Supply chain flexibility as a determinant of supplier selection
This paper examines how buying organisations can configure their supply networks to achieve supply chain flexibility. Supply chain flexibility can be rationalised by considering two key antecedents of flexibility, sourcing and vendor flexibility. Network co-ordinators can group their suppliers under three categories, framework agreement suppliers, preferred suppliers and approved suppliers, each with different flexibility implications. It is possible to maintain a suitable level of supply chain flexibility by maintaining a pool of suppliers in each category. Case studies from the construction sector are used to explore supply chain flexibility, which include a house building contractor from the UK and six of its suppliers.
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Mike Bresnen & Nick Marshall, 2000. "Building partnerships: case studies of client-contractor collaboration in the UK construction industry," Construction Management and Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 18(7), pages 819-832.
- Barad, M. & Even Sapir, D., 2003. "Flexibility in logistic systems--modeling and performance evaluation," International Journal of Production Economics, Elsevier, vol. 85(2), pages 155-170, August.
- Berry, D & Evans, GN & Naim, MM, 1998. "Pipeline Information Survey: a UK Perspective," Omega, Elsevier, vol. 26(1), pages 115-131, February.
- Donald Gerwin, 1993. "Manufacturing Flexibility: A Strategic Perspective," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 39(4), pages 395-410, April.
- Das, Sanchoy K. & Abdel-Malek, Layek, 2003. "Modeling the flexibility of order quantities and lead-times in supply chains," International Journal of Production Economics, Elsevier, vol. 85(2), pages 171-181, August.
- Chung, Walter W. C. & Yam, Anthony Y. K. & Chan, Michael F. S., 2004. "Networked enterprise: A new business model for global sourcing," International Journal of Production Economics, Elsevier, vol. 87(3), pages 267-280, February.
- Swafford, Patricia M. & Ghosh, Soumen & Murthy, Nagesh, 2008. "Achieving supply chain agility through IT integration and flexibility," International Journal of Production Economics, Elsevier, vol. 116(2), pages 288-297, December.
- Morlok, Edward K. & Chang, David J., 2004. "Measuring capacity flexibility of a transportation system," Transportation Research Part A: Policy and Practice, Elsevier, vol. 38(6), pages 405-420, July.
- Yusuf, Y. Y. & Sarhadi, M. & Gunasekaran, A., 1999. "Agile manufacturing:: The drivers, concepts and attributes," International Journal of Production Economics, Elsevier, vol. 62(1-2), pages 33-43, May.
- Gunasekaran, A., 1999. "Agile manufacturing: A framework for research and development," International Journal of Production Economics, Elsevier, vol. 62(1-2), pages 87-105, May.
- Graham Winch & Brid Carr, 2001. "Processes, maps and protocols: Understanding the shape of the construction process," Construction Management and Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 19(5), pages 519-531.
- Ben Naylor, J. & Naim, Mohamed M & Berry, Danny, 1999. "Leagility: Integrating the lean and agile manufacturing paradigms in the total supply chain," International Journal of Production Economics, Elsevier, vol. 62(1-2), pages 107-118, May.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:proeco:v:128:y:2010:i:1:p:11-21. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.