An econometric analysis of private sector participation in China’s urban water supply
This paper explores the impact of private sector participation on industrial performance of urban water supply by using panel data for 35 major cities in China over the period 1998 to 2008. We find that the introduction of private sector participation is significantly correlated with improvement in integrated production capacity and water coverage rate, but not correlated with the investment in fixed assets. Private sector participation has a positive impact on the integrated production capacity in the developed eastern cities and contributes to narrowing the gap of water coverage rate between the less developed central and western cities and the more developed eastern cities. We also find that the participation of foreign companies, but not domestic private companies, significantly improves water industry performance. The research sheds some light on the importance of private participation in urban water markets. However, the performance of domestic private firms in urban water supply still needs be improved.
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Colin Kirkpatrick & David Parker & Yin-Fang Zhang, 2006. "An Empirical Analysis of State and Private-Sector Provision of Water Services in Africa," World Bank Economic Review, World Bank Group, vol. 20(1), pages 143-163.
- James J. Heckman, 1977.
"Dummy Endogenous Variables in a Simultaneous Equation System,"
NBER Working Papers
0177, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Heckman, James J, 1978. "Dummy Endogenous Variables in a Simultaneous Equation System," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 46(4), pages 931-59, July.
- Donald, Stephen G & Sappington, David E M, 1997. "Choosing among Regulatory Options in the United States Telecommunications Industry," Journal of Regulatory Economics, Springer, vol. 12(3), pages 227-43, November.
- Antonio Estache & MartÌn A. Rossi, 2002.
"How Different Is the Efficiency of Public and Private Water Companies in Asia?,"
World Bank Economic Review,
World Bank Group, vol. 16(1), pages 139-148, June.
- Antonio Estache & Martin Rossi, 2002. "How different is the efficiency of Public and Private Water Companies in Asia," ULB Institutional Repository 2013/43984, ULB -- Universite Libre de Bruxelles.
- Anne O. Krueger, 1990.
"Government Failures in Development,"
NBER Working Papers
3340, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Sebastian Galiani & Paul Gertler & Ernesto Schargrodsky, 2002.
"Water for Life: The Impact of the Privatization of Water Services on Child Mortality,"
54, Universidad de San Andres, Departamento de Economia, revised Sep 2005.
- Sebastian Galiani & Paul Gertler & Ernesto Schargrodsky, 2005. "Water for Life: The Impact of the Privatization of Water Services on Child Mortality," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 113(1), pages 83-120, February.
- Kornai, Janos & Weibull, Jorgen W., 1983. "Paternalism, buyers' and sellers' market," Mathematical Social Sciences, Elsevier, vol. 6(2), pages 153-169, November.
- Colin Kirkpatrick & David Parker, 2005. "Domestic Regulation and the WTO: The Case of Water Services in Developing Countries," The World Economy, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 28(10), pages 1491-1508, October.
- Antonio Estache & A. Gomez-Lobo & D. Leipziger, 2001.
"Utilities Privatization and the Poor: Lessons and evidence from Latin America,"
ULB Institutional Repository
2013/43997, ULB -- Universite Libre de Bruxelles.
- Estache, Antonio & Gomez-Lobo, Andres & Leipziger, Danny, 2001. "Utilities Privatization and the Poor: Lessons and Evidence from Latin America," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 29(7), pages 1179-1198, July.
- Estache, Antonio & Kouassi, Eugene, 2002. "Sector organization, governance, and the inefficiency of African water utilities," Policy Research Working Paper Series 2890, The World Bank.
- Ros, Agustin J, 1999. "Does Ownership or Competition Matter? The Effects of Telecommunications Reform on Network Expansion and Efficiency," Journal of Regulatory Economics, Springer, vol. 15(1), pages 65-92, January.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:juipol:v:19:y:2011:i:3:p:134-141. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Shamier, Wendy)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.