An evaluation of European airlines' operational performance
This paper uses data envelopment analysis (DEA) to evaluate the operational performance of a sample of AEA--Association of European Airlines from 2000 to 2005, combining operational and financial variables. In this paper an innovative DEA two-stage procedure proposed by Simar and Wilson [2007. Estimation and inference in two stage, semi-parametric models of productive efficiency. Journal of Econometrics 136, 31-64] is used. In the first stage a DEA model is used to rank the airlines by their overall efficiency. In the second stage a bootstrapped truncated regression is used to evaluate the drivers of efficiency. The regressions test the roles played, respectively, by population and network alliance in the efficiency of the airlines. The implications of this research for managerial purposes are then drawn.
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- R. E. Caves & M. E. Porter, 1977. "From Entry Barriers to Mobility Barriers: Conjectural Decisions and Contrived Deterrence to New Competition," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 91(2), pages 241-261.
- Golany, B & Roll, Y, 1989. "An application procedure for DEA," Omega, Elsevier, vol. 17(3), pages 237-250.
- David Good & M. Nadiri & Lars-Hendrik Röller & Robin Sickles, 1993.
"Efficiency and productivity growth comparisons of European and U.S. Air carriers: A first look at the data,"
Journal of Productivity Analysis,
Springer, vol. 4(1), pages 115-125, June.
- Good, D.H. & Nadiri, M.I. & Roller, L.H. & Sickles, R., 1992. "Efficiency and Productivity Growth Comparisons of European and U.S. Air Carriers : A First Look at the Data," Working Papers 92-22, C.V. Starr Center for Applied Economics, New York University.
- Mei Xue & Patrick T. Harker, 1999. "Extensions of Modified DEA," Center for Financial Institutions Working Papers 99-07, Wharton School Center for Financial Institutions, University of Pennsylvania.
- Adler, Nicole & Golany, Boaz, 2001. "Evaluation of deregulated airline networks using data envelopment analysis combined with principal component analysis with an application to Western Europe," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 132(2), pages 260-273, July.
- Tim Coelli & Antonio Estache & Sergio Perelman & Lourdes Trujillo, 2003.
"A Primer on Efficiency Measurement for Utilities and Transport Regulators,"
World Bank Publications,
The World Bank, number 15149.
- Antonio Estache & Tim Coelli & Sergio Perelman & Lourdes Trujillo, 2003. "A Primer on Efficiency Measurement for Utilities and Transport Regulators," ULB Institutional Repository 2013/44106, ULB -- Universite Libre de Bruxelles.
- Barbot, Cristina & Costa, Ã lvaro & Sochirca, Elena, 2008. "Airlines performance in the new market context: A comparative productivity and efficiency analysis," Journal of Air Transport Management, Elsevier, vol. 14(5), pages 270-274.
- Ehrlich, Isaac & Georges Gallais-Hamonno & Zhiqiang Liu & Randall Lutter, 1994. "Productivity Growth and Firm Ownership: An Analytical and Empirical Investigation," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 102(5), pages 1006-1038, October.
- Kneip, Alois & Park, Byeong U. & Simar, L opold, 1998. "A Note On The Convergence Of Nonparametric Dea Estimators For Production Efficiency Scores," Econometric Theory, Cambridge University Press, vol. 14(06), pages 783-793, December.
- Purvez F. Captain & Robin C. Sickles, 1997. "Competition and market power in the European airline industry: 1976-90," Managerial and Decision Economics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 18(3), pages 209-225.
- Kumbhakar, Subal C, 1987. "Production Frontiers and Panel Data: An Application to U.S. Class 1 Railroads," Journal of Business & Economic Statistics, American Statistical Association, vol. 5(2), pages 249-255, April.
- Inglada, Vicente & Rey, Belen & Rodriguez-Alvarez, Ana & Coto-Millan, Pablo, 2006. "Liberalisation and efficiency in international air transport," Transportation Research Part A: Policy and Practice, Elsevier, vol. 40(2), pages 95-105, February.
- Boussofiane, A. & Dyson, R. G. & Thanassoulis, E., 1991. "Applied data envelopment analysis," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 52(1), pages 1-15, May.
- Charnes, A. & Cooper, W. W. & Rhodes, E., 1978. "Measuring the efficiency of decision making units," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 2(6), pages 429-444, November.
