677-1686, August.
- Robert C. Merton, 1973.
"Theory of Rational Option Pricing,"
Bell Journal of Economics,
The RAND Corporation, vol. 4(1), pages 141-183, Spring.
- Ho, Thomas S. Y. & Saunders, Anthony, 1981. "The Determinants of Bank Interest Margins: Theory and Empirical Evidence," Journal of Financial and Quantitative Analysis, Cambridge University Press, vol. 16(04), pages 581-600, November.
- Mullins, Helena M. & Pyle, David H., 1994. "Liquidation costs and risk-based bank capital," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 18(1), pages 113-138, January.
- Benjamin E. Hermalin, 2005. "Trends in Corporate Governance," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 60(5), pages 2351-2384, October.
- Loomes, Graham & Sugden, Robert, 1982. "Regret Theory: An Alternative Theory of Rational Choice under Uncertainty," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 92(368), pages 805-24, December.
- Michael Braun & Alexander Muermann, 2004. "The Impact of Regret on the Demand for Insurance," Journal of Risk & Insurance, The American Risk and Insurance Association, vol. 71(4), pages 737-767.
- Mazumdar, Sumon C, 1997. "Regulatory Monitoring, Closure Costs and Bank Moral Hazard Behavior," Journal of Regulatory Economics, Springer, vol. 12(3), pages 267-89, November.
- Sugden Robert, 1993. "An Axiomatic Foundation for Regret Theory," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 60(1), pages 159-180, June.
- Kasman, Adnan & Tunc, Gokce & Vardar, Gulin & Okan, Berna, 2010. "Consolidation and commercial bank net interest margins: Evidence from the old and new European Union members and candidate countries," Economic Modelling, Elsevier, vol. 27(3), pages 648-655, May.
- Saunders, Anthony & Schumacher, Liliana, 2000. "The determinants of bank interest rate margins: an international study," Journal of International Money and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 19(6), pages 813-832, December.
- Simonson, Itamar, 1992. " The Influence of Anticipating Regret and Responsibility on Purchase Decisions," Journal of Consumer Research, Oxford University Press, vol. 19(1), pages 105-18, June.
- Chou, Heng-Chih & Wang, David, 2007. "Performance of default risk model with barrier option framework and maximum likelihood estimation: Evidence from Taiwan," Physica A: Statistical Mechanics and its Applications, Elsevier, vol. 385(1), pages 270-280.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:ecmode:v:33:y:2013:i:c:p:794-801. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Shamier, Wendy)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.