Equivalence of optimal noisy-ranking contests and Tullock contests
We analyze a noisy-ranking contest in which participants compete in several dimensions. The organizer randomly samples a number of dimensions and awards a prize to the most productive agent. When the contest is optimally designed, we establish a structural equivalence between this family of noisy-ranking contests and contests built upon Tullock contest success functions. Our result also shows that in this class of noisy-contests, the profit-maximization problem of the planner can be turned into a stochastic choice problem for a planner who has some deterministic preferences over the contestants’ win probabilities.
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Clark, Derek J. & Konrad, Kai A., 2007. "Contests with multi-tasking," Munich Reprints in Economics 22095, University of Munich, Department of Economics.
- Congleton, Roger D., 1984. "Committees and rent-seeking effort," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 25(1-2), pages 197-209, November.
- Birendra Rai & Rajiv Sarin, 2009. "Generalized contest success functions," Economic Theory, Springer, vol. 40(1), pages 139-149, July.
- Luis Corchón & Matthias Dahm, 2010.
"Foundations for contest success functions,"
Springer, vol. 43(1), pages 81-98, April.
- Corchon, Luis, 2009.
"Welfare Maximizing Contest Success Functions when the Planner Cannot Commit,"
18761, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Corchón, Luis & Dahm, Matthias, 2011. "Welfare maximizing contest success functions when the planner cannot commit," Journal of Mathematical Economics, Elsevier, vol. 47(3), pages 309-317.
- Luis Corchon & Matthias Dahm, 2009. "Welfare maximizing contest success functions when the planner cannot commit," Economics Working Papers we097343, Universidad Carlos III, Departamento de Economía.
- Hao Jia, 2008. "A stochastic derivation of the ratio form of contest success functions," Public Choice, Springer, vol. 135(3), pages 125-130, June.
- Machina, Mark J, 1985. "Stochastic Choice Functions Generated from Deterministic Preferences over Lotteries," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 95(379), pages 575-94, September.
- Pradeep Dubey & Chien-wei Wu, 2000.
"Competitive Prizes: When Less Scrutiny Induces More Effort,"
Cowles Foundation Discussion Papers
1255, Cowles Foundation for Research in Economics, Yale University.
- Dubey, Pradeep & Wu, Chien-wei, 2001. "Competitive prizes: when less scrutiny induces more effort," Journal of Mathematical Economics, Elsevier, vol. 36(4), pages 311-336, December.
- Klumpp, Tilman & Polborn, Mattias K., 2006. "Primaries and the New Hampshire Effect," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 90(6-7), pages 1073-1114, August.
- Clark, Derek & Konrad, Kai A., 2006.
"Contests with multi-tasking
[Contests with Multi-Tasking]," Discussion Papers, Research Unit: Market Processes and Governance SP II 2006-14, Social Science Research Center Berlin (WZB).
- Clark, Derek J. & Konrad, Kai A., 2006. "Contests with multi-tasking," Discussion Paper Series of SFB/TR 15 Governance and the Efficiency of Economic Systems 125, Free University of Berlin, Humboldt University of Berlin, University of Bonn, University of Mannheim, University of Munich.
- Nitzan, Shmuel, 1994. "Modelling rent-seeking contests," European Journal of Political Economy, Elsevier, vol. 10(1), pages 41-60, May.
- Konrad, Kai A., 2009. "Strategy and Dynamics in Contests," OUP Catalogue, Oxford University Press, number 9780199549603, March.
- Yeon-Koo Che & Ian Gale, 1998.
"Caps on Political Lobbying,"
- Dixit, Avinash K, 1987. "Strategic Behavior in Contests," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 77(5), pages 891-98, December.
- Amegashie, J Atsu, 2002. " Committees and Rent-Seeking Effort under Probabilistic Voting," Public Choice, Springer, vol. 112(3-4), pages 345-50, September.
- Skaperdas, Stergios & Gan, Li, 1995. "Risk Aversion in Contests," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 105(431), pages 951-62, July.
- Skaperdas, Stergios, 1996.
"Contest Success Functions,"
Springer, vol. 7(2), pages 283-90, February.
- Matthias Dahm & Nicolas Porteiro, 2005. "A Micro- Foundation for Non-Deterministic Contests of the Logit Form," Discussion Papers 1410, Northwestern University, Center for Mathematical Studies in Economics and Management Science.
- Richard L. Fullerton & R. Preston McAfee, 1999. "Auctioning Entry into Tournaments," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 107(3), pages 573-605, June.
- Blavatskyy, Pavlo R., 2010. "Contest success function with the possibility of a draw: Axiomatization," Journal of Mathematical Economics, Elsevier, vol. 46(2), pages 267-276, March.
- Gil Epstein & Shmuel Nitzan, 2006. "The Politics of Randomness," Social Choice and Welfare, Springer, vol. 27(2), pages 423-433, October.
- Baye, Michael R. & Hoppe, Heidrun C., 2003. "The strategic equivalence of rent-seeking, innovation, and patent-race games," Games and Economic Behavior, Elsevier, vol. 44(2), pages 217-226, August.
- Jack Hirshleifer, 1989. "Conflict and rent-seeking success functions: Ratio vs. difference models of relative success," Public Choice, Springer, vol. 63(2), pages 101-112, November.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:mateco:v:47:y:2011:i:6:p:740-748. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.