How firms innovate through R&D internationalization? An S-curve hypothesis
This article examines the effects of R&D internationalization and organizational slack on innovation performance. We suggest that there is an S-shaped relationship between R&D internationalization and innovation performance. Innovation performance increases in the decentralization stage, decreases in the transition stage, and increases again in the recentralization stage. In addition, organizational slack is hypothesized to have a negative moderating effect on the S-shaped relationship. Longitudinal data on 210 Taiwanese firms in the information technology sector during a 10-year period is collected to test the hypotheses. The findings support our prediction. Managerial implications and future research directions are discussed.
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Adam B. Jaffe & Michael S. Fogarty & Bruce A. Banks, 1997.
"Evidence from Patents and Patent Citations on the Impact of NASA and Other Federal Labs on Commercial Innovation,"
NBER Working Papers
6044, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Jaffe, Adam B & Fogarty, Michael S & Banks, Bruce A, 1998. "Evidence from Patents and Patent Citations on the Impact of NASA and Other Federal Labs on Commercial Innovation," Journal of Industrial Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 46(2), pages 183-205, June.
- Dietmar Harhoff & Francis Narin & F. M. Scherer & Katrin Vopel, 1999. "Citation Frequency And The Value Of Patented Inventions," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 81(3), pages 511-515, August.
- Jacquemin, Alexis P & Berry, Charles H, 1979. "Entropy Measure of Diversification and Corporate Growth," Journal of Industrial Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 27(4), pages 359-69, June.
- Ram Mudambi & Pietro Navarra, 2004. "Is knowledge power? Knowledge flows, subsidiary power and rent-seeking within MNCs," Journal of International Business Studies, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 35(5), pages 385-406, September.
- Michelle Gittelman & Bruce Kogut, 2003. "Does Good Science Lead to Valuable Knowledge? Biotechnology Firms and the Evolutionary Logic of Citation Patterns," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 49(4), pages 366-382, April.
- Nohria, Nitin & Gulati, Ranjay, 1997. "What is the optimum amount of organizational slack? : A study of the relationship between slack and innovation in multinational firms," European Management Journal, Elsevier, vol. 15(6), pages 603-611, December.
- Alice Lam, 2003. "Organisational Learning in Multinationals R&D networks of Japanese and U.S. MNEs in the U.K," DRUID Working Papers 03-03, DRUID, Copenhagen Business School, Department of Industrial Economics and Strategy/Aalborg University, Department of Business Studies.
- Reger, Guido, 2004. "Coordinating globally dispersed research centres of excellence--the case of Philips Electronics," Journal of International Management, Elsevier, vol. 10(1), pages 51-76.
- Griliches, Zvi, 1990.
"Patent Statistics as Economic Indicators: A Survey,"
Journal of Economic Literature,
American Economic Association, vol. 28(4), pages 1661-1707, December.
- Zvi Griliches, 1998. "Patent Statistics as Economic Indicators: A Survey," NBER Chapters, in: R&D and Productivity: The Econometric Evidence, pages 287-343 National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Zvi Griliches, 1990. "Patent Statistics as Economic Indicators: A Survey," NBER Working Papers 3301, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Chen, Chung-Jen & Huang, Yi-Fen, 2010. "Creative workforce density, organizational slack, and innovation performance," Journal of Business Research, Elsevier, vol. 63(4), pages 411-417, April.
- Singh, Jasjit, 2008. "Distributed R&D, cross-regional knowledge integration and quality of innovative output," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 37(1), pages 77-96, February.
- Elena Huergo & Jordi Jaumandreu, 2004. "How Does Probability of Innovation Change with Firm Age?," Small Business Economics, Springer, vol. 22(3_4), pages 193-207, 04.
- Kazuhiro Asakawa & Ashok Som, 2008. "Internationalization of R&D in China and India: Conventional wisdom versus reality," Asia Pacific Journal of Management, Springer, vol. 25(3), pages 375-394, September.
- repec:fth:harver:1473 is not listed on IDEAS
- Narin, Francis & Noma, Elliot & Perry, Ross, 1987. "Patents as indicators of corporate technological strength," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 16(2-4), pages 143-155, August.
- Joseph L C Cheng & Douglas S Bolon, 1993. "The Management of Multinational R&D: A Neglected Topic in International Business Research," Journal of International Business Studies, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 24(1), pages 1-18, March.
- von Zedtwitz, Maximilian & Gassmann, Oliver, 2002. "Market versus technology drive in R&D internationalization: four different patterns of managing research and development," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 31(4), pages 569-588, May.
- Alice Lam, 2003. "Organizational Learning in Multinationals: R&D Networks of Japanese and US MNEs in the UK," Journal of Management Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 40(3), pages 673-703, 05.
- Francesca Sanna-Randaccio & Reinhilde Veugelers, 2007. "Multinational knowledge spillovers with decentralised R&D: a game-theoretic approach," Journal of International Business Studies, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 38(1), pages 47-63, January.
- David M. Drukker, 2003. "Testing for serial correlation in linear panel-data models," Stata Journal, StataCorp LP, vol. 3(2), pages 168-177, June.
- Zander, Ivo, 1997. "Technological diversification in the multinational corporation--historical evolution and future prospects," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 26(2), pages 209-227, May.
- Fisch, Jan Hendrik, 2003. "Optimal dispersion of R&D activities in multinational corporations with a genetic algorithm," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 32(8), pages 1381-1396, September.
- Shantanu Dutta & Allen M. Weiss, 1997. "The Relationship Between a Firm's Level of Technological Innovativeness and Its Pattern of Partnership Agreements," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 43(3), pages 343-356, March.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:respol:v:41:y:2012:i:9:p:1544-1554. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.