Numerical investigation on mixed bundling and pricing of information products
The bundling sale of information products has been a prevalent strategy in information industries. This paper attempts to study two issues that have not been adequately addressed in previous researches. First, we define the measure of customer heterogeneity by considering both the statistic characteristics of customer reservation price and the marginal cost of information products. Numerical computation indicates that the maximal profit of three bundling strategies (individual sale, pure bundling, and mixed bundling) drops monotonically with the increasing of heterogeneity among customers, and that mixed bundling is more profitable than schemes of either the pure bundling or individual sale when non-negligible heterogeneity exists among customers. Second, we present the mixed partial bundling scheme for real-world situations in which a large number of information products are offered and the preferences or valuations of customers considerably vary. We build a bilevel programming model to define the behaviors of the monopolist and customers, and develop a heuristic algorithm to construct optimal mixed partial bundling schemes. Numerical experiments verify that the mixed partial bundling engenders less substantial deadweight loss and extracts more surplus from heterogeneous customers, which illustrates that the mixed partial bundling strategy is a more flexible and efficient way to accommodate multiple segments of customers.
Volume (Year): 144 (2013)
Issue (Month): 2 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/locate/ijpe|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Ward Hanson & R. Kipp Martin, 1990. "Optimal Bundle Pricing," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 36(2), pages 155-174, February.
- Crawford, Gregory S. & Cullen, Joseph, 2007. "Bundling, product choice, and efficiency: Should cable television networks be offered a la carte?," Information Economics and Policy, Elsevier, vol. 19(3-4), pages 379-404, October.
- Schmalensee, Richard, 1984. "Gaussian Demand and Commodity Bundling," The Journal of Business, University of Chicago Press, vol. 57(1), pages 211-230, January.
- Shin-yi Wu & Lorin M. Hitt & Pei-yu Chen & G. Anandalingam, 2008. "Customized Bundle Pricing for Information Goods: A Nonlinear Mixed-Integer Programming Approach," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 54(3), pages 608-622, March.
- Sheikhzadeh, Mehdi & Elahi, Ehsan, 2013. "Product bundling: Impacts of product heterogeneity and risk considerations," International Journal of Production Economics, Elsevier, vol. 144(1), pages 209-222.
- Chuang, John Chung-I & Sirbu, Marvin A., 1999. "Optimal bundling strategy for digital information goods: network delivery of articles and subscriptions," Information Economics and Policy, Elsevier, vol. 11(2), pages 147-176, July.
- Salinger, Michael A, 1995. "A Graphical Analysis of Bundling," The Journal of Business, University of Chicago Press, vol. 68(1), pages 85-98, January.
- Lorin M. Hitt & Pei-yu Chen, 2005. "Bundling with Customer Self-Selection: A Simple Approach to Bundling Low-Marginal-Cost Goods," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 51(10), pages 1481-1493, October.
- Ferreira, Kevin D. & Wu, Desheng Dash, 2011. "An integrated product planning model for pricing and bundle selection using Markov decision processes and data envelope analysis," International Journal of Production Economics, Elsevier, vol. 134(1), pages 95-107, November.
- Yannis Bakos & Erik Brynjolfsson, 1999.
"Bundling Information Goods: Pricing, Profits, and Efficiency,"
INFORMS, vol. 45(12), pages 1613-1630, December.
- Yannis Bakos & Erik Brynjolfsson, 1997. "Bundling Information Goods: Pricing, Profits and Efficiency," Working Paper Series 199, MIT Center for Coordination Science.
- Fogliatto, Flavio S. & da Silveira, Giovani J.C. & Borenstein, Denis, 2012. "The mass customization decade: An updated review of the literature," International Journal of Production Economics, Elsevier, vol. 138(1), pages 14-25.
- R. Venkatesh & Wagner Kamakura, 2003. "Optimal Bundling and Pricing under a Monopoly: Contrasting Complements and Substitutes from Independently Valued Products," The Journal of Business, University of Chicago Press, vol. 76(2), pages 211-232, April.
- R. Preston McAfee & John McMillan & Michael D. Whinston, 1989. "Multiproduct Monopoly, Commodity Bundling, and Correlation of Values," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 104(2), pages 371-383.
- Hajji, Adnéne & Pellerin, Robert & Léger, Pierre-Majorique & Gharbi, Ali & Babin, Gilbert, 2012. "Dynamic pricing models for ERP systems under network externality," International Journal of Production Economics, Elsevier, vol. 135(2), pages 708-715.
- Kamel Jedidi & Sharan Jagpal & Puneet Manchanda, 2003. "Measuring Heterogeneous Reservation Prices for Product Bundles," Marketing Science, INFORMS, vol. 22(1), pages 107-130, July.
- Sanjay Jain & P. K. Kannan, 2002. "Pricing of Information Products on Online Servers: Issues, Models, and Analysis," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 48(9), pages 1123-1142, September.
- Ferrer, Juan-Carlos & Mora, Hugo & Olivares, Francisco, 2010. "On pricing of multiple bundles of products and services," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 206(1), pages 197-208, October.
- Xianjun Geng & Maxwell B. Stinchcombe & Andrew B. Whinston, 2005. "Bundling Information Goods of Decreasing Value," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 51(4), pages 662-667, April.
- Gürlera, Ülkü & Öztop, Salih & Sen, Alper, 2009. "Optimal bundle formation and pricing of two products with limited stock," International Journal of Production Economics, Elsevier, vol. 118(2), pages 442-462, April.
- William James Adams & Janet L. Yellen, 1976. "Commodity Bundling and the Burden of Monopoly," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 90(3), pages 475-498.
- Yannis Bakos & Erik Brynjolfsson, 2000. "Bundling and Competition on the Internet," Marketing Science, INFORMS, vol. 19(1), pages 63-82, May.
- McCardle, Kevin F. & Rajaram, Kumar & Tang, Christopher S., 2007. "Bundling retail products: Models and analysis," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 177(2), pages 1197-1217, March. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:proeco:v:144:y:2013:i:2:p:560-571. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Dana Niculescu)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.