- Zinan Liu & E. L. Lynk, 1999. "Evidence on market structure of the deregulated US airline industry," Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 31(9), pages 1083-1092.
- Baltagi, Badi H & Griffin, James M & Rich, Daniel P, 1995. "Airline Deregulation: The Cost Pieces of the Puzzle," International Economic Review, Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania and Osaka University Institute of Social and Economic Research Association, vol. 36(1), pages 245-260, February.
- Sickles, Robin C. & Good, David & Johnson, Richard L., 1986. "Allocative distortions and the regulatory transition of the U.S. airline industry," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 33(1-2), pages 143-163.
- Oum, Tae Hoon & Yu, Chunyan, 1998. "Cost competitiveness of major airlines: an international comparison," Transportation Research Part A: Policy and Practice, Elsevier, vol. 32(6), pages 407-422, August.
- Fare, R & Primont, D, 1995. "On Inverse Homotheticity," Bulletin of Economic Research, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 47(2), pages 161-166, April.
- Robert Russell, R., 1990. "Continuity of measures of technical efficiency," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 51(2), pages 255-267, August.
- Raymond L. Raab & Richard W. Lichty, 2002. "Identifying Subareas That Comprise A Greater Metropolitan Area: The Criterion of County Relative Efficiency," Journal of Regional Science, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 42(3), pages 579-594.
- Dennis, Nigel, 2007. "End of the free lunch? The responses of traditional European airlines to the low-cost carrier threat," Journal of Air Transport Management, Elsevier, vol. 13(5), pages 311-321.
- Scheraga, Carl A., 2004. "Operational efficiency versus financial mobility in the global airline industry: a data envelopment and Tobit analysis," Transportation Research Part A: Policy and Practice, Elsevier, vol. 38(5), pages 383-404, June.
- R. D. Banker & A. Charnes & W. W. Cooper, 1984. "Some Models for Estimating Technical and Scale Inefficiencies in Data Envelopment Analysis," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 30(9), pages 1078-1092, September.
- Good, David H. & Roller, Lars-Hendrik & Sickles, Robin C., 1995. "Airline efficiency differences between Europe and the US: Implications for the pace of EC integration and domestic regulation," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 80(3), pages 508-518, February.
- Dyson, R. G. & Allen, R. & Camanho, A. S. & Podinovski, V. V. & Sarrico, C. S. & Shale, E. A., 2001. "Pitfalls and protocols in DEA," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 132(2), pages 245-259, July.
- Ouellette, Pierre & Petit, Patrick & Tessier-Parent, Louis-Philippe & Vigeant, Stéphane, 2010. "Introducing regulation in the measurement of efficiency, with an application to the Canadian air carriers industry," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 200(1), pages 216-226, January.
- Valentin Zelenyuk & Vitaliy Zheka, 2006. "Corporate Governance and Firm’s Efficiency: The Case of a Transitional Country, Ukraine," Journal of Productivity Analysis, Springer, vol. 25(1), pages 143-157, April.
- Veronique Distexhe & Sergio Perelman, 1994. "Technical Efficiency and Productivity Growth in an Era of Deregulation: the Case of Airlines," Swiss Journal of Economics and Statistics (SJES), Swiss Society of Economics and Statistics (SSES), vol. 130(IV), pages 669-689, December.
- Cornwell, Christopher & Schmidt, Peter & Sickles, Robin C., 1990.
"Production frontiers with cross-sectional and time-series variation in efficiency levels,"
Journal of Econometrics,
Elsevier, vol. 46(1-2), pages 185-200.
- Cornwell, Christopher & Schmidt, Peter & Sickles, Robin C., 1989. "Production Frontiers With Cross-Sectinal And Time-Series Variation In Efficiency Levels," Working Papers 89-18, C.V. Starr Center for Applied Economics, New York University.
- Greer, Mark R., 2008. "Nothing focuses the mind on productivity quite like the fear of liquidation: Changes in airline productivity in the United States, 2000-2004," Transportation Research Part A: Policy and Practice, Elsevier, vol. 42(2), pages 414-426, February.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:proeco:v:122:y:2009:i:2:p:525-533. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Dana Niculescu)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.