Edgeworth Expansions For Spectral Density Estimates And Studentized Sample Mean
We establish valid Edgeworth expansions for the distribution of smoothed nonparametric spectral estimates, and of studentized versions of linear statistics such as the sample mean, where the studentization employs such a nonparametric spectral estimate. Particular attention is paid to the spectral estimate at zero frequency and, correspondingly, the studentized sample mean, to reflect econometric interest in autocorrelation-consistent or long-run variance estimation. Our main focus is on stationary Gaussian series, though we discuss relaxation of the Gaussianity assumption. Only smoothness conditions on the spectral density that are local to the frequency of interest are imposed. We deduce empirical expansions from our Edgeworth expansions designed to improve on the normal approximation in practice and also deduce a feasible rule of bandwidth choice.
(This abstract was borrowed from another version of this item.)
Volume (Year): 17 (2001)
Issue (Month): 03 (June)
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Web page: http://journals.cambridge.org/jid_ECT
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Taniguchi, Masanobu, 1987. "Validity of Edgeworth expansions of minimum contrast estimators for Gaussian ARMA processes," Journal of Multivariate Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 21(1), pages 1-28, February.
- Phillips, Peter C B, 1977. "Approximations to Some Finite Sample Distributions Associated with a First-Order Stochastic Difference Equation," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 45(2), pages 463-85, March.
- Phillips, P C B, 1980. "Finite Sample Theory and the Distributions of Alternative Estimators of the Marginal Propensity to Consume," Review of Economic Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 47(1), pages 183-224, January.
- Daniel Janas, 1994. "Edgeworth expansions for spectral mean estimates with applications to Whittle estimates," Annals of the Institute of Statistical Mathematics, Springer, vol. 46(4), pages 667-682, December.
- Robinson, P M, 1991. "Automatic Frequency Domain Inference on Semiparametric and Nonparametric Models," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 59(5), pages 1329-63, September.
- Robinson, P. M., 1995. "The approximate distribution of nonparametric regression estimates," Statistics & Probability Letters, Elsevier, vol. 23(2), pages 193-201, May.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:cup:etheor:v:17:y:2001:i:03:p:497-539_17. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Keith Waters)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.