Negative default dependence in supplier networks
The financial defaults of suppliers in a supplier network are significant risks and causes of uncertainty for buying firms. Hitherto, it has been largely neglected that default probabilities of suppliers in supplier networks are not independent of each other. We aim to overcome this shortcoming by studying negative supplier default dependencies: situations where a surviving supplier may benefit from the default of another supplier, resulting in a lower default probability. We use empirical data from the automotive supplier industry and copula functions, a method of representing joint distribution functions with particular marginals, to capture the default dependency between automotive suppliers and simulate various scenarios with negative default dependency. We also conduct a comparative static analysis illustrating the significant impact of negative default dependence. Our findings should spur managers to analyze their supplier networks with respect to default dependencies, and to take this phenomenon into consideration when making sourcing decisions.
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Jarrow, Robert A & Turnbull, Stuart M, 1995. " Pricing Derivatives on Financial Securities Subject to Credit Risk," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 50(1), pages 53-85, March.
- Houweling, P. & Vorst, A.C.F., 2003.
"Pricing default swaps: empirical evidence,"
Econometric Institute Research Papers
EI 2003-51, Erasmus University Rotterdam, Erasmus School of Economics (ESE), Econometric Institute.
- Robert Swinney & Serguei Netessine, 2009. "Long-Term Contracts Under the Threat of Supplier Default," Manufacturing & Service Operations Management, INFORMS, vol. 11(1), pages 109-127, September.
- Zhou, Chunsheng, 2001. "An Analysis of Default Correlations and Multiple Defaults," Review of Financial Studies, Society for Financial Studies, vol. 14(2), pages 555-76.
- repec:sae:ecolab:v:16:y:2006:i:2:p:1-2 is not listed on IDEAS
- Houweling, P. & Hoek, J. & Kleibergen, F.R., 1999.
"The Joint Estimation of Term Structures and Credit Spreads,"
Econometric Institute Research Papers
EI 9916-/A, Erasmus University Rotterdam, Erasmus School of Economics (ESE), Econometric Institute.
- Houweling, Patrick & Hoek, Jaap & Kleibergen, Frank, 2001. "The joint estimation of term structures and credit spreads," Journal of Empirical Finance, Elsevier, vol. 8(3), pages 297-323, July.
- Lars E. O. Svensson, 1994.
"Estimating and Interpreting Forward Interest Rates; Sweden 1992-1994,"
IMF Working Papers
94/114, International Monetary Fund.
- Lars E.O. Svensson, 1994. "Estimating and Interpreting Forward Interest Rates: Sweden 1992 - 1994," NBER Working Papers 4871, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Svensson, L.E.O., 1994. "Estimating and Interpreting Foreward Interest Rates: Sweden 1992-1994," Papers 579, Stockholm - International Economic Studies.
- Brian Tomlin, 2006. "On the Value of Mitigation and Contingency Strategies for Managing Supply Chain Disruption Risks," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 52(5), pages 639-657, May.
- Young Ho Eom, 2004. "Structural Models of Corporate Bond Pricing: An Empirical Analysis," Review of Financial Studies, Society for Financial Studies, vol. 17(2), pages 499-544.
- Vaagen, Hajnalka & Wallace, Stein W., 2008. "Product variety arising from hedging in the fashion supply chains," International Journal of Production Economics, Elsevier, vol. 114(2), pages 431-455, August.
- Ian Cooper & Marcel Martin, 1996. "Default risk and derivative products," Applied Mathematical Finance, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 3(1), pages 53-70.
- Sanjiv Das & Darrell Duffie & Nikunj Kapadia & Leandro Saita, 2006.
"Common Failings: How Corporate Defaults are Correlated,"
NBER Working Papers
11961, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Sanjiv R. Das & Darrell Duffie & Nikunj Kapadia & Leandro Saita, 2007. "Common Failings: How Corporate Defaults Are Correlated," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 62(1), pages 93-117, 02.
- Jorion, Philippe & Zhang, Gaiyan, 2007. "Good and bad credit contagion: Evidence from credit default swaps," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 84(3), pages 860-883, June.
- Svensson, Lars E O, 1994. "Estimating and Interpreting Forward Interest Rates: Sweden 1992-4," CEPR Discussion Papers 1051, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Arnt-Gunnar Lium & Teodor Gabriel Crainic & Stein W. Wallace, 2007. "Correlations In Stochastic Programming: A Case From Stochastic Service Network Design," Asia-Pacific Journal of Operational Research (APJOR), World Scientific Publishing Co. Pte. Ltd., vol. 24(02), pages 161-179.
- Volodymyr Babich & Apostolos N. Burnetas & Peter H. Ritchken, 2007. "Competition and Diversification Effects in Supply Chains with Supplier Default Risk," Manufacturing & Service Operations Management, INFORMS, vol. 9(2), pages 123-146, October.
- Arindam Bandyopadhyay & Tasneem Chherawala & Asish Saha, 2007. "Calibrating asset correlation for Indian corporate exposures: Implications for regulatory capital," Journal of Risk Finance, Emerald Group Publishing, vol. 8(4), pages 330-348, August.
- Paul Embrechts, 2009. "Copulas: A Personal View," Journal of Risk & Insurance, The American Risk and Insurance Association, vol. 76(3), pages 639-650.
- Ruiz-Torres, Alex J. & Mahmoodi, Farzad, 2007. "The optimal number of suppliers considering the costs of individual supplier failures," Omega, Elsevier, vol. 35(1), pages 104-115, February.
- Berger, Paul D. & Gerstenfeld, Arthur & Zeng, Amy Z., 2004. "How many suppliers are best? A decision-analysis approach," Omega, Elsevier, vol. 32(1), pages 9-15, February.
- Giesecke, Kay, 2004. "Correlated default with incomplete information," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 28(7), pages 1521-1545, July.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:proeco:v:134:y:2011:i:2:p:398-406. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.