Trading model with pair pattern strategies
A simple trading model based on pair pattern strategy space with holding periods is proposed. Power-law behavior is observed for the return variance σ2, the price impact H and the predictability K for both models, with linear and square root impact functions. The sum of the traders’ wealth displays a positive value for the model with a square root price impact function, and a qualitative explanation is given based on the observation of the conditional excess demand 〈A|u〉. The cumulative wealth distribution also obeys a power-law behavior with an exponent close to that of real markets. An evolutionary trading model is further proposed. The elimination mechanism effectively changes the behavior of traders, and a power-law behavior is observed in the measure of zero return distribution P(r=0). The trading model with other types of traders, e.g., traders with the MG’s strategies and producers, are also carefully studied.
Volume (Year): 387 (2008)
Issue (Month): 22 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.journals.elsevier.com/physica-a-statistical-mechpplications/|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Li, Yi & Riolo, Rick & Savit, Robert, 2000. "Evolution in minority games. (II). Games with variable strategy spaces," Physica A: Statistical Mechanics and its Applications, Elsevier, vol. 276(1), pages 265-283.
- D. Challet & A. Chessa & M. Marsili & Y. -C. Zhang, 2000.
"From Minority Games to real markets,"
- Challet, Damien, 2008.
"Inter-pattern speculation: Beyond minority, majority and $-games,"
Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control,
Elsevier, vol. 32(1), pages 85-100, January.
- Damien Challet, 2005. "Inter-pattern speculation: beyond minority, majority and $-games," Finance 0503006, EconWPA.
- Hasbrouck, Joel, 1991. " Measuring the Information Content of Stock Trades," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 46(1), pages 179-207, March.
- J. Doyne Farmer, 2002.
"Market force, ecology and evolution,"
Industrial and Corporate Change,
Oxford University Press, vol. 11(5), pages 895-953, November.
- Paul Jefferies & Michael Hart & Neil Johnson & P.M. Hui, 2001. "From market games to real-world markets," OFRC Working Papers Series 2001mf02, Oxford Financial Research Centre.
- Wang, Jie & Yang, Chun-Xia & Zhou, Pei-Ling & Jin, Ying-Di & Zhou, Tao & Wang, Bing-Hong, 2005. "Evolutionary percolation model of stock market with variable agent number," Physica A: Statistical Mechanics and its Applications, Elsevier, vol. 354(C), pages 505-517.
- Challet, Damien & Marsili, Matteo & Zhang, Yi-Cheng, 2001.
"Stylized facts of financial markets and market crashes in Minority Games,"
Physica A: Statistical Mechanics and its Applications,
Elsevier, vol. 294(3), pages 514-524.
- Damien Challet & Matteo Marsili & Yi-Cheng Zhang, 2001. "Stylized facts of financial markets and market crashes in Minority Games," Papers cond-mat/0101326, arXiv.org.
- Challet, D. & Zhang, Y.-C., 1997. "Emergence of cooperation and organization in an evolutionary game," Physica A: Statistical Mechanics and its Applications, Elsevier, vol. 246(3), pages 407-418.
- Vasiliki Plerou & Parameswaran Gopikrishnan & Xavier Gabaix & H. Eugene Stanley, 2001. "Quantifying Stock Price Response to Demand Fluctuations," Papers cond-mat/0106657, arXiv.org.
- Levy, Moshe & Solomon, Sorin, 1997. "New evidence for the power-law distribution of wealth," Physica A: Statistical Mechanics and its Applications, Elsevier, vol. 242(1), pages 90-94.
- Arthur, W Brian, 1994. "Inductive Reasoning and Bounded Rationality," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 84(2), pages 406-11, May.
- R. Cont, 2001. "Empirical properties of asset returns: stylized facts and statistical issues," Quantitative Finance, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 1(2), pages 223-236.
- W. Brian Arthur, 1994. "Inductive Reasoning, Bounded Rationality and the Bar Problem," Working Papers 94-03-014, Santa Fe Institute.
- Arnab Chatterjee & Bikas K. Chakrabarti & Robin B. Stinchcombe, 2005. "Master equation for a kinetic model of trading market and its analytic solution," Papers cond-mat/0501413, arXiv.org, revised Aug 2005.
- Li, Yi & Riolo, Rick & Savit, Robert, 2000. "Evolution in minority games. (I). Games with a fixed strategy space," Physica A: Statistical Mechanics and its Applications, Elsevier, vol. 276(1), pages 234-264.
- Sysi-Aho, Marko & Chakraborti, Anirban & Kaski, Kimmo, 2003. "Adaptation using hybridized genetic crossover strategies," Physica A: Statistical Mechanics and its Applications, Elsevier, vol. 322(C), pages 701-709.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:phsmap:v:387:y:2008:i:22:p:5523-5534. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Shamier, Wendy)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.