Shifted deductibles for high risks: More effective in reducing moral hazard than traditional deductibles
Download full text from publisher
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to search for a different version of it.
References listed on IDEAS
- Manning, Willard G, et al, 1987. "Health Insurance and the Demand for Medical Care: Evidence from a Randomized Experiment," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 77(3), pages 251-277, June.
- Feldstein, Martin S, 1973. "The Welfare Loss of Excess Health Insurance," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 81(2), pages 251-280, Part I, M.
- Joan L. Buchanan & Emmett B. Keeler & John E. Rolph & Martin R. Holmer, 1991. "Simulating Health Expenditures Under Alternative Insurance Plans," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 37(9), pages 1067-1090, September.
- Cutler, David M. & Zeckhauser, Richard J., 2000. "The anatomy of health insurance," Handbook of Health Economics,in: A. J. Culyer & J. P. Newhouse (ed.), Handbook of Health Economics, edition 1, volume 1, chapter 11, pages 563-643 Elsevier.
- Zweifel, Peter & Manning, Willard G., 2000. "Moral hazard and consumer incentives in health care," Handbook of Health Economics,in: A. J. Culyer & J. P. Newhouse (ed.), Handbook of Health Economics, edition 1, volume 1, chapter 8, pages 409-459 Elsevier.
- Michael Breuer, 2005. "Multiple Losses, "EX ANTE" Moral Hazard, and the Implications for Umbrella Policies," Journal of Risk & Insurance, The American Risk and Insurance Association, vol. 72(4), pages 525-538.
- Duan, Naihua, et al, 1983. "A Comparison of Alternative Models for the Demand for Medical Care," Journal of Business & Economic Statistics, American Statistical Association, vol. 1(2), pages 115-126, April.
- Keeler, Emmett B. & Rolph, John E., 1988. "The demand for episodes of treatment in the health insurance experiment," Journal of Health Economics, Elsevier, vol. 7(4), pages 337-367, December.
- Keeler, Emmett B & Newhouse, Joseph P & Phelps, C E, 1977. "Deductibles and the Demand for Medical Care Services: The Theory of a Consumer Facing a Variable Price Schedule under Uncertainty," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 45(3), pages 641-655, April.
- Zeckhauser, Richard, 1970. "Medical insurance: A case study of the tradeoff between risk spreading and appropriate incentives," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 2(1), pages 10-26, March.
- Manning, Willard G. & Mullahy, John, 2001.
"Estimating log models: to transform or not to transform?,"
Journal of Health Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 20(4), pages 461-494, July.
- Willard G. Manning & John Mullahy, 1999. "Estimating Log Models: To Transform or Not to Transform?," NBER Technical Working Papers 0246, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Chernew, Michael E. & Encinosa, William E. & Hirth, Richard A., 2000. "Optimal health insurance: the case of observable, severe illness," Journal of Health Economics, Elsevier, vol. 19(5), pages 585-609, September.
CitationsCitations are extracted by the CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- van Esch, Thamar E.M. & Brabers, Anne E.M. & van Dijk, Christel E. & Gusdorf, Lisette & Groenewegen, Peter P. & de Jong, Judith D., 2017. "Increased cost sharing and changes in noncompliance with specialty referrals in The Netherlands," Health Policy, Elsevier, vol. 121(2), pages 180-188.
- Ziebarth, Nicolas R., 2011.
"Assessing the Effectiveness of Health Care Cost Containment Measures,"
IZA Discussion Papers
5602, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Nicolas R. Ziebarth, 2011. "Assessing the Effectiveness of Health Care Cost Containment Measures," SOEPpapers on Multidisciplinary Panel Data Research 352, DIW Berlin, The German Socio-Economic Panel (SOEP).
- Nicolas Ziebarth, 2014. "Assessing the effectiveness of health care cost containment measures: evidence from the market for rehabilitation care," International Journal of Health Economics and Management, Springer, vol. 14(1), pages 41-67, March.
- Anne-Fleur Roos & Frederik Schut, 2012. "Spillover effects of supplementary on basic health insurance: evidence from the Netherlands," The European Journal of Health Economics, Springer;Deutsche Gesellschaft für Gesundheitsökonomie (DGGÖ), vol. 13(1), pages 51-62, February.
- Holland, Daniel S. & Jannot, Jason E., 2012. "Bycatch risk pools for the US West Coast Groundfish Fishery," Ecological Economics, Elsevier, vol. 78(C), pages 132-147.
- van Winssen, K.P.M. & van Kleef, R.C. & van de Ven, W.P.M.M., 2015. "How profitable is a voluntary deductible in health insurance for the consumer?," Health Policy, Elsevier, vol. 119(5), pages 688-695.
More about this item
KeywordsHealth insurance Deductibles Moral hazard Health status Risk;
StatisticsAccess and download statistics
All material on this site has been provided by the respective publishers and authors. You can help correct errors and omissions. When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:jhecon:v:28:y:2009:i:1:p:198-209. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Dana Niculescu). General contact details of provider: http://www.elsevier.com/locate/inca/505560 .