Achieving supply chain agility through IT integration and flexibility
Being responsive is an increasingly important skill for firms in today's global economy; thus firms must be agile. Naturally, it follows that an organization's agility depends on its supply chain being agile. However, achieving supply chain agility is a function of other abilities within the organization, specifically supply chain flexibility and information technology (IT) integration. Using empirical data, we find a domino effect among IT integration, supply chain flexibility, supply chain agility, and competitive business performance. Results from this study indicate that IT integration enables a firm to tap its supply chain flexibility which in turn results in higher supply chain agility and ultimately higher competitive business performance. While these results indicate that firms should invest first in IT for integrating information before investing in flexible processes, additional research is needed.
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Mason-Jones, Rachel & Towill, Denis R., 1999. "Total cycle time compression and the agile supply chain," International Journal of Production Economics, Elsevier, vol. 62(1-2), pages 61-73, May.
- Kannan Srinivasan & Sundar Kekre & Tridas Mukhopadhyay, 1994. "Impact of Electronic Data Interchange Technology on JIT Shipments," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 40(10), pages 1291-1304, October.
- Katayama, Hiroshi & Bennett, David, 1999. "Agility, adaptability and leanness: A comparison of concepts and a study of practice," International Journal of Production Economics, Elsevier, vol. 60(1), pages 43-51, April.
- Sharifi, H. & Zhang, Z., 1999. "A methodology for achieving agility in manufacturing organisations: An introduction," International Journal of Production Economics, Elsevier, vol. 62(1-2), pages 7-22, May.
- Da Silveira, Giovani & Borenstein, Denis & Fogliatto, Flavio S., 2001. "Mass customization: Literature review and research directions," International Journal of Production Economics, Elsevier, vol. 72(1), pages 1-13, June.
- Donald Gerwin, 1993. "Manufacturing Flexibility: A Strategic Perspective," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 39(4), pages 395-410, April.
- Al-Mudimigh, Abdullah S. & Zairi, Mohamed & Ahmed, Abdel Moneim M., 2004. "Extending the concept of supply chain:: The effective management of value chains," International Journal of Production Economics, Elsevier, vol. 87(3), pages 309-320, February.
- Llorens, F. Javier & Molina, Luis M. & Verdu, Antonio J., 2005. "Flexibility of manufacturing systems, strategic change and performance," International Journal of Production Economics, Elsevier, vol. 98(3), pages 273-289, December.
- Agarwal, Ashish & Shankar, Ravi & Tiwari, M.K., 2006. "Modeling the metrics of lean, agile and leagile supply chain: An ANP-based approach," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 173(1), pages 211-225, August.
- Yusuf, Y. Y. & Sarhadi, M. & Gunasekaran, A., 1999. "Agile manufacturing:: The drivers, concepts and attributes," International Journal of Production Economics, Elsevier, vol. 62(1-2), pages 33-43, May.
- Anandhi S. Bharadwaj & Sundar G. Bharadwaj & Benn R. Konsynski, 1999. "Information Technology Effects on Firm Performance as Measured by Tobin's q," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 45(7), pages 1008-1024, July.
- Sharon Novak & Steven D. Eppinger, 2001. "Sourcing By Design: Product Complexity and the Supply Chain," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 47(1), pages 189-204, January.
- Lin, Ching-Torng & Chiu, Hero & Chu, Po-Young, 2006. "Agility index in the supply chain," International Journal of Production Economics, Elsevier, vol. 100(2), pages 285-299, April.
- Gupta, Yash P. & Somers, Toni M., 1992. "The measurement of manufacturing flexibility," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 60(2), pages 166-182, July.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:proeco:v:116:y:2008:i:2:p:288-297. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.