Government intervention in response to the subprime financial crisis: The good into the pot, the bad into the crop
Download full text from publisher
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to search for a different version of it.
References listed on IDEAS
- Gary Gorton & Lixin Huang, 2004.
"Liquidity, Efficiency, and Bank Bailouts,"
American Economic Review,
American Economic Association, vol. 94(3), pages 455-483, June.
- Gary Gorton & Lixin Huang, 2002. "Liquidity, Efficiency and Bank Bailouts," Center for Financial Institutions Working Papers 02-33, Wharton School Center for Financial Institutions, University of Pennsylvania.
- Gary Gorton & Lixin Huang, 2002. "Liquidity, Efficiency and Bank Bailouts," NBER Working Papers 9158, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Viral V. Acharya & Tanju Yorulmazer, 2008.
"Cash-in-the-Market Pricing and Optimal Resolution of Bank Failures,"
Review of Financial Studies,
Society for Financial Studies, vol. 21(6), pages 2705-2742, November.
- Viral Acharya & Tanju Yorulmazer, 2007. "Cash-in-the-market pricing and optimal resolution of bank failures," Bank of England working papers 328, Bank of England.
- Marvin Goodfriend & Robert G. King, 1988.
"Financial deregulation, monetary policy, and central banking,"
Federal Reserve Bank of Richmond, issue May, pages 3-22.
- Goodfriend, M. & King, R.G., 1988. "Financial Deregulation, Monetary Policy, And Central Banking," RCER Working Papers 121, University of Rochester - Center for Economic Research (RCER).
- Marvin Goodfriend & Robert G. King, 1988. "Financial deregulation, monetary policy, and central banking," Working Paper 88-01, Federal Reserve Bank of Richmond.
- Franklin Allen & Elena Carletti, 2010. "An Overview of the Crisis: Causes, Consequences, and Solutions-super-," International Review of Finance, International Review of Finance Ltd., vol. 10(s1), pages 1-26.
- Douglas W. Diamond & Raghuram G. Rajan, 2005.
"Liquidity Shortages and Banking Crises,"
Journal of Finance,
American Finance Association, vol. 60(2), pages 615-647, April.
- Douglas W. Diamond & Raghuram G. Rajan, 2002. "Liquidity Shortages and Banking Crises," NBER Working Papers 8937, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Douglas W. Diamond & Raghuram G. Rajan, 2003. "Liquidity Shortages and Banking Crises," NBER Working Papers 10071, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Douglas W. Diamond & Philip H. Dybvig, 2000. "Bank runs, deposit insurance, and liquidity," Quarterly Review, Federal Reserve Bank of Minneapolis, issue Win, pages 14-23.
- Gary B. Gorton & Nicholas S. Souleles, 2007.
"Special Purpose Vehicles and Securitization,"
NBER Chapters,in: The Risks of Financial Institutions, pages 549-602
National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Gary Gorton & Nicholas Souleles, 2005. "Special Purpose Vehicles and Securitization," NBER Working Papers 11190, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Gary Gorton & Nicholas S. Souleles, 2005. "Special purpose vehicles and securitization," Working Papers 05-21, Federal Reserve Bank of Philadelphia.
- Bebchuk Lucian A., 2008. "A Better Plan for Addressing the Financial Crisis," The Economists' Voice, De Gruyter, vol. 5(5), pages 1-8, September.
- Douglas W. Diamond & Raghuram G. Rajan, 2002. "Bank Bailouts and Aggregate Liquidity," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 92(2), pages 38-41, May.
- Paul S. Mills & John Kiff, 2007. "Money for Nothing and Checks for Free; Recent Developments in U.S. Subprime Mortgage Markets," IMF Working Papers 07/188, International Monetary Fund.
- Philippe Aghion, Patrick Bolton & Steven Fries, 1999. "Optimal Design of Bank Bailouts: The Case of Transition Economies," Journal of Institutional and Theoretical Economics (JITE), Mohr Siebeck, Tübingen, vol. 155(1), pages 1-51, March.
- Gary Gorton, 2009. "The Subprime Panic," European Financial Management, European Financial Management Association, vol. 15(1), pages 10-46.
- Bryant, John, 1980. "A model of reserves, bank runs, and deposit insurance," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 4(4), pages 335-344, December.
- Hoshi, Takeo & Kashyap, Anil K, 2010.
"Will the U.S. bank recapitalization succeed? Eight lessons from Japan,"
Journal of Financial Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 97(3), pages 398-417, September.
- Takeo Hoshi & Anil K. Kashyap, 2008. "Will the U.S. Bank Recapitalization Succeed? Eight Lessons from Japan," NBER Working Papers 14401, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Linus Wilson, 2010. "The put problem with buying toxic assets," Applied Financial Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 20(1-2), pages 31-35.
