Information sharing and collaborative behaviors in enabling supply chain performance: A social exchange perspective
In modern business, competition is no longer between organizations, but among supply chains. Supply chain is complex in nature, involving various work flows across trading partners. Two major concerns arise in enabling supply chain performance, information sharing and collaborative effort. However, it is necessary to further identify the fundamentals for their implementation in terms of partners' exchange beliefs. Social exchange theory guides interactional behaviors for the expectation of a reward from partners. This study considers four key social exchange issues, trust, commitment, reciprocity, and power and to be antecedents of information sharing and collaboration. This study thus proposes a novel research model to examine the relationships among SET-based variables, information sharing and collaboration, and supply chain performance. Empirical findings show that SET-based issues are important to determine information sharing and collaboration and both information sharing and collaboration indicate partial mediation effect on supply chain performance.
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Zhang, Juliang & Chen, Jian, 2013. "Coordination of information sharing in a supply chain," International Journal of Production Economics, Elsevier, vol. 143(1), pages 178-187.
- Gunasekaran, A. & Ngai, E. W. T., 2004. "Information systems in supply chain integration and management," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 159(2), pages 269-295, December.
- Fynes, Brian & de Burca, Sean & Mangan, John, 2008. "The effect of relationship characteristics on relationship quality and performance," International Journal of Production Economics, Elsevier, vol. 111(1), pages 56-69, January.
- Narasimhan, Ram & Nair, Anand, 2005. "The antecedent role of quality, information sharing and supply chain proximity on strategic alliance formation and performance," International Journal of Production Economics, Elsevier, vol. 96(3), pages 301-313, June.
- Jeong, In-Jae & Jorge Leon, V., 2012. "A serial supply chain of newsvendor problem with safety stocks under complete and partial information sharing," International Journal of Production Economics, Elsevier, vol. 135(1), pages 412-419.
- Jarvis, Cheryl Burke & MacKenzie, Scott B & Podsakoff, Philip M, 2003. " A Critical Review of Construct Indicators and Measurement Model Misspecification in Marketing and Consumer Research," Journal of Consumer Research, Oxford University Press, vol. 30(2), pages 199-218, September.
- Patterson, Kirk A. & Grimm, Curtis M. & Corsi, Thomas M., 2003. "Adopting new technologies for supply chain management," Transportation Research Part E: Logistics and Transportation Review, Elsevier, vol. 39(2), pages 95-121, March.
- Sarv Devaraj & Rajiv Kohli, 2003. "Performance Impacts of Information Technology: Is Actual Usage the Missing Link?," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 49(3), pages 273-289, March.
- Sambasivan, Murali & Siew-Phaik, Loke & Abidin Mohamed, Zainal & Choy Leong, Yee, 2013. "Factors influencing strategic alliance outcomes in a manufacturing supply chain: Role of alliance motives, interdependence, asset specificity and relational capital," International Journal of Production Economics, Elsevier, vol. 141(1), pages 339-351.
- Vijayasarathy, Leo R., 2010. "Supply integration: An investigation of its multi-dimensionality and relational antecedents," International Journal of Production Economics, Elsevier, vol. 124(2), pages 489-505, April.
- Wagner, Stephan M. & Eggert, Andreas & Lindemann, Eckhard, 2010. "Creating and appropriating value in collaborative relationships," Journal of Business Research, Elsevier, vol. 63(8), pages 840-848, August.
- Hau L. Lee & Kut C. So & Christopher S. Tang, 2000. "The Value of Information Sharing in a Two-Level Supply Chain," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 46(5), pages 626-643, May.
- Humphreys, P. K. & Lai, M. K. & Sculli, D., 2001. "An inter-organizational information system for supply chain management," International Journal of Production Economics, Elsevier, vol. 70(3), pages 245-255, April.
- Vachon, Stephan & Klassen, Robert D., 2008. "Environmental management and manufacturing performance: The role of collaboration in the supply chain," International Journal of Production Economics, Elsevier, vol. 111(2), pages 299-315, February.
- Prajogo, Daniel & Olhager, Jan, 2012. "Supply chain integration and performance: The effects of long-term relationships, information technology and sharing, and logistics integration," International Journal of Production Economics, Elsevier, vol. 135(1), pages 514-522.
- Yang, Jie & Wang, Jinjun & Wong, Christina W.Y. & Lai, Kee-Hung, 2008. "Relational stability and alliance performance in supply chain," Omega, Elsevier, vol. 36(4), pages 600-608, August.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:proeco:v:148:y:2014:i:c:p:122-132. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.