Firm-level outsourcing decision making: A balanced scorecard-based analytic network process model
We combine the Analytic Network Process (ANP) and the Balanced Scorecard (BSC) to build a cohesive decision model for determining firm level IT outsourcing strategy. Although prior research has confirmed the existence of interactions among BSC indicators and the potential impact of those interactions on firm level performance, interactions have hitherto not been fully understood and implemented, due to lack of adequate tools. In this paper, we take advantage of the strength of the ANP technique to address the interaction issues between indicators when applying the BSC. The ANP establishes the interactions among the indicators, prioritizes the indicators under the four BSC perspectives, and then identifies the best outsourcing strategy through synthesis. A case company is used to study the feasibility of our approach at firm level outsourcing decision making. Finally, we examine the robustness of the model through sensitivity analysis, and demonstrate the importance of incorporating indicator interactions when operationalizing BSC. Managerial insights and implications derived through model analysis are discussed.
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Bengt Holmstrom, 1979.
"Moral Hazard and Observability,"
Bell Journal of Economics,
The RAND Corporation, vol. 10(1), pages 74-91, Spring.
- Oliver Hart & Sanford Grossman, 1985.
"The Costs and Benefits of Ownership: A Theory of Vertical and Lateral Integration,"
372, Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), Department of Economics.
- Grossman, Sanford J & Hart, Oliver D, 1986. "The Costs and Benefits of Ownership: A Theory of Vertical and Lateral Integration," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 94(4), pages 691-719, August.
- Grossman, Sanford J. & Hart, Oliver D., 1986. "The Costs and Benefits of Ownership: A Theory of Vertical and Lateral Integration," Scholarly Articles 3450060, Harvard University Department of Economics.
- Grossman, Sanford J & Hart, Oliver, 1985. "The Cost and Benefits of Ownership: A Theory of Vertical and Lateral Integration," CEPR Discussion Papers 70, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Tjader, Youxu Cai & Shang, Jennifer S. & Vargas, Luis G., 2010. "Offshore outsourcing decision making: A policy-maker's perspective," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 207(1), pages 434-444, November.
- Bahli, Bouchaib & Rivard, Suzanne, 2005. "Validating measures of information technology outsourcing risk factors," Omega, Elsevier, vol. 33(2), pages 175-187, April.
- Osei-Bryson, Kweku-Muata & Ngwenyama, Ojelanki K., 2006. "Managing risks in information systems outsourcing: An approach to analyzing outsourcing risks and structuring incentive contracts," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 174(1), pages 245-264, October.
- Meade, Laura & Sarkis, Joseph, 1998. "Strategic analysis of logistics and supply chain management systems using the analytical network process," Transportation Research Part E: Logistics and Transportation Review, Elsevier, vol. 34(3), pages 201-215, September.
- Lyons, Bruce R., 1995. "Specific investment, economies of scale, and the make-or-buy decision: A test of transaction cost theory," Journal of Economic Behavior & Organization, Elsevier, vol. 26(3), pages 431-443, May.
- Loebbecke, Claudia & Huyskens, Claudio, 2009. "Development of a model-based netsourcing decision support system using a five-stage methodology," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 195(3), pages 653-661, June.
- Raghuram G. Rajan & Luigi Zingales, 1997.
"Power in a Theory of the Firm,"
NBER Working Papers
6274, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Raghuram G. Rajan & Luigi Zingales, . "Power in a Theory of the Firm," CRSP working papers 335, Center for Research in Security Prices, Graduate School of Business, University of Chicago.
- Rajan, Raghuram G & Zingales, Luigi, 1998. "Power in a Theory of the Firm," CEPR Discussion Papers 1777, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Alchian, Armen A. & Demsetz, Harold, 1973. "The Property Right Paradigm," The Journal of Economic History, Cambridge University Press, vol. 33(01), pages 16-27, March.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:proeco:v:147:y:2014:i:pc:p:614-623. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.