- Franke, Günter & Krahnen, Jan Pieter, 2008. "The future of securitization," CFS Working Paper Series 2008/31, Center for Financial Studies (CFS).
- Martin Scheicher, 2003. "Credit Derivatives - Overview and Implications for Monetary Policy and Financial Stability," Financial Stability Report, Oesterreichische Nationalbank (Austrian Central Bank), issue 5, pages 96-111.
- Xavier Freixas, 1999.
"Optimal bail out policy, conditionality and constructive ambiguity,"
Economics Working Papers
400, Department of Economics and Business, Universitat Pompeu Fabra.
- X. Freixas, 2000. "Optimal Bail Out Policy, Conditionality and Constructive Ambiguity," DNB Staff Reports (discontinued) 49, Netherlands Central Bank.
CitationsCitations are extracted by the CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Ntim, Collins G. & Lindop, Sarah & Thomas, Dennis A., 2013. "Corporate governance and risk reporting in South Africa: A study of corporate risk disclosures in the pre- and post-2007/2008 global financial crisis periods," International Review of Financial Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 30(C), pages 363-383.
- Nathalie Rey, 2012. "États et Systèmes financiers européens : une relation biaisée," Post-Print halshs-00697323, HAL.
- Chen, Shi & Chang, Chuen-Ping, 2015. "Should bank loan portfolio be diversified under government capital injection and deposit insurance fund protection?," International Review of Economics & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 38(C), pages 131-141.
- Chang, Chuen-Ping & Chen, Shi, 2016. "Government capital injection, credit risk transfer, and bank performance during a financial crisis," Economic Modelling, Elsevier, vol. 53(C), pages 477-486.
- Alsakka, Rasha & ap Gwilym, Owain, 2012. "Rating agencies' credit signals: An analysis of sovereign watch and outlook," International Review of Financial Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 21(C), pages 45-55.
- Lin, Jyh-Horng & Tsai, Jeng-Yan & Hung, Wei-Ming, 2014. "Bank equity risk under bailout programs of loan guarantee and/or equity capital injection," International Review of Economics & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 31(C), pages 263-274.
- Pami Dua & Divya Tuteja, 2016. "Contagion in International Stock and Currency Markets During Recent Crisis Episodes," Working papers 258, Centre for Development Economics, Delhi School of Economics.
- Chang, Chuen-Ping, 2012. "Default probability of a captive credit bank with government capital injections: A capped barrier option approach," Economic Modelling, Elsevier, vol. 29(6), pages 2444-2450.
- Claudio Morana, 2013. "Factor Vector Autoregressive Estimation of Heteroskedastic Persistent and Non Persistent Processes Subject to Structural Breaks: New Insights on the US OIS SPreads Term Structure," Working Papers 233, University of Milano-Bicocca, Department of Economics, revised Feb 2013.
- Chang, Chuen-Ping, 2014. "A barrier option framework for rescue package designs and bank default risks," Economic Modelling, Elsevier, vol. 38(C), pages 246-257.
- Jou, Rosemary & Chen, Shi & Tsai, Jeng-Yan, 2017. "Politically connected lending, government capital injection, and bank performance," International Review of Economics & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 47(C), pages 220-232.
- Dua, Pami & Tuteja, Divya, 2016. "Financial crises and dynamic linkages across international stock and currency markets," Economic Modelling, Elsevier, vol. 59(C), pages 249-261.
- Nathalie Rey, 2012. "European States and Financial Systems: A Biased Relationship," Post-Print halshs-00758892, HAL.
- Jacques, Sébastien & Lai, Van Son & Soumaré, Issouf, 2011. "Synthetizing a debt guarantee: Super-replication versus utility approach," International Review of Financial Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 20(1), pages 27-40, January.
- Simona-Gabriela MAŞCA, 2011. "The State and the Economy – Theoretical Aspects and Empirical Evidence for the EU," Theoretical and Applied Economics, Asociatia Generala a Economistilor din Romania - AGER, vol. 0(5(558)), pages 17-44, May.
- Ku-Jun Lin & Rosemary Jou & Tzu-Hao Lin, 2014. "A Barrier Option Utility Framework for Bank Interest Margin under Government Bailout," International Journal of Financial Research, International Journal of Financial Research, Sciedu Press, vol. 5(4), pages 144-154, October.
More about this item
KeywordsFinancial crisis Government intervention Bailout Risk management Credit derivatives Securitization;
StatisticsAccess and download statistics
All material on this site has been provided by the respective publishers and authors. You can help correct errors and omissions. When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:finana:v:19:y:2010:i:4:p:289-297. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Dana Niculescu). General contact details of provider: http://www.elsevier.com/locate/inca/620166 .
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your RePEc Author Service profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.