Inflation targeting and the exchange rate: Does it matter in Turkey?
This paper investigates the monetary policy reaction functions of the Central Bank of Republic of Turkey (CBRT) over the periods 1987:01-2001:12 and 2002:01-2009:05. We specifically attempt to shed light on question to what extent exchange rate developments still continue to influence monetary policy, even under inflation targeting. This study seeks to investigate how the monetary policy responded to the exchange rate shocks before and after adoption of inflation targeting regime. How large the effect of exchange rate shocks is accounted for in forecast error variances decompositions for monetary policy as compared to other shocks? Using the VAR model, this study shows that there has been strong pass-through during whole period. Moreover, in the postcrisis period, exchange rate has been the main reaction variable for the CBRT.
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- David Mayes & Matti Viren, 2002.
"Asymmetry and the Problem of Aggregation in the Euro Area,"
Springer, vol. 29(1), pages 47-73, March.
- Mayes, David G & Virén, Matti, 2000. "Asymmetry and the Problem of Aggregation in the Euro Area," Research Discussion Papers 11/2000, Bank of Finland.
- Guillermo A. Calvo & Carmen M. Reinhart, 2000.
"Fear of Floating,"
NBER Working Papers
7993, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Us, Vuslat, 2004. "Inflation dynamics and monetary policy strategy: some prospects for the Turkish economy," Journal of Policy Modeling, Elsevier, vol. 26(8-9), pages 1003-1013, December.
- M. Ege Yazgan & Hakan Yilmazkuday, 2007.
"Monetary policy rules in practice: evidence from Turkey and Israel,"
Applied Financial Economics,
Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 17(1), pages 1-8.
- Ege YAZGAN & Hakan YILMAZKUDAY, . "Monetary Policy Rules in Practice: Evidence from Turkey and Israel," Middle East and North Africa 330400057, EcoMod.
- Hakan Berument & Hakan Taş�i, 2004.
"Monetary policy rules in practice: evidence from Turkey,"
International Journal of Finance & Economics,
John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 9(1), pages 33-38.
- Hakan Berument & Hakan Tasci, 2003. "Monetary Policy Rules in Practice : Evidence from Turkey," Working Papers 0305, Department of Economics, Bilkent University.
- Svensson, Lars E O, 1998.
"Open-Economy Inflation Targeting,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
1989, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Svensson, L.E.O., 1998. "Open-Economy Inflation Targeting," Papers 638, Stockholm - International Economic Studies.
- Lars E. O. Svensson, 2000. "Open-Economy Inflation Targeting," NBER Working Papers 6545, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Svensson, Lars E.O., 1998. "Open-Economy Inflation Targeting," Seminar Papers 638, Stockholm University, Institute for International Economic Studies.
- Hakan Berument & Kamuran Malatyali, 2000. "The implicit reaction function of the Central Bank of the Republic of Turkey," Applied Economics Letters, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 7(7), pages 425-430.
- Taylor, John B., 1993. "Discretion versus policy rules in practice," Carnegie-Rochester Conference Series on Public Policy, Elsevier, vol. 39(1), pages 195-214, December.
- Nejla Adanur Aklan & Mehmet Nargelecekenler, 2008. "Taylor Rule in Practice: Evidence from Turkey," International Advances in Economic Research, International Atlantic Economic Society, vol. 14(2), pages 156-166, May.
- Bofinger, Peter, 2001. "Monetary Policy: Goals, Institutions, Strategies, and Instruments," OUP Catalogue, Oxford University Press, number 9780199248568, March.
- Vuslat Us, 2007. "Alternative Monetary Policy Rules in the Turkish Economy Under an Inflation-Targeting Framework," Emerging Markets Finance and Trade, M.E. Sharpe, Inc., vol. 43(2), pages 82-101, April.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:jpolmo:v:32:y::i:3:p:339-354. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.