An integrated product planning model for pricing and bundle selection using Markov decision processes and data envelope analysis
When bundling products during the product planning stage, there are a number of possible combinations that can be offered to customers. Consider a firm that offers N distinctive products, then there are 2N-(N+1) possible bundling combinations. Now, if we wish to make pricing and bundle selection decisions, keeping in my mind limited inventory and a finite time horizon, then the size of the state space could be very large and finding an optimal solution could be impossible. To tackle this issue, we formulate an integrated model that utilizes a Markov decision process and data envelope analysis. Bundle selections are made using data envelope analysis in each decision epoch. Once the efficient bundles are selected they are priced by solving a Markov decision process using dynamic programming. Numerical examples are solved to exhibit the model's potential in solving real-world problems.
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Varda Liberman & Uri Yechiali, 1978. "On the Hotel Overbooking Problem--An Inventory System with Stochastic Cancellations," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 24(11), pages 1117-1126, July.
- Charnes, A. & Cooper, W. W. & Rhodes, E., 1978. "Measuring the efficiency of decision making units," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 2(6), pages 429-444, November.
- Desheng Wu & Liang Liang & Zhimin Huang & Susan X. Li, 2005. "Aggregated Ratio Analysis In Dea," International Journal of Information Technology & Decision Making (IJITDM), World Scientific Publishing Co. Pte. Ltd., vol. 4(03), pages 369-384.
- Ward Hanson & R. Kipp Martin, 1990. "Optimal Bundle Pricing," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 36(2), pages 155-174, February.
- Youyi Feng & Baichun Xiao, 2000. "A Continuous-Time Yield Management Model with Multiple Prices and Reversible Price Changes," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 46(5), pages 644-657, May.
- Erik Lehmann, 2003. "Pricing Behavior on the WEB: Evidence from Online Travel Agencies," Empirica, Springer, vol. 30(4), pages 379-396, December.
- McCardle, Kevin F. & Rajaram, Kumar & Tang, Christopher S., 2007. "Bundling retail products: Models and analysis," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 177(2), pages 1197-1217, March.
- Kalyan Talluri & Garrett van Ryzin, 2004. "Revenue Management Under a General Discrete Choice Model of Consumer Behavior," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 50(1), pages 15-33, January.
- Harlam, Bari A. & Krishna, Aradhna & Lehmann, Donald R. & Mela, Carl, 1995. "Impact of bundle type, price framing and familiarity on purchase intention for the bundle," Journal of Business Research, Elsevier, vol. 33(1), pages 57-66, May.
- Wen Zhao & Yu-Sheng Zheng, 2000. "Optimal Dynamic Pricing for Perishable Assets with Nonhomogeneous Demand," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 46(3), pages 375-388, March.
- Guillermo Gallego & Garrett van Ryzin, 1994. "Optimal Dynamic Pricing of Inventories with Stochastic Demand over Finite Horizons," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 40(8), pages 999-1020, August.
- Yoram Kinberg & Ephraim F Sudit, 1979. "Country/Service Bundling in International Tourism: Criteria for the Selection of an Efficient Bundle Mix and Allocation of Joint Revenues," Journal of International Business Studies, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 10(2), pages 51-62, June.
- Kaicker, Ajit & Bearden, William O. & Manning, Kenneth C., 1995. "Component versus bundle pricing : The role of selling price deviations from price expectations," Journal of Business Research, Elsevier, vol. 33(3), pages 231-239, July.
- Wu, Desheng Dash, 2009. "Performance evaluation: An integrated method using data envelopment analysis and fuzzy preference relations," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 194(1), pages 227-235, April.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:proeco:v:134:y:2011:i:1:p:95-107. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.