Second order optimality for estimators in time series regression models
We consider the second order asymptotic properties of an efficient frequency domain regression coefficient estimator proposed by Hannan [Regression for time series, Proc. Sympos. Time Series Analysis (Brown Univ., 1962), Wiley, New York, 1963, pp. 17-37]. This estimator is a semiparametric estimator based on nonparametric spectral estimators. We derive the second order Edgeworth expansion of the distribution of . Then it is shown that the second order asymptotic properties are independent of the bandwidth choice for residual spectral estimator, which implies that has the same rate of convergence as in regular parametric estimation. This is a sharp contrast with the general semiparametric estimation theory. We also examine the second order Gaussian efficiency of . Numerical studies are given to confirm the theoretical results.
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Volume (Year): 98 (2007)
Issue (Month): 3 (March)
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/wps/find/journaldescription.cws_home/622892/description#description|
|Order Information:|| Postal: http://www.elsevier.com/wps/find/supportfaq.cws_home/regional|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Oliver Linton & Zhijie Xiao, 2001.
"Second-order approximation for adaptive regression estimators,"
LSE Research Online Documents on Economics
317, London School of Economics and Political Science, LSE Library.
- Linton, Oliver & Xiao, Zhijie, 2001. "Second-Order Approximation For Adaptive Regression Estimators," Econometric Theory, Cambridge University Press, vol. 17(05), pages 984-1024, October.
- Oliver Linton, 1993.
"Second Order Approximation in the Partially Linear Regression Model,"
Cowles Foundation Discussion Papers
1065, Cowles Foundation for Research in Economics, Yale University.
- Linton, Oliver, 1995. "Second Order Approximation in the Partially Linear Regression Model," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 63(5), pages 1079-1112, September.
- Xiao, Zhijie & Phillips, Peter C. B., 1998. "Higher-order approximations for frequency domain time series regression," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 86(2), pages 297-336, June.
- Toyooka, Yasuyuki, 1985. "Second-order risk comparison of SLSE with GLSE and MLE in a regression with serial correlation," Journal of Multivariate Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 17(2), pages 107-126, October.
- Taniguchi, Masanobu & Puri, Madan L. & Kondo, Masao, 1996. "Nonparametric Approach for Non-Gaussian Vector Stationary Processes," Journal of Multivariate Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 56(2), pages 259-283, February.
- Carlos Velasco & Peter M. Robinson, 2001.
"Edgeworth expansions for spectral density estimates and studentized sample mean,"
LSE Research Online Documents on Economics
315, London School of Economics and Political Science, LSE Library.
- Velasco, Carlos & Robinson, Peter M., 2001. "Edgeworth Expansions For Spectral Density Estimates And Studentized Sample Mean," Econometric Theory, Cambridge University Press, vol. 17(03), pages 497-539, June.
- Peter M. Robinson & Carlos Velasco, 2000. "Edgeworth expansions for spectral density estimates and studentized sample mean," LSE Research Online Documents on Economics 2148, London School of Economics and Political Science, LSE Library.
- Rothenberg, Thomas J, 1984. "Approximate Normality of Generalized Least Squares Estimates," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 52(4), pages 811-825, July.
- Taniguchi, Masanobu & van Garderen, Kees Jan & Puri, Madan L., 2003. "Higher Order Asymptotic Theory For Minimum Contrast Estimators Of Spectral Parameters Of Stationary Processes," Econometric Theory, Cambridge University Press, vol. 19(06), pages 984-1007, December.
- Robinson, P M, 1991. "Automatic Frequency Domain Inference on Semiparametric and Nonparametric Models," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 59(5), pages 1329-1363, September.
- Xiao, Zhijie & Phillips, Peter C. B., 2002. "Higher order approximations for Wald statistics in time series regressions with integrated processes," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 108(1), pages 157-198, May.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:jmvana:v:98:y:2007:i:3:p:638-659. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Shamier, Wendy)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.