Introducing regulation in the measurement of efficiency, with an application to the Canadian air carriers industry
This paper proposes a method to measure efficiency in highly regulated capital-intensive industries in the presence of state-owned enterprises. We generalize the data envelopment analysis method to include regulation in the model, as well as the quasi-fixed nature of capital and its links with the firms' investment decisions. The framework is then applied to the Canadian air carriers industry to study the impact of regulation changes on the efficiency of the various carriers, between 1960 and 1999. Our results show that deregulation explains a large part of the measured inefficiency.
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- A. B. Treadway, 1969. "On Rational Entrepreneurial Behaviour and the Demand for Investment," Review of Economic Studies, Oxford University Press, vol. 36(2), pages 227-239.
- Pierre Lasserre & Pierre Ouellette, 1994.
"Factor Demands, Cost Functions, and Technology Measurements for Regulated Firms,"
Canadian Journal of Economics,
Canadian Economics Association, vol. 27(1), pages 218-242, February.
- Pierre Lasserre & Pierre Ouellette, 1992. "Factor Demands, Cost Functions, and Technology Measurements for Regulated Firms," Cahiers de recherche du Département des sciences économiques, UQAM 9201, Université du Québec à Montréal, Département des sciences économiques.
- Pierre Ouellette & Stéphane Vigeant, 2001. "On the existence of a regulated production function," Journal of Economics, Springer, vol. 73(2), pages 193-200, June.
- Ouellette, Pierre & Petit, Patrick & Vigeant, Stéphane, 2005. "Investment and regulation: the case of Canadian air carriers," Transportation Research Part E: Logistics and Transportation Review, Elsevier, vol. 41(2), pages 93-113, March.
- Daniel Bilodeau & Pierre-Yves Crémieux & Brigitte Jaumard & Pierre Ouellette & Tsévi Vovor, 2004. "Measuring Hospital Performance in the Presence of Quasi-Fixed Inputs: An Analysis of Québec Hospitals," Journal of Productivity Analysis, Springer, vol. 21(2), pages 183-199, March.
- Dyson, R. G. & Allen, R. & Camanho, A. S. & Podinovski, V. V. & Sarrico, C. S. & Shale, E. A., 2001. "Pitfalls and protocols in DEA," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 132(2), pages 245-259, July.
- Rajiv D. Banker & Richard C. Morey, 1986. "The Use of Categorical Variables in Data Envelopment Analysis," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 32(12), pages 1613-1627, December. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)