Economic analysis of power generation from floating solar chimney power plant
Solar chimney thermal power technology that has a long life span is a promising large-scale solar power generating technology. This paper performs economic analysis of power generation from floating solar chimney power plant (FSCPP) by analyzing cash flows during the whole service period of a 100Â MW plant. Cash flows are influenced by many factors including investment, operation and maintenance cost, life span, payback period, inflation rate, minimum attractive rate of return, non-returnable subsidy rate, interest rate of loans, sale price of electricity, income tax rate and whether additional revenue generated by carbon credits is included or not. Financial incentives and additional revenue generated by carbon credits can accelerate the development of the FSCPP. Sensitivity analysis to examine the effects of the factors on cash flows of a 100Â MW FSCPP is performed in detail. The results show that the minimum price for obtaining minimum attractive rate of return (MARR) of 8% reaches 0.83Â yuanÂ (kWh)-1 under financial incentives including loans at a low interest rate of 2% and free income tax. Comparisons of economics of the FSCPP and reinforced concrete solar chimney power plant or solar photovoltaic plant are also performed by analyzing their cash flows. It is concluded that FSCPP is in reality more economical than reinforced concrete solar chimney power plant (RCSCPP) or solar photovoltaic plant (SPVP) with the same power capacity.
Volume (Year): 13 (2009)
Issue (Month): 4 (May)
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/wps/find/journaldescription.cws_home/600126/description#description|
|Order Information:|| Postal: http://www.elsevier.com/wps/find/journaldescription.cws_home/600126/bibliographic|
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Zhou, Xinping & Yang, Jiakuan & Xiao, Bo & Hou, Guoxiang, 2007. "Simulation of a pilot solar chimney thermal power generating equipment," Renewable Energy, Elsevier, vol. 32(10), pages 1637-1644.
- Shaahid, S.M. & Elhadidy, M.A., 2008. "Economic analysis of hybrid photovoltaic-diesel-battery power systems for residential loads in hot regions--A step to clean future," Renewable and Sustainable Energy Reviews, Elsevier, vol. 12(2), pages 488-503, February.
- Ketlogetswe, Clever & Fiszdon, Jerzy K. & Seabe, Omphemetse O., 2008. "Solar chimney power generation project--The case for Botswana," Renewable and Sustainable Energy Reviews, Elsevier, vol. 12(7), pages 2005-2012, September.
- Olivier, Jürgen R. & Harms, Thomas M. & Esterhuyse, Daniël J., 2008. "Technical and economic evaluation of the utilization of solar energy at South Africa's SANAE IV base in Antarctica," Renewable Energy, Elsevier, vol. 33(5), pages 1073-1084.
- Trieb, F, 2000. "Competitive solar thermal power stations until 2010—the challenge of market introduction," Renewable Energy, Elsevier, vol. 19(1), pages 163-171.
- Zhou, Xinping & Xiao, Bo & Ochieng, Reccab M. & Yang, Jiakuan, 2009. "Utilization of carbon-negative biofuels from low-input high-diversity grassland biomass for energy in China," Renewable and Sustainable Energy Reviews, Elsevier, vol. 13(2), pages 479-485, February.
- Talavera, D.L. & Nofuentes, G. & Aguilera, J. & Fuentes, M., 2007. "Tables for the estimation of the internal rate of return of photovoltaic grid-connected systems," Renewable and Sustainable Energy Reviews, Elsevier, vol. 11(3), pages 447-466, April.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:rensus:v:13:y:2009:i:4:p:736-749. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Dana Niculescu)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.