Inventory improvement and financial performance
This research reviews two contrasting views on the robustness of inventory improvement as an indicator of overall financial performance. These conceptual explorations lead to the testing of two hypotheses linking improved inventory performance with improved overall financial performance. Results indicate little or no relationship between inventory performance and overall financial performance.
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Thomas, Douglas J. & Griffin, Paul M., 1996. "Coordinated supply chain management," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 94(1), pages 1-15, October.
- Corbey, Michael & Jansen, Rutger, 1993. "The economic lot size and relevant costs," International Journal of Production Economics, Elsevier, vol. 30(1), pages 519-530, July.
- Wernerfelt, Birger & Montgomery, Cynthia A, 1988. "Tobin's q and the Importance of Focus in Firm Performance," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 78(1), pages 246-50, March.
- McArthur, Angeline W. & Nystrom, Paul C., 1991. "Environmental dynamism, complexity, and munificence as moderators of strategy-performance relationships," Journal of Business Research, Elsevier, vol. 23(4), pages 349-361, December.
- Kee H. Chung & Stephen W. Pruitt, 1994. "A Simple Approximation of Tobin's q," Financial Management, Financial Management Association, vol. 23(3), Fall.
- Kim, Seung-Lae & Ha, Daesung, 2003. "A JIT lot-splitting model for supply chain management: Enhancing buyer-supplier linkage," International Journal of Production Economics, Elsevier, vol. 86(1), pages 1-10, October.
- Lee J. Krajewski & Barry E. King & Larry P. Ritzman & Danny S. Wong, 1987. "Kanban, MRP, and Shaping the Manufacturing Environment," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 33(1), pages 39-57, January.
- Marvin B. Lieberman & Lieven Demeester, 1999. "Inventory Reduction and Productivity Growth: Linkages in the Japanese Automotive Industry," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 45(4), pages 466-485, April.
- Hong Chen & Murray Z. Frank & Owen Q. Wu, 2005. "What Actually Happened to the Inventories of American Companies Between 1981 and 2000?," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 51(7), pages 1015-1031, July.
- Gunasekaran, A. & Patel, C. & McGaughey, Ronald E., 2004. "A framework for supply chain performance measurement," International Journal of Production Economics, Elsevier, vol. 87(3), pages 333-347, February.
- Dudley, Leonard & Lasserre, Pierre, 1989.
"Information as a substitute for inventories,"
European Economic Review,
Elsevier, vol. 33(1), pages 67-88, January.
- Milgrom, Paul & Roberts, John, 1990. "The Economics of Modern Manufacturing: Technology, Strategy, and Organization," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 80(3), pages 511-28, June.
- Karel O. Cool & Dan Schendel, 1987. "Strategic Group Formation and Performance: The Case of the U.S. Pharmaceutical Industry, 1963--1982," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 33(9), pages 1102-1124, September.
- Vastag, Gyula & Clay Whybark, D., 2005. "Inventory management: Is there a knock-on effect?," International Journal of Production Economics, Elsevier, vol. 93(1), pages 129-138, January.
- Sadao Sakakibara & Barbara B. Flynn & Roger G. Schroeder & William T. Morris, 1997. "The Impact of Just-in-Time Manufacturing and Its Infrastructure on Manufacturing Performance," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 43(9), pages 1246-1257, September.
- Caron H. St John & Richard W. Pouder & Alan R. Cannon, 2003. "Environmental Uncertainty and Product-Process Life Cycles: A Multi-level Interpretation of Change Over Time," Journal of Management Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 40(2), pages 513-541, 03.
- S. Rajagopalan & Arvind Malhotra, 2001. "Have U.S. Manufacturing Inventories Really Decreased? An Empirical Study," Manufacturing & Service Operations Management, INFORMS, vol. 3(1), pages 14-24, June.
- Ghalayini, Alaa M. & Noble, James S. & Crowe, Thomas J., 1997. "An integrated dynamic performance measurement system for improving manufacturing competitiveness," International Journal of Production Economics, Elsevier, vol. 48(3), pages 207-225, February.
- Vishal Gaur & Marshall L. Fisher & Ananth Raman, 2005. "An Econometric Analysis of Inventory Turnover Performance in Retail Services," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 51(2), pages 181-194, February.
- Anandhi S. Bharadwaj & Sundar G. Bharadwaj & Benn R. Konsynski, 1999. "Information Technology Effects on Firm Performance as Measured by Tobin's q," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 45(7), pages 1008-1024, July.
- Philippe Robert-Demontrond & R. Ringoot, 2004. "Introduction," Post-Print halshs-00081823, HAL.
- Demeter, Krisztina, 2003. "Manufacturing strategy and competitiveness," International Journal of Production Economics, Elsevier, vol. 81(1), pages 2015-213, January.
- Lea, Bih-Ru & Fredendall, Lawrence D., 2002. "The impact of management accounting, product structure, product mix algorithm, and planning horizon on manufacturing performance," International Journal of Production Economics, Elsevier, vol. 79(3), pages 279-299, October.
- Fisher, Franklin M & McGowan, John J, 1983. "On the Misuse of Accounting Rates of Return to Infer Monopoly Profits," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 73(1), pages 82-97, March.
- Birger Wernerfelt & Cynthia A. Montgomery, 1986. "What is an Attractive Industry?," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 32(10), pages 1223-1230, October.
- Tobin, James, 1969. "A General Equilibrium Approach to Monetary Theory," Journal of Money, Credit and Banking, Blackwell Publishing, vol. 1(1), pages 15-29, February.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:proeco:v:115:y:2008:i:2:p:581-593. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.