Cross-tier ripple and indirect effects of directives WEEE and RoHS on greening a supply chain
Environmental issues have tremendous impact on the development and operations of a supply chain. However, green supply chain management is an emerging research area, thus there are limited conceptual models on this important subject, particularly models that considers the effect of environmental directives on greening a supply chain. Considering the significance of this on the performance of a supply chain, this research develops a conceptual model outlining the antecedents for a successful embeddedness of environmental directives – Waste Electrical and Electronic Equipment (WEEE) and Restriction of the use of certain Hazardous Substances (RoHS) – on greening a supply chain. The conceptual model is theorized from systems thinking and systems theory; and grounded from an extensive current literature. It is validated using in-depth multiple cases of a supply chain of the Taiwan IT industry. Results show a close map on how the supply chain embeds directives WEEE and RoHS considering the antecedents in the conceptual model and the degree of its impact on the supply chain. It has emerged that directives WEEE and RoHS have the dynamics of a cross-tier ripple and indirect effects on the Taiwan IT industry's supply chain. This emerging theory explains why collaboration with supply chain partners is the key antecedent on greening a supply chain in order to gain co-benefits. The cross-tier ripple and indirect effects theorized from this study and the refined model provide a theoretical framework for further testing in this emerging research area.
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Yang, Ma Ga (Mark) & Hong, Paul & Modi, Sachin B., 2011. "Impact of lean manufacturing and environmental management on business performance: An empirical study of manufacturing firms," International Journal of Production Economics, Elsevier, vol. 129(2), pages 251-261, February.
- Koh, S.C. Lenny & Saad, Sameh M., 2006. "Managing uncertainty in ERP-controlled manufacturing environments in SMEs," International Journal of Production Economics, Elsevier, vol. 101(1), pages 109-127, May.
- Geldermann, Jutta & Bertsch, Valentin & Treitz, Martin & French, Simon & Papamichail, Konstantinia N. & Hämäläinen, Raimo P., 2009. "Multi-criteria decision support and evaluation of strategies for nuclear remediation management," Omega, Elsevier, vol. 37(1), pages 238-251, February.
- Kwak, Jin Kyung & Gavirneni, Srinagesh, 2011. "Retailer policy, uncertainty reduction, and supply chain performance," International Journal of Production Economics, Elsevier, vol. 132(2), pages 271-278, August.
- Prahinski, Carol & Kocabasoglu, Canan, 2006. "Empirical research opportunities in reverse supply chains," Omega, Elsevier, vol. 34(6), pages 519-532, December.
- Zhu, Qinghua & Sarkis, Joseph & Cordeiro, James J. & Lai, Kee-Hung, 2008. "Firm-level correlates of emergent green supply chain management practices in the Chinese context," Omega, Elsevier, vol. 36(4), pages 577-591, August.
- Chung, Chun-Jen & Wee, Hui-Ming, 2011. "Short life-cycle deteriorating product remanufacturing in a green supply chain inventory control system," International Journal of Production Economics, Elsevier, vol. 129(1), pages 195-203, January.
- Ketikidis, P.H. & Koh, S.C.L. & Dimitriadis, N. & Gunasekaran, A. & Kehajova, M., 2008. "The use of information systems for logistics and supply chain management in South East Europe: Current status and future direction," Omega, Elsevier, vol. 36(4), pages 592-599, August.
- Hua, Guowei & Cheng, T.C.E. & Wang, Shouyang, 2011. "Managing carbon footprints in inventory management," International Journal of Production Economics, Elsevier, vol. 132(2), pages 178-185, August.
- Sundarakani, Balan & de Souza, Robert & Goh, Mark & Wagner, Stephan M. & Manikandan, Sushmera, 2010. "Modeling carbon footprints across the supply chain," International Journal of Production Economics, Elsevier, vol. 128(1), pages 43-50, November.
- Gunasekaran, Angappa & Lai, Kee-hung & Edwin Cheng, T.C., 2008. "Responsive supply chain: A competitive strategy in a networked economy," Omega, Elsevier, vol. 36(4), pages 549-564, August.
- Srivastava, Samir K., 2008. "Network design for reverse logistics," Omega, Elsevier, vol. 36(4), pages 535-548, August.
- Sarkis, Joseph & Zhu, Qinghua & Lai, Kee-hung, 2011. "An organizational theoretic review of green supply chain management literature," International Journal of Production Economics, Elsevier, vol. 130(1), pages 1-15, March.
- Francas, David & Minner, Stefan, 2009. "Manufacturing network configuration in supply chains with product recovery," Omega, Elsevier, vol. 37(4), pages 757-769, August.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:proeco:v:140:y:2012:i:1:p:305-317. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.