Inequality and club formation
We study the relationship between social segmentation and income inequality by means of the economic theory of clubs with private provision of the club good. After having characterized the equilibrium partition of society in clubs and investigating its characteristics, we show how the clubs' sizes depend on the rate of income increase and compare segmentation profiles arising in societies characterized by different inequality patterns.
(This abstract was borrowed from another version of this item.)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Durlauf, S.N., 1992.
"A Theory of Persistent Income Inequality,"
47, Stanford - Institute for Thoretical Economics.
- Barham, Vicky & Boadway, Robin & Marchand, Maurice & Pestieau, Pierre, 1997.
"Volunteer work and club size: Nash equilibrium and optimality,"
Journal of Public Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 65(1), pages 9-22, July.
- BARHAM, Vicky & BOADWAY, Robin & MARCHAND, Maurice & PESTIEAU, Pierre, 1992. "Volunteer work and club size: Nash equilibrium and optimality," CORE Discussion Papers 1992040, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Barham, V. & Boadway, R. & Marchand, M. & Pestieau, P., . "Volunteer work and club size: Nash equilibrium and optimality," CORE Discussion Papers RP 1277, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Wacziarg, Romain & Spolaore, Enrico & Alesina, Alberto, 2000.
"Economic Integration and Political Disintegration,"
4553029, Harvard University Department of Economics.
- Yitzhaki, Shlomo & Lerman, Robert I, 1991. "Income Stratification and Income Inequality," Review of Income and Wealth, International Association for Research in Income and Wealth, vol. 37(3), pages 313-29, September.
- Greenberg, Joseph & Weber, Shlomo, 1986. "Strong tiebout equilibrium under restricted preferences domain," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 38(1), pages 101-117, February.
- Isaac, R Mark & Walker, James M, 1988. "Communication and Free-Riding Behavior: The Voluntary Contribution Mechanism," Economic Inquiry, Western Economic Association International, vol. 26(4), pages 585-608, October.
- Alberto Alesina & Eliana La Ferrara, .
"Participation in Heterogeneous Communities,"
151, IGIER (Innocenzo Gasparini Institute for Economic Research), Bocconi University.
- Andreoni, James, 1988. "Privately provided public goods in a large economy: The limits of altruism," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 35(1), pages 57-73, February.
- Hackett Steven & Schlager Edella & Walker James, 1994. "The Role of Communication in Resolving Commons Dilemmas: Experimental Evidence with Heterogeneous Appropriators," Journal of Environmental Economics and Management, Elsevier, vol. 27(2), pages 99-126, September.
- Dennis Epple & Holger Sieg, 1999. "Estimating Equilibrium Models of Local Jurisdictions," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 107(4), pages 645-681, August.
- Patrick Bolton & Gérard Roland, 1997. "The Breakup of Nations: A Political Economy Analysis," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 112(4), pages 1057-1090.
- Bergstrom, Theodore & Blume, Lawrence & Varian, Hal, 1986. "On the private provision of public goods," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 29(1), pages 25-49, February.
- repec:oup:restud:v:66:y:1999:i:3:p:659-77 is not listed on IDEAS
- Roland Benabou, 1993.
"Workings of a City: Location, Education, and Production,"
The Quarterly Journal of Economics,
Oxford University Press, vol. 108(3), pages 619-652.
- Roland Benabou, 1991. "Workings of a City: Location, Education, and Production," NBER Technical Working Papers 0113, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Bennett, Elaine & Wooders, Myrna, 1979. "Income distribution and firm formation," Journal of Comparative Economics, Elsevier, vol. 3(3), pages 304-317, September.
- Alberto Alesina & Eliana La Ferrara, 2000. "Participation in Heterogeneous Communities," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 115(3), pages 847-904.
- La Ferrara, Eliana & Alesina, Alberto, 2000. "Participation in Heterogeneous Communities," Scholarly Articles 4551796, Harvard University Department of Economics.
- Michael Kremer & Eric Maskin, 1996.
"Wage Inequality and Segregation by Skill,"
NBER Working Papers
5718, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Conley, John P. & Wooders, Myrna, 1996. "Taste-homogeneity of optimal jurisdictions in a Tiebout economy with crowding types and endogenous educational investment choices," Ricerche Economiche, Elsevier, vol. 50(4), pages 367-387, December.
- repec:oup:restud:v:63:y:1996:i:2:p:237-64 is not listed on IDEAS
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:pubeco:v:87:y:2003:i:5-6:p:931-955. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.