Transport choice behaviour of Chinese and Australian tourists in Scotland
This study aimed to investigate and analyse the internal pre-purchase transport choice behaviour of Chinese and Australian tourists in Scotland. A literature review was carried out to explore the pre-purchase internal transport choice behaviour of tourists. A questionnaire was designed based on the findings of the literature review. A convenience sampling plan was developed to achieve a valid and statistically significant sample size for the two selected markets: Chinese and Australian tourists. Surveys were distributed directly within the Highlands and indirectly through tour operators. A number of significant differences in pre-purchase transport choice behaviour were found between independent and tour travellers and between Chinese and Australian tourists. A number of other variables including English language capabilities, country of residence, education levels and previous travel experience were also found to have significant influences on the process. A number of recommendations relating to market analysis and research, promotion and product development were made to Scottish tourism transport providers based on the findings.
Volume (Year): 26 (2010)
Issue (Month): 1 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/wps/find/journaldescription.cws_home/620614/description#description|
|Order Information:|| Postal: http://www.elsevier.com/wps/find/supportfaq.cws_home/regional|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Koppelman, Frank S. & Sethi, Vaneet, 2005. "Incorporating variance and covariance heterogeneity in the Generalized Nested Logit model: an application to modeling long distance travel choice behavior," Transportation Research Part B: Methodological, Elsevier, vol. 39(9), pages 825-853, November.
- Gonzalez, Maria Elisa Alen & Comesana, Lorenzo Rodriguez & Brea, Jose Antonio Fraiz, 2007. "Assessing tourist behavioral intentions through perceived service quality and customer satisfaction," Journal of Business Research, Elsevier, vol. 60(2), pages 153-160, February.
- Hess, Stephane, 2007. "Posterior analysis of random taste coefficients in air travel behaviour modelling," Journal of Air Transport Management, Elsevier, vol. 13(4), pages 203-212.
- Tretheway, Michael & Mak, Doris, 2006. "Emerging tourism markets: Ageing and developing economies," Journal of Air Transport Management, Elsevier, vol. 12(1), pages 21-27.
- Hensher, David A., 1997. "A practical approach to identifying the market potential for high speed rail: A case study in the Sydney-Canberra corridor," Transportation Research Part A: Policy and Practice, Elsevier, vol. 31(6), pages 431-446, November.
- Bhat, Chandra R., 1998. "Accommodating variations in responsiveness to level-of-service measures in travel mode choice modeling," Transportation Research Part A: Policy and Practice, Elsevier, vol. 32(7), pages 495-507, September.
- Zhang, Junyi & Timmermans, Harry & Borgers, Aloys & Wang, Donggen, 2004. "Modeling traveler choice behavior using the concepts of relative utility and relative interest," Transportation Research Part B: Methodological, Elsevier, vol. 38(3), pages 215-234, March.
- Hess, Stephane & Adler, Thomas & Polak, John W., 2007. "Modelling airport and airline choice behaviour with the use of stated preference survey data," Transportation Research Part E: Logistics and Transportation Review, Elsevier, vol. 43(3), pages 221-233, May.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:retrec:v:26:y:2010:i:1:p:54-65. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Shamier, Wendy)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.