The impact of land policy on the relation between housing and land prices: Evidence from China
This paper reviews the evolution of Chinese land policy over the past two decades and examines its impact on the dynamic relationship between housing and land prices in the Chinese real estate market. Using panel datasets from Beijing, Shanghai, Tianjin, and Chongqing, we find that there exists a long-run equilibrium between Chinese urban housing and land markets. At the same time, there is unidirectional Granger causality between housing and land prices in the short run: housing prices are Granger caused by land prices, while the reverse does not hold. We also show that urban housing markets are more informationally efficient than urban land markets. Moreover, the housing and land markets are less efficient since the adoption of a new land granting system in China in 2004, as both markets respond to market disequilibria more slowly than before.
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Engle, Robert & Granger, Clive, 2015.
"Co-integration and error correction: Representation, estimation, and testing,"
Publishing House "SINERGIA PRESS", vol. 39(3), pages 106-135.
- Engle, Robert F & Granger, Clive W J, 1987. "Co-integration and Error Correction: Representation, Estimation, and Testing," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 55(2), pages 251-276, March.
- Joseph T.L. Ooi & C.F. Sirmans & Geoffrey K. Turnbull, 2006. "Price Formation Under Small Numbers Competition: Evidence from Land Auctions in Singapore," Real Estate Economics, American Real Estate and Urban Economics Association, vol. 34(1), pages 51-76, 03.
- Michael J. Potepan, 1996. "Explaining Intermetropolitan Variation in Housing Prices, Rents and Land Prices," Real Estate Economics, American Real Estate and Urban Economics Association, vol. 24(2), pages 219-245.
- Ozanne, Larry & Thibodeau, Thomas, 1983. "Explaining metropolitan housing price differences," Journal of Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 13(1), pages 51-66, January.
- Ahmed Alyousha & Christopher Tsoukis, 1998. "Ricardian causal ordering and the relation between house and land prices: evidence from England," Applied Economics Letters, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 5(5), pages 325-328.
- Liang, Qi & Cao, Hua, 2007. "Property prices and bank lending in China," Journal of Asian Economics, Elsevier, vol. 18(1), pages 63-75, February.
- Liang Peng & Thomas Thibodeau, 2012. "Government Interference and the Efficiency of the Land Market in China," The Journal of Real Estate Finance and Economics, Springer, vol. 45(4), pages 919-938, November.
- Granger, C W J, 1969. "Investigating Causal Relations by Econometric Models and Cross-Spectral Methods," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 37(3), pages 424-438, July.
- Im, Kyung So & Pesaran, M. Hashem & Shin, Yongcheol, 2003. "Testing for unit roots in heterogeneous panels," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 115(1), pages 53-74, July.
- Pasaran, M.H. & Im, K.S. & Shin, Y., 1995. "Testing for Unit Roots in Heterogeneous Panels," Cambridge Working Papers in Economics 9526, Faculty of Economics, University of Cambridge.
- Tom Doan, "undated". "IPSHIN: RATS procedure to implement Im, Pesaran and Shin panel unit root test," Statistical Software Components RTS00098, Boston College Department of Economics.
- Mark G. Dotzour & Everard Moorhead & Daniel T. Winkler, 1998. "The Impact of Auctions on Residential Sales Prices in New Zealand," Journal of Real Estate Research, American Real Estate Society, vol. 16(1), pages 57-72.
- Zheng, Siqi & Kahn, Matthew E., 2008. "Land and residential property markets in a booming economy: New evidence from Beijing," Journal of Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 63(2), pages 743-757, March.
- Marcus T. Allen & Judith Swisher, 2000. "An Analysis of the Price Formation Process at a HUD Auction," Journal of Real Estate Research, American Real Estate Society, vol. 20(3), pages 279-298.
- Raphael W. Bostic & Stanley D. Longhofer & Christian L. Redfearn, 2007. "Land Leverage: Decomposing Home Price Dynamics," Real Estate Economics, American Real Estate and Urban Economics Association, vol. 35(2), pages 183-208, 06.
- Norman Miller & Liang Peng, 2006. "Exploring Metropolitan Housing Price Volatility," The Journal of Real Estate Finance and Economics, Springer, vol. 33(1), pages 5-18, August. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)