Hospital ownership type and treatment choices
In the face of increasing health care costs, taxing not-for-profit hospitals may be seen as the right choice to increase government revenues if not-for-profit hospitals are not different from their for-profit counterparts. This study investigates how hospital ownership type affects treatment choices to show whether ownership type and teaching status are correlated with choosing a procedure as the treatment and how these choices relate to patient insurance type. Not-for-profit hospitals significantly differ from for-profits in terms of treatment choices of less profitable patients and all hospitals are more likely to accord the procedure when the patient is privately insured than uninsured though teaching government hospitals are the most likely to accord the procedures for all insurance types. Considering treatment choices, not-for-profit hospitals have different objectives than for-profit and government hospitals and in terms of profit-seeking behavior, not-for-profit hospitals seem to lie between for-profit and government hospitals.
Volume (Year): 31 (2012)
Issue (Month): 2 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/locate/inca/505560|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Sloan, Frank A. & Picone, Gabriel A. & TaylorJr., Donald H. & Chou, Shin-Yi, 2001.
"Hospital ownership and cost and quality of care: is there a dime's worth of difference?,"
Journal of Health Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 20(1), pages 1-21, January.
- Frank A. Sloan & Gabriel A. Picone & Donald H. Taylor, Jr. & Shin-Yi Chou, 1998. "Hospital Ownership and Cost and Quality of Care: Is There a Dime's Worth of Difference?," NBER Working Papers 6706, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Sloan, Frank A. & Picone, Gabriel A. & Taylor, Donald H., Jr. & Chou, Shin-Yi, 2000. "Hospital Ownership and Cost and Quality of Care: Is There a Dime's Worth of Difference?," Working Papers 00-11, Duke University, Department of Economics.
- Horwitz, Jill R. & Nichols, Austin, 2009. "Hospital ownership and medical services: Market mix, spillover effects, and nonprofit objectives," Journal of Health Economics, Elsevier, vol. 28(5), pages 924-937, September.
- Pauly, Mark V & Redisch, Michael, 1973. "The Not-For-Profit Hospital as a Physicians' Cooperative," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 63(1), pages 87-99, March.
- Pauline Vaillancourt Rosenau & Stephen H. Linder, 2003. "Two Decades of Research Comparing For-Profit and Nonprofit Health Provider Performance in the United States," Social Science Quarterly, Southwestern Social Science Association, vol. 84(2), pages 219-241. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)