Supply chain information in analyst reports on publicly traded companies
Analyst reports are an important source of secondary data on companies for understanding a company’s performance in the recent past and for getting guidance on its future performance. We therefore analyzed the text of 1028 equity analyst reports of 145 Fortune 500 Global companies (not including services sectors like IT or banking) published between 2009 and 2011 for supply chain related information. We found that nearly three-fifths of these reports contained supply chain information pertaining to inbound, process or outbound aspects of the supply chain of the company. At the report level, there are significant industry effects for supply chain related content in analyst reports. On the other hand, aggregating information at the company level, it appears that analysts focus on a particular supply chain aspect for a company as well as its sector. Furthermore, logistic regression analysis suggests a link between the supply chain information provided when this is positive in orientation and the buy/sell/hold recommendation of the analyst regarding the company’s stock.
Volume (Year): 171 (2016)
Issue (Month): P3 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/locate/ijpe|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Elton, Edwin J & Gruber, Martin J & Grossman, Seth, 1986. " Discrete Expectational Data and Portfolio Performance," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 41(3), pages 699-713, July.
- Frankel, Richard & Lee, Charles M. C., 1998. "Accounting valuation, market expectation, and cross-sectional stock returns," Journal of Accounting and Economics, Elsevier, vol. 25(3), pages 283-319, June.
- Demeter, Krisztina, 2003. "Manufacturing strategy and competitiveness," International Journal of Production Economics, Elsevier, vol. 81(1), pages 2015-2213, January.
- Womack, Kent L, 1996. " Do Brokerage Analysts' Recommendations Have Investment Value?," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 51(1), pages 137-167, March.
- Jensen, Michael C. & Meckling, William H., 1976. "Theory of the firm: Managerial behavior, agency costs and ownership structure," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 3(4), pages 305-360, October.
- Kevin B. Hendricks & Vinod R. Singhal, 2001. "The Long-Run Stock Price Performance of Firms with Effective TQM Programs," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 47(3), pages 359-368, March.
- Taylor Randall & Karl Ulrich, 2001. "Product Variety, Supply Chain Structure, and Firm Performance: Analysis of the U.S. Bicycle Industry," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 47(12), pages 1588-1604, December.
- Kim, Sok Tae & Lin, Ji-Chai & Slovin, Myron B., 1997. "Market Structure, Informed Trading, and Analysts' Recommendations," Journal of Financial and Quantitative Analysis, Cambridge University Press, vol. 32(04), pages 507-524, December.
- Akkermans, Henk A. & Bogerd, Paul & Yucesan, Enver & van Wassenhove, Luk N., 2003. "The impact of ERP on supply chain management: Exploratory findings from a European Delphi study," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 146(2), pages 284-301, April.
- repec:bla:joares:v:35:y:1997:i:2:p:193-211 is not listed on IDEAS
- Liu, Pu & Smith, Stanley D. & Syed, Azmat A., 1990. "Stock Price Reactions to The Wall Street Journal's Securities Recommendations," Journal of Financial and Quantitative Analysis, Cambridge University Press, vol. 25(03), pages 399-410, September.
- Ganeshan, Ram & Boone, Tonya & Stenger, Alan J., 2001. "The impact of inventory and flow planning parameters on supply chain performance: An exploratory study," International Journal of Production Economics, Elsevier, vol. 71(1-3), pages 111-118, May.
- Lys, Thomas & Sohn, Sungkyu, 1990. "The association between revisions of financial analysts' earnings forecasts and security-price changes," Journal of Accounting and Economics, Elsevier, vol. 13(4), pages 341-363, December.
- Yasunari Inamura & Tomonori Kimata & Takeshi Kimura & Takashi Muto, 2011. "Recent Surge in Global Commodity Prices-- Impact of financialization of commodities and globally accommodative monetary conditions --," Bank of Japan Review Series 11-E-2, Bank of Japan.
- Asquith, Paul & Mikhail, Michael B. & Au, Andrea S., 2005. "Information content of equity analyst reports," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 75(2), pages 245-282, February.
- Charles J. Corbett & María J. Montes-Sancho & David A. Kirsch, 2005. "The Financial Impact of ISO 9000 Certification in the United States: An Empirical Analysis," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 51(7), pages 1046-1059, July.
- Ramnath, Sundaresh & Rock, Steve & Shane, Philip, 2008. "The financial analyst forecasting literature: A taxonomy with suggestions for further research," International Journal of Forecasting, Elsevier, vol. 24(1), pages 34-75.
- Li, Suhong & Ragu-Nathan, Bhanu & Ragu-Nathan, T.S. & Subba Rao, S., 2006. "The impact of supply chain management practices on competitive advantage and organizational performance," Omega, Elsevier, vol. 34(2), pages 107-124, April.
- Mikhail, Michael B. & Walther, Beverly R. & Willis, Richard H., 2004. "Do security analysts exhibit persistent differences in stock picking ability?," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 74(1), pages 67-91, October.
- Bottani, Eleonora & Rizzi, Antonio, 2008. "Economical assessment of the impact of RFID technology and EPC system on the fast-moving consumer goods supply chain," International Journal of Production Economics, Elsevier, vol. 112(2), pages 548-569, April.
- repec:bla:joares:v:33:y:1995:i:2:p:335-351 is not listed on IDEAS
- González-Benito, Javier & González-Benito, Óscar, 2005. "Environmental proactivity and business performance: an empirical analysis," Omega, Elsevier, vol. 33(1), pages 1-15, February.
- Frankel, Richard & Kothari, S.P. & Weber, Joseph, 2006. "Determinants of the informativeness of analyst research," Journal of Accounting and Economics, Elsevier, vol. 41(1-2), pages 29-54, April.
- Beneish, Messod D, 1991. "Stock Prices and the Dissemination of Analysts' Recommendations," The Journal of Business, University of Chicago Press, vol. 64(3), pages 393-416, July.
- William Q. Judge, 1998. "Performance Implications of Incorporating Natural Environmental Issues into the Strategic Planning Process: An Empirical Assessment," Journal of Management Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 35(2), pages 241-262, March.
- Chung, Kee H. & Jo, Hoje, 1996. "The Impact of Security Analysts' Monitoring and Marketing Functions on the Market Value of Firms," Journal of Financial and Quantitative Analysis, Cambridge University Press, vol. 31(04), pages 493-512, December.
- Kevin B. Hendricks & Vinod R. Singhal, 2005. "Association Between Supply Chain Glitches and Operating Performance," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 51(5), pages 695-711, May.
- Shang, Kuo-chung & Marlow, Peter B., 2005. "Logistics capability and performance in Taiwan's major manufacturing firms," Transportation Research Part E: Logistics and Transportation Review, Elsevier, vol. 41(3), pages 217-234, May.
- Cannon, Alan R., 2008. "Inventory improvement and financial performance," International Journal of Production Economics, Elsevier, vol. 115(2), pages 581-593, October.
- John C. Easterwood & Stacey R. Nutt, 1999. "Inefficiency in Analysts' Earnings Forecasts: Systematic Misreaction or Systematic Optimism?," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 54(5), pages 1777-1797, October.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:proeco:v:171:y:2016:i:p3:p:350-360. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Dana Niculescu)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.