Harmonic symmetries of imperfect competition on circular city
Taking location as given, we study imperfect competition on a circular city. In Bertrand oligopoly, we identify price harmonics as a function of firm unit costs and locations. The sum of oligopoly profits is larger when costs and/or locations are more dispersed in the [`]dihedral majorization' sense. This also tends to be the case in which prices are more variable. We study how phase shifts between cost parameters and inter-firm distance parameters change production and oligopoly profits. An exact characterization of production patterns is developed in terms of the eigenvalues for what we call the price harmonics matrix. The same techniques are applied to Cournot oligopoly with spatial externalities on circular city. Solutions are compared with first-best. Production patterns can differ markedly when cost spillovers are negative.
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Greg Shaffer & Stephen W. Salant, 1999. "Unequal Treatment of Identical Agents in Cournot Equilibrium," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 89(3), pages 585-604, June.
- Steinmetz, Sebastien, 1998. "Spatial preemption with finitely lived equipments," International Journal of Industrial Organization, Elsevier, vol. 16(2), pages 253-270, March.
- Barnett, William A. & Choi, Ki-Hong, 2006.
"Operational identification of the complete class of superlative index numbers: an application of Galois theory,"
416, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Barnett, William A. & Choi, Ki-Hong, 2008. "Operational identification of the complete class of superlative index numbers: An application of Galois theory," Journal of Mathematical Economics, Elsevier, vol. 44(7-8), pages 603-612, July.
- William Barnett & Ki-Hong Choi, 2006. "Operational identification of the complete class of superlative index numbers: an application of Galois theory," WORKING PAPERS SERIES IN THEORETICAL AND APPLIED ECONOMICS 200604, University of Kansas, Department of Economics.
- Jingang Zhao, 1999.
"A Characterization of the Negative Welfare Effects of Cost Reduction in Cournot Oligopoly,"
99-06, Ohio State University, Department of Economics.
- Zhao, Jingang, 2001. "A characterization for the negative welfare effects of cost reduction in Cournot oligopoly," International Journal of Industrial Organization, Elsevier, vol. 19(3-4), pages 455-469, March.
- Ibragimov, Rustam & Ibragimov, Marat, 2007.
"Market Demand Elasticity and Income Inequality,"
2623728, Harvard University Department of Economics.
- Conley, T. G., 1999. "GMM estimation with cross sectional dependence," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 92(1), pages 1-45, September.
- Hennessy, David A. & Lapan, Harvey E., 2004. "Market Cycles for a Non-Storable Product Under Adjustment Costs," Staff General Research Papers 12208, Iowa State University, Department of Economics.
- Long, Ngo Van & Soubeyran, Antoine, 2001.
"Cost Manipulation Games in Oligopoly, with Costs of Manipulating,"
International Economic Review,
Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania and Osaka University Institute of Social and Economic Research Association, vol. 42(2), pages 505-33, May.
- Ngo Van Long & Antoine Soubeyran, 1999. "Cost Manipulation Games in Oligopoly, with Costs of Manipulating," CIRANO Working Papers 99s-13, CIRANO.
- Kats, Amoz, 1995. "More on Hotelling's stability in competition," International Journal of Industrial Organization, Elsevier, vol. 13(1), pages 89-93, March.
- Hennessy, David A. & Lapan, Harvey E., 2003. "Algebraic Theory of Portfolio Allocation, An," Staff General Research Papers 10109, Iowa State University, Department of Economics.
- Yannis Ioannides, 2001.
"Topologies of Social Interactions,"
Discussion Papers Series, Department of Economics, Tufts University
0104, Department of Economics, Tufts University.
- Yannis M. Ioannides, 2004. "Topologies Of Social Interactions," Econometric Society 2004 North American Winter Meetings 287, Econometric Society.
- Russell, Thomas & Farris, Frank, 1993. "The geometric structure of some systems of demand equations," Journal of Mathematical Economics, Elsevier, vol. 22(4), pages 309-325.
- Fevrier, Philippe & Linnemer, Laurent, 2004. "Idiosyncratic shocks in an asymmetric Cournot oligopoly," International Journal of Industrial Organization, Elsevier, vol. 22(6), pages 835-848, June.
- d'Aspremont, Claude & Jacquemin, Alexis, 1988.
"Cooperative and Noncooperative R&D in Duopoly with Spillovers,"
American Economic Review,
American Economic Association, vol. 78(5), pages 1133-37, December.
- d'ASPREMONT, Claude & JACQUEMIN, Alexis, . "Cooperative and noncooperative R&D in duopoly with spillovers," CORE Discussion Papers RP -823, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Papageorgiou, Yorgo Y & Smith, Terrence R, 1983. "Agglomeration as Local Instability of Spatially Uniform Steady-States," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 51(4), pages 1109-19, July.
- David Hennessy & Harvey Lapan, 2005. "An algebraic theory of multi-product decisions," Economic Theory, Springer, vol. 25(4), pages 819-829, 06.
- B. Curtis Eaton & Myrna Holtz Wooders, 1985. "Sophisticated Entry in a Model of Spatial Competition," RAND Journal of Economics, The RAND Corporation, vol. 16(2), pages 282-297, Summer.
- Steven C. Salop, 1979. "Monopolistic Competition with Outside Goods," Bell Journal of Economics, The RAND Corporation, vol. 10(1), pages 141-156, Spring.
- Gupta, Barnali & Lai, Fu-Chuan & Pal, Debashis & Sarkar, Jyotirmoy & Yu, Chia-Ming, 2004. "Where to locate in a circular city?," International Journal of Industrial Organization, Elsevier, vol. 22(6), pages 759-782, June.
- Dixit, Avinash K, 1986. "Comparative Statics for Oligopoly," International Economic Review, Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania and Osaka University Institute of Social and Economic Research Association, vol. 27(1), pages 107-22, February.
- David A. Hennessy & Harvey E. Lapan, 2003. "An algebraic theory of portfolio allocation," Economic Theory, Springer, vol. 22(1), pages 193-210, 08.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:mateco:v:45:y:2009:i:1-2:p:124-146. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.