Supply flexibility strategies in Spanish firms: Results from a survey
This paper focuses on supply flexibility, i.e., the ability of the purchasing function to respond in a timely and cost effective manner to the changing requirements of purchased components in terms of volume, mix and delivery date. Although sourcing strategies have been extensively analysed, the study of supply flexibility is in its infancy. The aim of this paper is to analyse how different sourcing practices are combined to form particular supply flexibility strategies. To do this, a survey among Spanish purchasing professionals was conducted. Three supply flexibility strategies ("integrated", "domestic" and "offshore") were identified and their relationship with contingent factors was investigated. The results show that Spanish firms have no single approach to achieve supply flexibility and that the type of flexibility achieved (supplier responsiveness, delivery policy and adaptability) depends on the strategy followed.
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Chung, Walter W. C. & Yam, Anthony Y. K. & Chan, Michael F. S., 2004. "Networked enterprise: A new business model for global sourcing," International Journal of Production Economics, Elsevier, vol. 87(3), pages 267-280, February.
- van der Vaart, Taco & van Donk, Dirk Pieter, 2004. "Buyer focus: Evaluation of a new concept for supply chain integration," International Journal of Production Economics, Elsevier, vol. 92(1), pages 21-30, November.
- Tang, Christopher S., 2006. "Perspectives in supply chain risk management," International Journal of Production Economics, Elsevier, vol. 103(2), pages 451-488, October.
- Cristina Giménez & Eva Ventura, 2003. "Logistics-production, logistics-marketing and external integration: Their impact on performance," Economics Working Papers 657, Department of Economics and Business, Universitat Pompeu Fabra.
- Donald Gerwin, 1993. "Manufacturing Flexibility: A Strategic Perspective," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 39(4), pages 395-410, April.
- Gary D. Eppen & Ananth. V. Iyer, 1997. "Backup Agreements in Fashion Buying---The Value of Upstream Flexibility," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 43(11), pages 1469-1484, November.
- Tang, Christopher & Tomlin, Brian, 2008. "The power of flexibility for mitigating supply chain risks," International Journal of Production Economics, Elsevier, vol. 116(1), pages 12-27, November.
- Das, Sanchoy K. & Abdel-Malek, Layek, 2003. "Modeling the flexibility of order quantities and lead-times in supply chains," International Journal of Production Economics, Elsevier, vol. 85(2), pages 171-181, August.
- Jeffrey G. Miller & Aleda V. Roth, 1994. "A Taxonomy of Manufacturing Strategies," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 40(3), pages 285-304, March.
- Minner, Stefan, 2003. "Multiple-supplier inventory models in supply chain management: A review," International Journal of Production Economics, Elsevier, vol. 81(1), pages 265-279, January.
- Paul M. Swamidass & William T. Newell, 1987. "Manufacturing Strategy, Environmental Uncertainty and Performance: A Path Analytic Model," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 33(4), pages 509-524, April.
- Braunsberger, Karin & Wybenga, Hans & Gates, Roger, 2007. "A comparison of reliability between telephone and web-based surveys," Journal of Business Research, Elsevier, vol. 60(7), pages 758-764, July.
- Glenn Milligan & Martha Cooper, 1985. "An examination of procedures for determining the number of clusters in a data set," Psychometrika, Springer, vol. 50(2), pages 159-179, June.
- Virolainen, Veli-Matti, 1998. "A survey of procurement strategy development in industrial companies," International Journal of Production Economics, Elsevier, vol. 56(1), pages 677-688, September.
- Gérard P. Cachon & Martin A. Lariviere, 2001. "Contracting to Assure Supply: How to Share Demand Forecasts in a Supply Chain," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 47(5), pages 629-646, May.
- Stratton, R. & Warburton, R. D. H., 2003. "The strategic integration of agile and lean supply," International Journal of Production Economics, Elsevier, vol. 85(2), pages 183-198, August.
- Wagner, Stephan M. & Friedl, Gunther, 2007. "Supplier switching decisions," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 183(2), pages 700-717, December.
- Gunasekaran, Angappa & Lai, Kee-hung & Edwin Cheng, T.C., 2008. "Responsive supply chain: A competitive strategy in a networked economy," Omega, Elsevier, vol. 36(4), pages 549-564, August.
- M. Bensaou & N. Venkatraman, 1995. "Configurations of Interorganizational Relationships: A Comparison Between U.S. and Japanese Automakers," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 41(9), pages 1471-1492, September.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:proeco:v:124:y:2010:i:1:p:214-224. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.