The effect of individual, network, and collaborative competencies on the supply chain management system
The role of human capital as a source of competitive advantage has long been recognized; however, there has been little research into the competencies required in the supply chain management system. This paper strengthens the ties between supply chain and human resource management by examining the competencies inherent in successful supply chain management systems. Using structural equation modeling we assess the linkages between individual, network and inter-organizational competencies, investment in strategic partnership and firm performance. The findings reveal that both organizational awareness (competency at the individual level) and supply network competency (competency at the organizational level) have significant and positive effects on collaborative awareness. The importance of inter-organizational competencies is supported by the significant positive effect that collaborative awareness has on investment in strategic planning. Implications for human resource managers and supply chain managers are also provided.
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Prajogo, Daniel & Olhager, Jan, 2012. "Supply chain integration and performance: The effects of long-term relationships, information technology and sharing, and logistics integration," International Journal of Production Economics, Elsevier, vol. 135(1), pages 514-522.
- Ding, Huiping & Guo, Baochun & Liu, Zhishuo, 2011. "Information sharing and profit allotment based on supply chain cooperation," International Journal of Production Economics, Elsevier, vol. 133(1), pages 70-79, September.
- Lettice, Fiona & Wyatt, Clare & Evans, Stephen, 2010. "Buyer-supplier partnerships during product design and development in the global automotive sector: Who invests, in what and when?," International Journal of Production Economics, Elsevier, vol. 127(2), pages 309-319, October.
- Gunasekaran, A., 1999. "Agile manufacturing: A framework for research and development," International Journal of Production Economics, Elsevier, vol. 62(1-2), pages 87-105, May.
- Bruce Kogut & Udo Zander, 1993. "Knowledge of the Firm and the Evolutionary Theory of the Multinational Corporation," Journal of International Business Studies, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 24(4), pages 625-645, December.
- Lee, Khai S & Lim, Guan H & Tan, Soo J, 1999. " Dealing with Resource Disadvantage: Generic Strategies for SMEs," Small Business Economics, Springer, vol. 12(4), pages 299-311, June.
- Lai, Kee-hung & Ngai, E. W. T. & Cheng, T. C. E., 2002. "Measures for evaluating supply chain performance in transport logistics," Transportation Research Part E: Logistics and Transportation Review, Elsevier, vol. 38(6), pages 439-456, November.
- Humphreys, P. K. & Li, W. L. & Chan, L. Y., 2004. "The impact of supplier development on buyer-supplier performance," Omega, Elsevier, vol. 32(2), pages 131-143, April.
- Vachon, Stephan & Klassen, Robert D., 2008. "Environmental management and manufacturing performance: The role of collaboration in the supply chain," International Journal of Production Economics, Elsevier, vol. 111(2), pages 299-315, February.
- Li, Suhong & Ragu-Nathan, Bhanu & Ragu-Nathan, T.S. & Subba Rao, S., 2006. "The impact of supply chain management practices on competitive advantage and organizational performance," Omega, Elsevier, vol. 34(2), pages 107-124, April.
- John Boudreau & Wallace Hopp & John O. McClain & L. Joseph Thomas, 2003. "On the Interface Between Operations and Human Resources Management," Manufacturing & Service Operations Management, INFORMS, vol. 5(3), pages 179-202, September.
- Chow, Wing S. & Madu, Christian N. & Kuei, Chu-Hua & Lu, Min H. & Lin, Chinho & Tseng, Hojung, 2008. "Supply chain management in the US and Taiwan: An empirical study," Omega, Elsevier, vol. 36(5), pages 665-679, October.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:proeco:v:140:y:2012:i:2:p:888-899. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.